The MOFO Preliminary Discussion of the Top 100 Comedies

→ in
Tools    

There should be more than one entry in the countdown for Mel Brooks, Monty Python, the Zuckers and Jim Abrahams, Edgar Wright, Taika Waititi, the Coen bros, Robert Zemeckis, Harold Ramis, Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Carl Reiner and Robert Altman. I'd say Bobcat Goldthwait too, but that might be hoping for too much.

There should be at least one entry for Ivan Reitman, Rob Reiner, Arthur Hiller, Frank Oz and Larry Charles.
Why? I don't think I could name a film by Bobcat Goldthwait. I'm constantly bemused at the high praise Taika Waititi gets. Some solid amusing films in his portfolio especially 'Boy' and 'Eagle v Shark' but really? Lumping him in with the likes of Buster Keaton? I don't see it.

Also Larry Charles? The guy who produces the Sasha Baron Cohen films? Wow. I guess its all just like, opinions, man.

@Diehl40 - will partial ballots be being accepted?
Really haven't been in the humour for watching comedies so I'm gonna be working primarily from memory and I doubt I'll be able to dredge up 25 that I don't mind giving a vote to, especially as I don't tend to include shorts on my ballots.

Welcome to the human race...
Why? I don't think I could name a film by Bobcat Goldthwait. I'm constantly bemused at the high praise Taika Waititi gets. Some solid amusing films in his portfolio especially 'Boy' and 'Eagle v Shark' but really? Lumping him in with the likes of Buster Keaton? I don't see it.

Also Larry Charles? The guy who produces the Sasha Baron Cohen films? Wow. I guess its all just like, opinions, man.
Eh, I wouldn't be too surprised. With the horror countdown, I broke it down by number of films per decade:

Originally Posted by me
Broken down by decade...

2010s - 18
2000s - 16
1990s - 10
1980s - 20
1970s - 16
1960s - 11
1950s - 2
1940s - 1
1930s - 5
1920s - 2
I daresay that a certain degree of recency bias is going to set in on any list that isn't limited to a specific period of time - we'll definitely get the obligatory nods to Chaplin or Keaton or the Marx Brothers but the odds are good that the list will invoke a wide range of comparatively newer films. Part of me thinks Waititi might not make the list because I'm not entirely sure he has an out-and-out representative "masterpiece" and any votes for him might be split between a good handful of his movies, but I think Borat still has enough staying power that I wouldn't rule it out completely when it comes to this list.

@Diehl40 - will partial ballots be being accepted?
Really haven't been in the humour for watching comedies so I'm gonna be working primarily from memory and I doubt I'll be able to dredge up 25 that I don't mind giving a vote to, especially as I don't tend to include shorts on my ballots.

Let me get back to you on that

Let me get back to you on that
Thanks for the response, if I can somehow drag my list to a full ballot I will but failing that I'll remit a partial one.

This is how partial ballots will be handled:
From Yoda

Yes, we decided a minimum of 10, but the "penalty" for it is that your top choice doesn't get the full 25 points, your points are prorated based on ballot size.

IE: however many films you have on your list between 10 and 25, that's where the points start. 1st gets 10th, 2nd gets 9. If you submit 20, 1st gets 20, 2nd gets 19, etc.

I forgot the opening line.

I was just basing that on certain films I was pretty sure were going to make the 100. I differ with your thoughts on Taika Waititi, and think he certainly belongs in a category which includes past masters with respect to comedy, rising above the two films you even mentioned, but agree with Bobcat Goldthwait - that was purely personal affection, and I very much doubt any of his films will make it (World's Greatest Dad an outside chance.) As I thought Borat would probably make the 100, Larry Charles gets into the list - it's not a comment on Charles and his ability as a filmmaker - simply an acknowledgment that he'll have a film in the 100, pure and simple.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
Part of me thinks Waititi might not make the list because I'm not entirely sure he has an out-and-out representative "masterpiece" and any votes for him might be split between a good handful of his movies, but I think Borat still has enough staying power that I wouldn't rule it out completely when it comes to this list.
I thought Jojo Rabbit might have had the kind of overwhelming exposure which would put his other films into a kind of category where they haven't been seen enough to get many entries on people's lists. I can't really gauge how well-known his films are outside of Australasia.

I think What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople have built up enough of a following in their own rights, to say nothing of how Thor: Ragnarok has the built-in Marvel popularity in addition to its reputation as one of the funniest films in the franchise (which I think dwarfs even an Oscar-winner like Jojo Rabbit in terms of overall exposure). Since there's no hard-and-fast rule on what qualifies for this comedy countdown beyond "do you, the person voting in the countdown, think it's funny", it could well be Thor: Ragnarok that wins out by dint of Marvel popularity, but time will tell on that front.

I'm surprised people are going to submit partial lists. There are so many movies that can slot into a top 25 comedy list. Give me your extra spots. I'll get you to 25.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

*sigh*
But there are only two Paul Blart movies. I guess I could include the shorts as well but even then it's only a total of five

I blame the film industry for being so gosh-darned lazy!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm surprised people are going to submit partial lists. There are so many movies that can slot into a top 25 comedy list. Give me your extra spots. I'll get you to 25.

I'm surprised about the partial lists too. This is already the hardest list for me to narrow down to only 25 movies, and I'm still watching movies for it. My list still has over 100 movies on it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I got 21 certainties. 4 spots up for grabs that I can't decide on.

I'm really hoping for a 1 pointer this time too and I've never really aimed for one of those in the past before.

That we went to the trouble of expanding it from films that are explicitly classified as comedies to literally anything that makes a particular person laugh only to still get people who intend to submit partial lists is itself a pretty good joke. I still haven't given this any thought precisely because it'll be too easy to come up with titles.

Maybe I'm just a miserable person with next to no sense of humour

That we went to the trouble of expanding it from films that are explicitly classified as comedies to literally anything that makes a particular person laugh only to still get people who intend to submit partial lists is itself a pretty good joke. I still haven't given this any thought precisely because it'll be too easy to come up with titles.
There were people who couldn't make a Top 25 when there were NO restrictions, when every and any movie ever made was eligible during the Top 100 Refresh. They still couldn't think of 25. Unless you have seen less than twenty-five films total in your lifetime that is absolutely unacceptable. If I had been running that list I would have rejected their ballots.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra