Peter Jackson / The Lovely Bones

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Apparently Peter Jackson will be taking on the film adaptation of the marvelous novel THE LOVELY BONES.

And apparently Rachel Weisz will be starring as the mother.

I'm very interested in how someone like Jackson will interpret/show us this story, since its narrator isn't a conventional one.

I remember reading the book a few years ago and honestly I wasn't impressed. I thought the plot was clumsy and stretched out for way too long. Ahh now I regret having read the book! Whenever I read a book and then see the movie all I can think of are the scenes the director cut, and then I don't pay attention to how good the movie is.

That being said, I am very curious as to what Jackson will do with the book. I bet the cinematography will be fabulous given the POV it is told from.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I just read this book. It has been a long time since I read a book I could not put down, where I ignored other things in order to finish it. I was pretty mesmerized.

So I think we should bump this thread a bit (even if just for a little while) because I understand the film is in post and a trailer should be coming out soon. It will be released in December and may turn out to be another award magnet for Jackson if all goes well.

Some early pics:

Susie in her heaven

Mr. Harvey with his dollhouses

There's some more pics here:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/04/25/...-lovely-bones/

I'm a big fan of Jackson's and am pretty confident he can pull this off.

Anyway, just thought I'd spark some interest a bit... keep an eye out for the trailer. I'm hoping during the big summer season maybe we'd see it hit theatres.

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
Meatwad you did not like this book? Bummer I thought it was a good beach read. The movie looks like it will be a good one though!!

The teaser trailer was taken down unfortunately on Youtube so the people who didn't see it earlier when i posted it, can now see The Lovely Bones teaser trailer in glorious quicktime here.

Or choose your format below...

Small

Medium
Large
High-Definition

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
On youtube I have a subscription to a horror trailer channel and this popped up, so I chcked it out and it looks really good.

The Lovely Bones is an upcoming film adaptation of the novel of the same name by Alice Sebold, set for release on December 11, 2009. The film was directed by Peter Jackson and stars actress Saoirse Ronan as Susie Salmon, with Rachel Weisz and Mark Wahlberg as her parents, Susan Sarandon as her grandmother and Stanley Tucci as George Harvey, her murderer.
Feature rights to Sebold's novel had been bought by Film4 Productions when it was only a manuscript with Lynne Ramsay attached to write and direct, but the company was eventually shut down. Jackson and his producer partners eventually acquired the rights independently and developed a script on their own, later selling it to DreamWorks. Production began in October 2007 in New Zealand and Pennsylvania. Paramount became a sole distributor a year later when they split with DreamWorks.[1] The film's trailer was released on August 4th 2009.[
Synopsis

In 1973, Susie Salmon (Ronan) is raped and murdered by a neighbor, George Harvey (Tucci), a serial killer of young girls and women. She finds herself in Heaven, observing her family as they grieve for her. She also watches her killer who, having covered his tracks successfully, is preparing to murder again. Susie struggles to balance her desire for vengeance on Harvey and her desire to have her family recover from their loss
Im keeping an eye out for this one definatly

Well I've been hearing about this book for a while now but I've been putting off reading it seeing as how people have very different reactions to it. But after seeing two people here who are avid readers recommend it and after finding out Jackson is making it into a film I buckled and started reading it. I've read about a third of it and I have to say it is not my cup of chai. I usually like books that offer some kind of new insight into things but so far this one offers nothing but one cliché after another. Everything is just so familiar and ordinary that it gets pretty boring pretty soon. Maybe it'll pick up some later on but I sincerely doubt it. Hopefully Jackson will improve on the source material...:\

I don't know how I feel about this. I know everyone loved the book, but I always thought it sounded quite boring and the trailer makes this look a bit pedestrian. Stanley Tucci may have a lot to do with getting me to see this.

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
The buzz around it seems to be pretty good, it'll be interesting to see how Jackson follows up LOTR and King Kong, he said it was a welcome relief to do something which was smaller scale and not such a large blockbuster.

Jackson alone is enough for me to check it out but the cast looks decent too. Seems like a cross between What Dreams May Come and Ghost. Looking forward to it.

Jackson alone is enough for me to check it out but the cast looks decent too.
Though Jackson alone isn't enough (or anything close to being enough) to get me to see this, I do hope that he does as well with this as he did with Heavenly Creatures. If that's the case, then we're all in for a treat.

Originally Posted by Tramp
I wonder if a moderator can combine both threads. Not sure it matters, but it might be easier for everyone down the road.
I believe it already has been done ..it kinda helps much in the long run anyway. too many threads on the same topic is kinda useless. Unless one thread happens to be really old, and the person makes a new one to update news on the topic.

it looks amazing, truly.