Best horror movies you've ever watched?

Tools    

I think the horror movie(s) that played the most pivotal role is capturing my love for the genre are:

Friday the 13th Series - A hockey masked killer wielding a machete was f***ing scary when I was 14 years old drinking iced-coffee after 11pm.
Halloween - The blank canvas killer that is Michael Myers...A face that haunts you in your sleep.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Sheer brutality and the messed up nature of this movie still freaks me out.

Some other notable mentions...

The Hills Have Eyes
Psycho
The Shining

This is just a few. ...
My Bloody Valentine (1981)
The Uninvited (1944)
Sennetuntsche (Swiss Horror)
Sauna (Finnish History/Horror)
The Heirloom (2005 Taiwanese Horror)

And a lot of mainstream Bloomhouse films
movies by James Wan
movies by Leigh Whannell

whether you agree with me or not... this is still my opinion.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the '74 original) still remains my all-time favorite these days.

This year's Trench 11, Along Came the Devil and Boarding School really surprised me at how good they were.
Return of the Living Dead
The Lift (Dutch horror film about elevators causing death)
It (both the 1990 and the 2017 film)
Demons (Lamberto Bava's 1985 classic about moviegoers who either turn into the titular demons or fight to survive)

What the heck do people see in the Exorcist and the Shining?

Anyway my three would be:

Lovely Molly
Hostel
The thing

What the heck do people see in the Exorcist and the Shining?
I've never been big into The Shining. The Exorcist is better.

This might just do nobody any good.
A father’s neglectfulness and violent attitude blown up to its extremes through alcoholism don’t do it as a horror film basis?

I'd recommend Honeymoon (2014) as a really good, unsettling horror film. It has everything I think.

"Nightbreed"
is a 1990 film written & directed by Clive Barker, starring Craig Sheffer, Anne Bobby, David Cronenberg, Charles Haid, Hugh Quarshie & Doug Bradley.

Hi friends! “Quiet Place” is a good horror movie with some great atmosphere, sound design and special effects. I saw this movie in theatre along with my wife and must say that it met all my expectations. As we both like horror movies and therefore we always try to watch horror movies in accompany of each other. I greatly recommend everyone to see this.

Hi all! I like to watch such films with friends. I also like movies based on true stories, but... horror based on a true storie it's... horrible. Anyway, here some movies on Netflix based pn a true stories https://www.bestadvisor.com/how-to/b...n-a-true-story

Have a good day and be a good person

The exorcist is the best horror movie I've seen.

A lot of people think it's a bit slow and dated, but I think the best way to defend my choice is to point out how the entire movie is about extremes. Quiet and noisy, dark and white, the beginning which is in Iraq, to the other extreme of your average American city (Georgetown). The innocent young girl vs. the demon possessed, the young priest and the old, the famous movie star and the single mother who has a possessed daughter. The young priest who has lost his faith, to the old priest who has more than faith, but actual certainty that good and evil exist.

I grew up in a shore town and seeing "The Birds" as a kid shook me. Flocks of birds still make me uncomfortable.

Also answers to Jabba
I will go slightly off topic and not focus on well known films like Exorcist, Psycho, Shining etc that everyone has seen or at least knows about and will throw some true gems your way for anyone interested.

Vacancy
The Cremator (Czech)
[Rec]2
Green Room
Jacob's Ladder
I sell the dead (comedy horror)
Open Grave
You're Next
The Dead (2010)
Pandorum
The Human Race
The Mist
Dellamorte Dellamore

Granted, some of those I haven't seen for many years, but I still remember fondly.

I love horror, always have, but have an especially soft spot in my heart for those corny, campy 80's flicks.

Night of the Demons
Pumpkinhead
The Return of the Living Dead
Critters
C.H.U.D.
The Evil Dead
Silver Bullet
Maximum Overdrive

Probably my least favorite genre. Not a fan of excessive gore. But do have a few I enjoy.

An American Werewolf in London
The Thing
Zombieland
Shaun of the Dead
Rosemary's Baby
The Other ('72)

Hmm, my Top 5 of more-or-less "pure" horror (no sci-fi) is...
  1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
  2. The Exorcist (1973)
  3. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
  4. Halloween (1978)
  5. The Omen (1976)

However, if I wanted to go off the beaten path a bit and recommend a few more obscure ones, here's a bunch...
  • Theatre of Blood (1973)
  • Dead & Buried (1981)
  • Scarecrows (1988)
  • Splinter (2008)
  • The Midnight Meat Train (2008)
  • Crush the Skull (2015)
  • The Void (2016)
  • Terrifier (2016)
  • Don't Breathe (2016)
  • It Comes at Night (2017)

Horror is my favourite genre, so this is just a base list and by no means comprehensive:

Black Christmas (1974)
Halloween (1978)
The Omen (1976)
Damien Omen II
Dogs
The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976)
Kingdom of the Spiders
Alien
Halloween II (1981)
The Fog (1980)
Alligator
The Brood
American Werewolf in London
Poltergeist (1982)
Psycho II
Halloween III
Nightmare on Elm Street (84)
Wild Beasts
Cat's Eye
Fright Night (85)
Fright Night Part II (88)
Aliens
LINK
Stagefright (87)
The Stepfather (87)
Child's Play
Halloween 4
Maniac Cop
Arachnophobia
Silence of the Lambs
Wolf
Scream
Scream 2
Scream 3
Scream 4
Halloween H20
Mimic
Sleepy Hollow
The Ring
Shaun of the Dead
Severance
Trick R Treat
Let the Right One In
Absentia
Oculus
Hush
The Conjuring
The Conjuring 2
Annabelle Creation
Howl
Ouija Origin of Evil
Bone Tomahawk
Cabin in the Woods
Some decent horror films. My favourite on your list is definitely childs play! Chucky is one of my favourite horror franchises out of them all.