2022 Film Challenge

Tools    

I chose this one for my K4. Good stuff

File this one under "Films I wouldn't have found on my own".
Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I only started watching Kiarostami's films last year but I'm a fan--his movies just bristle with humanity. And I watched this particular one because it fit one of last year's categories, so I'm happy to have paid that forward.

his movies just bristle with humanity.
Yeah, on paper this film shouldn't be as riveting as it is. The story is an interesting one but hardly "juicy". The entire incident was over in 3 days, with no real harm done to anyone. A good 80% of the film (seemingly) is just the same shot of the defendant's face in the courtroom. And at a pivotal moment the audio goes haywire. And yet I couldn't take my eyes off any of it.

The trick is not minding
Ok, so for the following category, I’m having a slight problem.

Mrs Cinematographer, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?
watch 10 films that have won a cinematography award from the competitions in section D

D. I coulda been a contender:
[Watch a film that has won the following awards]
1. Cannes Film Festival
2. Academy Award
3. Sundance Film Festival
4. Venice International Film Festival
5. Independent Spirit

I can’t find anything about best cinematography for the Cannes and Venice film festivals. *I’m inclined to think they don’t exist. Am I imagining things? **

Ok, so for the following category, I’m having a slight problem.

watch 10 films that have won a cinematography award from the competitions in section D

1. Cannes Film Festival
2. Academy Award
3. Sundance Film Festival
4. Venice International Film Festival
5. Independent Spirit

I can’t find anything about best cinematography for the Cannes and Venice film festivals. *I’m inclined to think they don’t exist. Am I imagining things? **
For Cannes, there is the Vulcan Award, which has been given 10 times for cinematography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_Award

The trick is not minding
For Cannes, there is the Vulcan Award, which has been given 10 times for cinematography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_Award
Hmmm. Could be why I didn’t find it previously, Since I wasn’t familiar with the name of the award. Thank you, kindly.

Anything for Venice?

Anything for Venice?
Not that I'm seeing.

But literally all I did was google "venice cinematography award", look at the first three results, and go "BORED NOW" and put my attention back on the cricket match. Somebody more willing/able to do a deeper search might have better answers.

The trick is not minding
Not that I'm seeing.

But literally all I did was google "venice cinematography award", look at the first three results, and go "BORED NOW" and put my attention back on the cricket match. Somebody more willing/able to do a deeper search might have better answers.
I did a search as well and turned up nothing, the same with wikipedia unless I missed it.*
Not a big deal, as I’ve found about 5 already between the other awards and each film is also available for streaming as well.

I did a search as well and turned up nothing, the same with wikipedia unless I missed it.*
Not a big deal, as I’ve found about 5 already between the other awards and each film is also available for streaming as well.
I'd originally misread that category as needing 10 films from the same festival, but it's just 10 cinematography awards from festivals on that list. Much less difficult!

The trick is not minding
I'd originally misread that category as needing 10 films from the same festival, but it's just 10 cinematography awards from festivals on that list. Much less difficult!
Managed to find 7, mostly academy awards with 1 from Sundance and 1 from the Spirit Awards.
I’m sure I will find 3 more in the next 12 months. Would prefer to mix it up more, award ceremony wise, especially considering I’ve seen the bulk of the Oscar winner, but no real complaints with the films available

Managed to find 7, mostly academy awards with 1 from Sundance and 1 from the Spirit Awards.
I’m sure I will find 3 more in the next 12 months. Would prefer to mix it up more, award ceremony wise, especially considering I’ve seen the bulk of the Oscar winner, but no real complaints with the films available
Yeah, reskimming that Vulcan Award list, I've seen almost all of them. I'll have to hunt around a bit to see what I'm interested in.

Haven't seen: Motorcycle Diaries, Clean, Il Divo, GriGris, Les Miserables, Petrov's Flu. Trying to remember if I've seen Mr. Turner, but I'm thinking I haven't. Haven't looked at availability streaming-wise for them.

I've seen about 40% of the Oscar winners. I suppose this is as good a reason as any to finally watch Gone with the Wind and American Beauty, two films I have simply been unable to muster any enthusiasm for.

Yeah I think I will participate as well I will do section c on the list

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, reskimming that Vulcan Award list, I've seen almost all of them. I'll have to hunt around a bit to see what I'm interested in.

Haven't seen: Motorcycle Diaries, Clean, Il Divo, GriGris, Les Miserables, Petrov's Flu. Trying to remember if I've seen Mr. Turner, but I'm thinking I haven't. Haven't looked at availability streaming-wise for them.

I've seen about 40% of the Oscar winners. I suppose this is as good a reason as any to finally watch Gone with the Wind and American Beauty, two films I have simply been unable to muster any enthusiasm for.
Haven't heard of the others but I do recommend Mr. Turner.

