Photography

Tools    

I haven't had a place to post my photos since Smalley killed the Corrierino with his tyrannical moderation. Turns out this thread is a little dead but lucky I've got the undead to wake it up!

I was very happy to visit the grave of one of my favourite directors last December. Jean Rollin is buried in Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris (alongside with several other notable people). A little bummed that the plants were in front of the name stone, but the iron rose on his grave was such a special touch.

Another one from Paris.

I actually got robbed my first night in Paris, so I kinda hate the place. Turns out if you go looking for that seedy underbelly of Paris you always read about in old novels, you can find it! But, my god, all the neon.

I think Corrie shut down before I took this photos, but I went down to Washington for Election Day back in 2020 thinking American would implode. Which it did, but not while I was there so I didn't get photos of the Capitol action. I was a little surprised to find the National Mall so quiet and peaceful, it's always so busy and chaotic in every photo and film I've seen of it.

When I lived in the city, I lived a block or so from this bridge.

Avril Lavigne in concert.

Gotta say I'm definitely a little heartbroken by how they turned out, but not surprised since I was winging it with no exposure meter and a little point and shoot. BUT, I mean... she is a queen, so at least I've got something.

Gotta say I'm definitely a little heartbroken by how they turned out, but not surprised since I was winging it with no exposure meter and a little point and shoot. BUT, I mean... she is a queen, so at least I've got something.
gosh i miss her music 🥺

gosh i miss her music 🥺

I'm not super crazy about what I've heard from her latest album but I 100% blame Mod Sun for that.

I'm not super crazy about what I've heard from her latest album but I 100% blame Mod Sun for that.
i only have her old albums not the new ones. im not fan of her just loved her music. i didnt know she did latest album also. thought she had a break or something

The trick is not minding

That’s actually not so bad. It’s almost like she’s forefront with the night sky behind her

That’s actually not so bad. It’s almost like she’s forefront with the night sky behind her

Thanks.

I don't crop my stuff but I might see if I can get something a little tighter out of a print in the darkroom. I had one other photo from the concert turn out decent but I prefer this one.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Thanks.

I don't crop my stuff but I might see if I can get something a little tighter out of a print in the darkroom. I had one other photo from the concert turn out decent but I prefer this one.
You're using film? If so, neat. I have an old Canon AE-1, but haven't used it since college my guess. I miss the darkroom smells and therapy of enlarging negatives and bathing the paper. I wanted to convert my old back bathroom to a proper darkroom years ago but like most everything else I plan to do, it fell to the wayside.

If that was just a figure of speech, and you use digital that's cool too. Just curious.

*EDIT*
I just caught your original post with the point-and-shoot. Cool. Back around 2009 maybe I took one of those disposable cameras that you can pickup most anywhere to an Audioslave concert. About the only pic that came out of it was a reasonably acceptable shot of Chris Cornell standing near the front edge of the stage with his arms out. I have no idea where that print is now though =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

You're using film? If so, neat. I have an old Canon AE-1, but haven't used it since college my guess. I miss the darkroom smells and therapy of enlarging negatives and bathing the paper. I wanted to convert my old back bathroom to a proper darkroom years ago but like most everything else I plan to do, it fell to the wayside.

If that was just a figure of speech, and you use digital that's cool too. Just curious.

*EDIT*
I just caught your original post with the point-and-shoot. Cool. Back around 2009 maybe I took one of those disposable cameras that you can pickup most anywhere to an Audioslave concert. About the only pic that came out of it was a reasonably acceptable shot of Chris Cornell standing near the front edge of the stage with his arms out. I have no idea where that print is now though =\

Canon AE-1 is actually one that I've started using frequently. Took me awhile to get used to the exposure meter in it, but it's also kinda nice using a camera that I can still buy the battery for.

I set up trays in my bathtub but I find the smells and being hunched over to get painful pretty quickly so I don't do darkroom stuff often but I definitely enjoy it way more. There's something special about watching your image appear on that paper.

The camera policy at concerts annoys me tremendously. I tried bringing the same little plastic point and shoot into ZZ Top and they wouldn't let me. Even better, they tell you that you can leave your belongings at guest services but that you can't have it back afterwards.

Meant to post this the other day.

May 17th is Dennis Hopper Day down in Taos, New Mexico. Hopper is probably the single biggest reason I got into photography, so I went down in 2019 to celebrate. They have a biker rally and ride along the Rio Grande and into the Pueblo, along with a small film festival. They screened Easy Rider for it's 40th anniversary as well as Hopper's 1970 follow up, The Last Movie. His brother David joined the event that year and he was kind enough to pose in front of a poster for the film after the screening (he was also a producer for it).

Meant to post this the other day.

May 17th is Dennis Hopper Day down in Taos, New Mexico. Hopper is probably the single biggest reason I got into photography, so I went down in 2019 to celebrate. They have a biker rally and ride along the Rio Grande and into the Pueblo, along with a small film festival. They screened Easy Rider for it's 40th anniversary as well as Hopper's 1970 follow up, The Last Movie. His brother David joined the event that year and he was kind enough to pose in front of a poster for the film after the screening (he was also a producer for it).
next week its his anniversary of his death

I went to Las Vegas for the Fourth of July back in 2018. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the dealer selling me Cinestill had been selling me expired rolls so a lot of my early shots with the brand had age fog. Which kinda really sucks, because Cinestill can actually be such a great looking film but I find it's also extremely finicky.

I also met Genie when I was down there, for those of us that came from RT.

We had a lunar eclipse pass over last week. It was supposed to be cloudy until midnight, right about the time the eclipse would be ending, so I fell asleep early not expecting to do any moon gazing. Was woke up around 11ish and was told you can see it. So I managed to get a couple shots of it after it was a full eclipse:

A couple years ago I was instructed to plant more tulips because "I like tulips." So I bought a mix of a hundred tulips for fall planting. I started planting them by digging individual holes for each bulb and realized pretty quickly that ain't the way to do it. Dug a trench and dumped the rest in. Turns out the cheapo mix I bought was pretty good. Some of the tulips are kind of neat and they bloom at different times, so tulip season is longer than expected.

The grave of Romy Schneider, who died forty years ago today. La Piscine is a big favourite of mine, I was pretty stoked when Criterion released it. I'd also strongly recommend 10:30PM Summer, The Most Important Thing: Love, and Innocents With Dirty Hands for some top notch Romy.

I just seen Romy Schneider in a movie for the first time a couple weeks ago. I was quite taken by her effervescence personality, she really sparkled on screen.

Which one was it?

La Piscine was the first thing I saw her in and it floored me. I was on one of those dry spells where I didn't watch anything that really hooked me and every film was bland but that one came along and kick started everything again.