Pedro Almodovar

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have only seen 'All About My Mother', I thought it was good, I would like to see 'Bad Education'. I see what people mean about it not being to everyone's tastes... men with breasts impregnating nuns and all...

I love Almodovars work he is my favourite director and YESSSS Kika is good hahaha I love ROSSY DE PALMA she was amazing in that hahaha im laughing out loud thinking about her in the film, shes one badass actress (meaning good), and is very Picaso looking.

But other than that my favourites are his latest works Volver ), (Penelope was amazing), All About My Mother (I love Cecilias acting), Talk To Her (INCREDIBLE, Truely underrated in every sense, the leads were amazing, I love Caetano's singing and did you notice Cecilia and Marissa in this scene, great way of connecting films), Bad Education (Gael is a legend, great actor, Javier from Talk To Her was to funny as Paca), Live Flesh (thrilling loved it Im not to fond of Javier Bardem though), and Secret of My Flower (Marisa is amazing, again with support by the hillarious Rossy de Palma and Chus Lampreave)

I do love his earlier work as well especially Tie Me Up Tie Me Down, and Woman on Verge.., basically everything he does but like said more fond of his recent work, I hope he works with Penelope again cos thats the rumors going around.

I mean how could you not love his films, and the actors are all incredible!! Kudos Almodovar, you will always be the best!!

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Have you heard anything about Volver yet?
I realize this post was made some time ago but if you are still wondering.

My daughter and I watched it the other day. We both enjoyed it. At first I thought the story must have a lot of magical realism in it.

As it turned out there was a reality based reason for the things happening that I thought must have magical origins.

I've not seen the other films by him.

I do recall an hot sex scenes. Darn.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I was a bit disappointed by Volver. It seemed to get a lot of publicity but I'm not sure why, it isn't a patch on All about My Mother, Talk to Her or Bad Education.

A system of cells interlinked
I liked it a whole lot. Great characterization...

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I agree it's the weakest of the 4, but still, it's an Almodovar and his reputation alone influences the way people view a film. It's still very good.
I didn't know the director from Adam's house cat but I liked the film.

*smiles*

I've only seen two of his films do far
Broken Embraces-

All about my Mother-

From what I've seen I like him, he likes to get explicit but, hey that's his style. I really am hoping to see The Skin I Live in and Talk To her soon.

^I definitely recommend The Skin I Live in, which is also the only Pedro Almodovar movie I've seen.

I do own Broken Embraces and Volver, just haven't gotten around to watching them.

I've seen all of his movies. Some are evidently better than others. He is one of my favorite directors. His stories and the way he unfolds them are always interesting not to mention his focus on excellent character development.
Pedro's breakout movie would have been " Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown", followed by " Tie Me UP, Tie Me Down" .
" Live Flesh " was received well in Spain.
My standouts would be " All About My Mother" , " Talk To Her " and "Bad Education ".
I'm looking forward to " I'm So Excited " , scheduled for release in 2013, starring Antonio Banderas and Penelope Cruz, both of whom Pedro helped make famous.

Ranking Pedro Almodovar:

1. Talk To Her
2. All About My Mother
3. The Skin I Live In
4. Volver

I've not seen Broken Embraces, Bad Education or Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched What Have I Done to Deserve This? long ago at the theatre and have seen all his films since, except for The Skin I Live In. I was also lucky enough to have a video store near me which had all his earlier and obscure films which didn't get original U.S. distribution. They are easily his weakest, but after all, some are incredibly low-budget and have more flamboyance than content, something he shared with early John Waters. He's been getting more and more "mainstream" with his films, shedding a bit of his surreal quirkiness for more professional, traditional drama. But a "traditional drama" from Almodovar can still be pretty wild and have his eye for pastels in both his visuals and his characters. At this point, I don't think I should try to rate them in order because a few I haven't seen for years and many of them are of equal quality. However, looking at his filmography, I've seen 18 feature films and recommend at least 14. My absolute faves are Talk to Her, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tie Me Up!, Tie Me Down!, All About My Mother and Matador.

I'm sure I've said it here before, though not in this thread, but I only really like Almodóvar from the mid 80's to early 90's, or Matador through to Kika. Admitedly, I've not seen much of his work after that, but then, it hasn't sounded like anything I'd want to watch, either. I still want to see The Skin I Live In, though. That was the first Almodóvar I wanted to see since Kika.

What I've seen so far, ranked and rated

Broken Embraces-

All About my Mother-

Talk To Her-
+
The Skin I live in-

I'm So Excited-

Bad Education-

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I've seen: Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Bad Education, The Skin I Live in and All About My Mother. I want to watch all his filmography next month but so far my favourite are Bad Education and All About My Mother.

I've seen:

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)

ˇÁtame! (1989)

All About My Mother (1999)

Talk to Her (2002)

Broken Embraces (2009)

Bad Education (2004)

Volver (2006)

The Skin I Live In (2011)

Julieta (2016)

Pain and Glory (2019)