Good (Morning / Afternoon / Evening / Night)

Tools    

Hello, Everybody!

I’m a longtime lurker, first time poster, who finally decided to join up due to a combination of pandemic-induced isolation and being a newly-minted stay-at-home parent (the latter being because of the concerns of having a child who’s too young for the current Covid vaccinations). A typically over-educated / under-employed millennial, I minored in film studies as an undergrad and recently wrote my Masters thesis on the social significance of recent witch horror films (focussing on Antichrist, The VVitch and The Autopsy of Jane Doe).

I have a pretty broad taste in movies, but particularly gravitate towards horror, arthouse and what my spouse jokingly likes to call “old man movies.” I firmly believe that, globally-speaking, movies are as good now as they ever have been, but I do tend to hate a lot of Code-era Hollywood movies (as I’m generally disinterested in Westerns, dislike most musicals and find that the Hays Code / HUAC preemptively kept anything even remotely interesting out of production). Still, exceptions abound (for example, I love Noir, Universal / Val Lewton horror and pretty much anything starring Judy Holliday); plus the rest of the world handily picked up Hollywood’s slack through the 1960s.

I haven’t been back to a movie theater since the start of the pandemic (I used to go 2-3 times a week), but I have occasionally been able to go to the local drive-in in the interim (it’s really not a comparable experience, sadly). As a result, about 90% of what I pick out to watch these days probably comes from the Criterion Channel (I’m just about to finish up their early John Ford retrospective). We’re also currently in the middle of a family rewatch of the MCU (come to think of it, there’ve been a lot more rewatches than usual lately on account of the baby).

Sorry for the long-windedness (it’s a bit of a weakness of mine). I’m just excited to get started.

Goodmorning and welcome to MoFo Obi-Wan_Mifune!
Speaking of Mifune..I'm watching Stray Dog this week.. and looking forward to the Obi-Wan series coming soon.

Willkommen! Bienvenue! Welcome! Im cabaret, au cabaret, to cabaret! to the site!

Welcome to the ppppaaaarrrttttt---eeeeeeeee

I recently wrote my Masters thesis on the social significance of recent witch horror films (focussing on Antichrist, The VVitch and The Autopsy of Jane Doe).
Nice

I gravitate towards horror, arthouse and what my spouse jokingly likes to call “old man movies.”
Yes

I love Noir, Universal / Val Lewton horror
Correct

Thanks, Everyone, for the warm welcome.

Speaking of Mifune..I'm watching Stray Dog this week.. and looking forward to the Obi-Wan series coming soon.
Toshiro Mifune’s probably my favorite actor, on balance. While he never fit anything half so well as period Samurai roles, his early / contemporary work was really interesting. Stray Dog is great, so’s Drunken Angel (which he completely steals out from under Takashi Shimura) and, a bit later, High and Low. Although it’s set a bit earlier in the century, I feel that Rickshaw Man is massively underrated (at least here in the U.S.).

Here’s where I confess that I am woefully behind on my TV watching (and always have been). Obi-Wan 100% looks like my kind of show, but I haven’t even seen The Mandalorian yet. The last new show I watched in full was WandaVision (I loved it, particularly the conceit of each episode being modeled after a different decade’s style of sitcom), and even that I came to pretty late.

Toshiro Mifune’s probably my favorite actor, on balance. While he never fit anything half so well as period Samurai roles, his early / contemporary work was really interesting. Stray Dog is great, so’s Drunken Angel (which he completely steals out from under Takashi Shimura) and, a bit later, High and Low. Although it’s set a bit earlier in the century, I feel that Rickshaw Man is massively underrated (at least here in the U.S.).

Here’s where I confess that I am woefully behind on my TV watching (and always have been). Obi-Wan 100% looks like my kind of show, but I haven’t even seen The Mandalorian yet. The last new show I watched in full was WandaVision (I loved it, particularly the conceit of each episode being modeled after a different decade’s style of sitcom), and even that I came to pretty late.
He would probably make my top ten actors easily. High and Low is one of my fav Mifune's. Along with; Samurai Rebellion, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Throne of Blood. Watch-listed; Rickshaw Man and Drunken Angel is already on there.

Also very behind on TV shows but I did manage to see The Mandolarian. Solid sci-fi/fantasy/adventure all the way, highly recommended.

Welcome to MoFo! I just seen a Judy Holliday movie a few nights ago, it was The Solid Gold Cadillac, it was good for a Hays code movie Sadly Judy Holliday didn't make many movies as she passed way too young. She has a certain way about her that I've not seen in another actress. Have you seen all of her films? Any favorites of hers?

He would probably make my top ten actors easily. High and Low is one of my fav Mifune's. Along with; Samurai Rebellion, The Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo and Throne of Blood. Watch-listed; Rickshaw Man and Drunken Angel is already on there.
No Rashomon? I don’t think Mifune ever got any better than pulling quadruple duty as essentially four completely different characters in that movie.

I just seen a Judy Holliday movie a few nights ago, it was The Solid Gold Cadillac, it was good for a Hays code movie Sadly Judy Holliday didn't make many movies as she passed way too young. She has a certain way about her that I've not seen in another actress. Have you seen all of her films? Any favorites of hers?
I actually only recently found out about her myself when the Criterion Channel did a seven film retrospective on het last June. I’ve seen eight of her dozen movies and plan to polish off the remaining four sooner rather than later.

Her surprise Best Actress win for Born Yesterday is hands down my favorite performance of her’s. It’s the absolute purest distillation of her “(Not Actually a) Dumb Blonde” roles and does the most to subvert and develop that kind of character. It’s actually a role that she originated on the stage and I’ve happily rewatched it a few times already while showing it to various family members. The Solid Gold Cadillac is probably my second favorite (I feel it meandered a bit near the end, but the movie probably gives her the most to do narratively out of her entire filmography). It Should Happen to You, a really smart fame / media satire, then rounds out the top three.