A. Get lost in the movement:
[Watch one film belonging to each of the following cinematic movements]
1. Soviet Montage Strike
2. Hong Kong New Wave Boat People
3. British New Wave Look Back in Anger
4. Poetic Realism La Bete Humaine
5. Cinema Novo Barravento

I'd recommend all of them, though Look Back in Anger was hard to watch in terms of its portrayal of an abusive relationship (and kind of being okay with it?) and Strike has some real animal cruelty that was a bit much for me.

The trick is not minding
1. Soviet Montage Strike

I'd recommend all of them, though Look Back in Anger was hard to watch in terms of its portrayal of an abusive relationship (and kind of being okay with it?) and Strike has some real animal cruelty that was a bit much for me.
Were these all on the criterion channel?

Were these all on the criterion channel?
I think Barravento is the only one that wasn't. I watched it on Kanopy (which you can get for free with your library card!)

The trick is not minding
October is another good Eisenstein, if anyone is looking for a non-Potemkin option.
(on Kanopy)
Going with Alexander Nevsky, as I’ve seen more then a few lists citing it as part of the movement. Will determine just how much myself, once I watch it.

1. Soviet Montage Strike

La Bete Humaine is a great Renoir film. Definitely worthwhile.

Here's where I'm at so far.

2. Hong Kong New Wave My Heart Is That Eternal Rose aka Sat sau woo dip mung (1989)
3. British New Wave Billy Liar (1963)

CANNOT make up my mind with this one so I'm gonna let it fester in my brain a bit and decide, hopefully, soon.
C. Lets break this down, shall we?
[Pick one of the following genres and watch one film from each of its subgenres or themes listed]
1. [Horror: Zombie] [Science Fiction: Post-Apocalyptic] [Western: Revisionist] [Action: Disaster]
2. [Horror: J-horror] [Science Fiction: Artificial Life] [Western: Spaghetti] [Action: Martial Arts]
3. [Horror: Psychological] [Science Fiction: Space Opera] [Western: Epic] [Action: Military]
4. [Horror: Found Footage] [Science Fiction: Superhero] [Western: Neo-Western] [Action: Swashbuckler]

2. Academy Award Topsy-Turvy (1999) Best Costume Design: Lindy Hemming Best Makeup: Christine Blundell/Trefor Proud

E. Never judge a book by its movie:
[Watch one film adapted from a novel belonging to each of the following literary eras]
1. a Victorian novel adaptation Great Expectations (1946) Charles Dickens REVIEW
3. a Modernist novel adaptation East of Eden (1955) John Steinbeck

F. I see dead people:
[Watch one film from each group of deceased directors and actors]
1. Cecil B. De Mille The Affairs of Anatol (1921)
3. Bette Davis Bad Sister (1931)

G. Background to the forefront:
[Watch one film featuring each of the following types of settings]
2. a film taking place in a military setting during war The Red Badge of Courage (1951)
3. a film set in a small town or village The Wild One (1953)
5. a film set in the wilderness Letter Never Sent aka Neotpravlennoe pismo (1960)

H. We've met before, haven't we?
[Pick one of the following country groups and watch 5 films from its members, without repetitions]
Silk Road (Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Malaysia, Mongolia, South Korea, Turkey)
1. Farewell My Concubine aka Ba wang bie ji (1993) China
2. Cairo Station aka Bab el hadid (1958) Egypt

I. Crime doesn't pay off kids...does it?:
[Watch one film adhering to each of the crime-related themes listed below]
2. Heist film Seven Thieves (1960)

You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in Paris?
watch 10 foreign language films
1. Elevator to the Gallows aka Ascenseur pour l'échafaud (1958) France
2. Les Diaboliques (1955) France

One film, two films, red fil...it was the worst of times!
watch 10 films released in consecutive years of the same decade
1950 Young Man With a Horn
1952 Clash by Night
1954 Journey to Italy
1955 Moonfleet REVIEW
1957 Throne of Blood
1958 Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
1959 North by Northwest

Documentary, my dear Watson
watch 10 documentaries
1. Betty White: First Lady of Television (2018)
++++

I have a vision...
watch 10 films from the same director
Joseph L. Mankiewicz
1. Julius Caesar (1953)
2. All About Eve
3. Sleuth (1972)
4. The Honey Pot (1967)
5. 5 Fingers (1952)
6. A Letter to Three Wives (1949)
7. House of Strangers (1949)
8. The Late George Apley (1947)
9. Somewhere in the Night (1946
10. Dragonwyck (1946)

I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
watch 10 films from the same country
Italy Ciao, bella!!
1. Nights of Cabiria aka Le notti di Cabiria (1957)
2. Mafioso (1962)
3. I Vitelloni (1953)
4. La Strada (1954)

1. To Catch a Thief (1955) Academy
2. A Man for all Seasons (1966) Academy

Went through the listing of Poetic Realism and realized I pretty much ran the gambit last year lol. I ended up going with Carné's Hôtel du Nord (1935).

After watching Alec Guinness in Great Expectations I realized I've scarcely scratched the surface of his films, so I will be going with ten of his films. Don't have them listed yet, but will.