The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Delayed again. At this rate we'll all be dead before CP2077 releases. I just hope the cockroaches and Cher have enough respect and appreciation for such artistry that they forever immortalize the memory of this ever so elusive and rare gem.
Still coming out before Star Citizen

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ok so I started that archery game again on hard, and I found out why there was some kooky off-tempo percussion in the opening song

They put a tambourine in your hand

(It kinda fitted. You start swaying along unthinkingly to the silly music )

PS5 worth it? I went Sega-Playstation-PS2. Then I went off to college and skipped PS3 and 4 and Xbox. Got too expensive and I got too busy. Been play old Sega/Playstation games on some emulators online. Sort of getting the itch again. Probably wont lol I'd be so out of my element.

But just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the PS5? I was always a playstation guy. Is it like the difference in new Iphones, barely noticable?

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Depends on how much you want to play new stuff that will only be available on the new hardware, I guess.

You could buy a used PS4 to see if the old fire is still there.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
PS5 worth it? I went Sega-Playstation-PS2. Then I went off to college and skipped PS3 and 4 and Xbox. Got too expensive and I got too busy. Been play old Sega/Playstation games on some emulators online. Sort of getting the itch again. Probably wont lol I'd be so out of my element.

But just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the PS5? I was always a playstation guy. Is it like the difference in new Iphones, barely noticable?

If the price of a PS5 is out of your comfort zone and if you don't really have your thumb on the pulse of current gaming titles, then I totally agree with Tacitus, above. A cheap, used, PS4 opens a doorway to a LOT of great games, plus a lot of old titles that have been ported up. Some of which are from your original PS days.

On the other hand, if this is your first jump in, then it might not be a bad idea to jump in with the latest tech. Just price will be the biggest hurdle. For me, I never thought I'd get back into games after leaving my original PS. Like you, I went off to college, came back, and started full time work. It was YEARS before I got the itch to play a game. When it hit, it hit hard with a coworker's Modern Warfare II. My point in that is that I wouldn't have really bothered had prices not been just so at the time of purchase. I have enjoyed it though. Both systems (3 and 4). My justification was that I could use the system as an entertainment center, what with the blue ray player and streaming apps such as netflix and amazon both available on it. I bought them both nearer the end of their life cycles so prices were relatively low. That helped.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
You can always go to Blockbuster and rent one first. Try it out man.

If the price of a PS5 is out of your comfort zone and if you don't really have your thumb on the pulse of current gaming titles, then I totally agree with Tacitus, above. A cheap, used, PS4 opens a doorway to a LOT of great games, plus a lot of old titles that have been ported up. Some of which are from your original PS days.

On the other hand, if this is your first jump in, then it might not be a bad idea to jump in with the latest tech. Just price will be the biggest hurdle. For me, I never thought I'd get back into games after leaving my original PS. Like you, I went off to college, came back, and started full time work. It was YEARS before I got the itch to play a game. When it hit, it hit hard with a coworker's Modern Warfare II. My point in that is that I wouldn't have really bothered had prices not been just so at the time of purchase. I have enjoyed it though. Both systems (3 and 4). My justification was that I could use the system as an entertainment center, what with the blue ray player and streaming apps such as netflix and amazon both available on it. I bought them both nearer the end of their life cycles so prices were relatively low. That helped.
To make it more confusing, Microsoft have announced that all their first party titles (and they own a lot of studios now) will be available on both old and new consoles, at least for the first year. How they'll actually *play* on the old hardware is another matter entirely.

Going down that route, I'd say go for a used OneX. My OneS is starting to creak when presented with the latest current gen titles.

Do they still offer that?

Last console I rented from Blockbusters was a Mega Drive/Genesis

maaaaaaan.
I miss renting the old NES system when I was a kid. It was a rare thing, but for like a birthday or something. I remember mom walking in with that massive plastic flight case that housed the system and controllers. OMG that case was HUGE! We also had to rent a VCR if we wanted to watch movies for a special event.

I miss those days. Everything was an adventure lol. I guess I should say I miss that age. I miss Movie Gallery and Montgomery Wards where they'd always have two or three systems on demo. I miss Toys-R-Us with literally 2 full aisles of game tickets back during the overlap of the console wars. Sega Master System games were still floating along with clearance NES titles. The next aisle would have all the new Genesis and SNES titles, plus TurboGrafx-16 stuff! Then whatever handheld gear was out. I can't remember. The closest Toys-R-Us was like 3 hours away so it was a once-a-year trip, if that. Maybe if I was lucky, we'd go when visiting mom's mom down near Tampa, Florida.

We did eventually get a Toys-R-Us in my town, but by then I guess Sony had more or less taken over the mountain with the Playstation. That and the X-Box really thinned out the game displays down to just those like 1.5 half-aisles near the entrance corner. OMG BEAT STICKS!!!! I WANTED A SET OF BEAT STICKS SO BAD!!!

okokok. I'm done. Dude. Thanks for that memory burst.

