Scores that are Better than the Movie

Tools    

What scores do you like better than the movie they're in? Risky Business has a glorious Tangerine Dream score for a movie that's just kinda ok in my mind.
No argument that the music for Risky Business is awesome, but so is the movie. Another movie that pops into my head on this subject is Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)...the musical score is brilliant and way better than the movie.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture has an incredible Jerry Goldsmith score, but is a depressing train wreck of a film.

Can't believe nobody has said this yet.

Duel of the Fates (John Williams) - Star Wars Episode 1: the Phantom Menace

Duel of the Fates by John Williams is one of my favorite Star Wars tracks and is more entertaining than all 3 of the Star Wars prequels...

Bumping this to say I really like finding score gems in bad or disposable films. First example of this that comes to mind, for whatever reason, is Steve Jablonsky, who did some really great stuff on the Transformers 2 soundtrack, of all things.

Skip to 2:28 for the best part:

Totally wasted on this film, but pretty great. Should be the theme for a modern classic, but alas, it's here instead.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

I'm not saying these are bad movies, just that the scores are a lot better than the films.

Suspect's Reviews

Can't even see where the knob is
Christopher Nolan.

Can't even see where the knob is
Wrong thread, I guess? Or are you saying this is true of all Nolan films?
That is kind of what I'm saying, although I was also being somewhat hyperbolic.

It's just that I've noticed that the music/score is often easily my favorite thing in a Nolan movie. This is particularly true for Interstellar, Dark Knight trilogy and Tenet.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Bad Boys, Patriot Games, Batman (1989) and Batman Returns

The bit at 2:20 just feels lovely.

There are quite a few other tracks in this movie that are good on the ears, with their whole sexy, eighties vibes.

In before @honeykid (though I don't think he will ever crib about the movie). Another movie that has a lot of good tracks.

Staying on planet Barrymore, I think Jerry Goldsmith did a great job for this movie.

Angelo Badalamenti showing his range here. This movie also features my favourite All Saints song.

Welcome to the human race...
I would agree with Interstellar, if only because the best parts of that score sound like Koyaanisqatsi.

Another possible choice would be Ravenous.

2001. An interesting plot with the classical music and the space scenes should have been great, and it is a great movie! The problem is that if you were to replace the music with your usual score from the 60s, it would have been ruined. The acting is wooden, the dialogue confusing, a poorly explained plot, and the apes at the beginning are about as realistic as a Japanese guy in a godzilla costume.

Everything about the movie should have bombed, but the track saves it.

On the other hand, Road house deserves to be somewhere on this list.

That is kind of what I'm saying, although I was also being somewhat hyperbolic.

It's just that I've noticed that the music/score is often easily my favorite thing in a Nolan movie. This is particularly true for Interstellar, Dark Knight trilogy and Tenet.
I agree with you about Tenet. Ludwig Göransson's score was one of the few highlights of the film. I haven't seen other pictures that he's scored, such as Black Panther or The Mandalorian series, but presumably they were good as well.

To Live and Die in L.A.

It would still be a pretty decent flick without the soundtrack by Wang Chung, but their score totally uplifts it.