To make it more confusing, Microsoft have announced that all their first party titles (and they own a lot of studios now) will be available on both old and new consoles, at least for the first year. How they'll actually *play* on the old hardware is another matter entirely.

Going down that route, I'd say go for a used OneX. My OneS is starting to creak when presented with the latest current gen titles.
Wait. What?
So whatever exclusive titles that only release to the X consoles will also be released backwards compatible? Or downgraded to support older consoles? That seems wonky. Am I reading you right?

In the words of Mr. Poopybutthole, "Whooooo-WEEee!!"

The only reason I MIGHT have even had a passing notion to consider the PS5 seems to have just burst into nothingness. Looks like Ghost of Tsushima will be released mid-July on the PEE-ESS-FOUR!!!! I saw a trailer for this almost 2 years ago (I think? maybe it was just the one. iderno) and was blown away by ...hm. by something. I can't remember anymore other than remembering the sensation of being blown away at the time. I would check up on it from time to time, dismayed by the likelihood it would be pushed out as a PS5 exclusive or something and I lost sight of it there. Randomly, I just googled the title and lo and behold, it's coming!!!!

maaaaaaan.
I miss renting the old NES system when I was a kid. It was a rare thing, but for like a birthday or something. I remember mom walking in with that massive plastic flight case that housed the system and controllers. OMG that case was HUGE! We also had to rent a VCR if we wanted to watch movies for a special event.

I miss those days. Everything was an adventure lol. I guess I should say I miss that age. I miss Movie Gallery and Montgomery Wards where they'd always have two or three systems on demo. I miss Toys-R-Us with literally 2 full aisles of game tickets back during the overlap of the console wars. Sega Master System games were still floating along with clearance NES titles. The next aisle would have all the new Genesis and SNES titles, plus TurboGrafx-16 stuff! Then whatever handheld gear was out. I can't remember. The closest Toys-R-Us was like 3 hours away so it was a once-a-year trip, if that. Maybe if I was lucky, we'd go when visiting mom's mom down near Tampa, Florida.

We did eventually get a Toys-R-Us in my town, but by then I guess Sony had more or less taken over the mountain with the Playstation. That and the X-Box really thinned out the game displays down to just those like 1.5 half-aisles near the entrance corner. OMG BEAT STICKS!!!! I WANTED A SET OF BEAT STICKS SO BAD!!!

okokok. I'm done. Dude. Thanks for that memory burst.

Thank you so much for this. *insert whatever color heart to show you love your buddy* Made my week on a Monday.

All those little tuff guys and gals, growing up watching Miami Vice eps. that they probably shouldn't have, walking out of a Blue and Yellow with a Halliburton facisimile, just strutting.

"Hey mom, yeah...can you park a mile away? I need to make sure every kid around sees me carrying this."

I would justify buying any system short of $500, just as a media station.

CD Projeckt / CP 2077 livestream tomorrow at noon est. ?

Wait. What?
So whatever exclusive titles that only release to the X consoles will also be released backwards compatible? Or downgraded to support older consoles? That seems wonky. Am I reading you right?
We see it quite often when generations change - A number of games (usually big releases who have the personnel to do the porting) are released on old and new hardware simultaneously. I can remember Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition and Assassin's Creed IV appearing on PS3/360 as well as PS4/XOne. They didn't look anywhere near as nice but I remember Destiny playing surprisingly well.

What Microsoft is doing is promising that *every* game from its owned studios will be available on old and new consoles, at least for a time.

Welcome to the human race...
If you mean the 20th anniversary package of Duke Nukem 3D, I bought it for PS4 but have barely touched it even with the promise of new maps (and trophies to earn). I did the same for Doom 64, which I've at least never played properly (maybe one or two levels back when the N64 was still new) but I also got a little tired of it at the same time (these were both at the same time that I got Hotline Miami, which I got stuck into since it was so different to just replaying a couple of overly familiar FPSs).

Anyway, in addition to continuing on with Animal Crossing: New Horizons (gotta admit I appreciate that it's a game where I don't feel too much of a need to grind away at it), I've been slowly making my way through The Last of Us Part II. So far it's...about what I've expected? I don't think I play too many quote-unquote AAA games, but I've played enough to notice how the ones that really want to lean on being Immersive Artistically-Minded Experiences just love to throw in a lot of extra button pushing and exchanging exposition during protracted walking/horse-riding sequences (which I admit was true of the original but my patience with it has worn a little thin after Red Dead Redemption II overdid it to little positive effect, though I guess it plays better in what I'm guessing will be a shorter and more linear affair like this). At least it's still as much of a thrill to play and work around the survival horror elements of it - I haven't played a game like it in a while so it feels reasonably fresh as a result, but I'm still waiting for it to turn on me (not necessarily because of bad gameplay but because I keep hearing about this game trying to make a Statement about the presumably complicated motivations of both your protagonist and your enemies in a way that's really going to take the fun out of throwing a brick in order to lure a bunch of clickers towards the soldiers that are hunting you and letting them sort each other out).