Westerns HOF

Tools    

The first thing I noticed was that the person who voiced Sam the Snowman from Rudolph was in this movie.
How the hell did you notice that? haha. Have you seen it quite a lot to have noticed the voice?

I'm going for Calamity Jane tomorrow, then probably The Wind a few days later.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
How the hell did you notice that? haha. Have you seen it quite a lot to have noticed the voice?

I'm going for Calamity Jane tomorrow, then probably The Wind a few days later.
Probably too many times. I just thought it was funny to make that connection.

Calamity Jane

I was very happy to see this nominated since it was already on my watchlist. That's not because I especially wanted to see it, but with the 50's countdown looming, I will try to watch all the movies from the other lists from that decade.

Right off the bat when I realized this was going to be a musical, I thought I was going to hate it. However, it wasn't long until I had a few laughs and I found I was enjoying myself. I would say this movie is a western/musical/comedy/romance hybrid, and I thought all four of those areas worked well. Doris Day puts on a show in what is essentially two roles, and the supporting cast is very good. There's an aspect of the movie that reminds me of Grease, and I'm interested to see if anyone else feels the same. I wouldn't say I loved the movie, but I thought it was endearing and thoroughly entertaining. I'm sure it's the most lighthearted movie in this Hall of Fame, so I think this was an excellent nomination just for variety's sake. I would suggest to others to watch this movie around the middle of their Hall of Fame viewings, just to take a break from the other darker films.

-

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Great Silence

This one is a mixed bag for me. Technically speaking, it's score is amazing and the cinematography is gorgeous. The story as a whole is executed pretty well but I thought the dialogue was bland throughout a chunk of the film and the characters other than Kinskis just weren't that interesting to me. Kinski really made a heck of a villain though, his screen presence throughout was rather terrifying. I just wish I would have like the performances of the others just as well as his. This one will be in the middling range for me.

-

Red River: The two leads are great and are playing well drawn, fun characters. The scenes with them together are by far my favorite thing about the film. A couple of the other characters have their moments but mostly feel disposable. That is my biggest problem with the film, especially in the final scene that should be carrying a great deal of weight but comes up shallow.

The Great Silence (1968)
What I liked about it:
  • It had a cool setting in the snowy mountains of Utah.
  • It has a good story of revenge by a man of mystery.
  • It had great cinematography and music score.
  • It had a great cast of actors playing colorful characters.
Nods to:
  • Klaus Kinski as Loco
  • Jean-Louis Trintignant as Silence
  • Vonetta McGee as Pauline
What I didn't care for:
  • Ultra close ups of actor's faces. I never like that in a movie.
  • The English dub makes the dialogue sound odd and off kilter. But I bet in Italian the dialogue was much better.
My thoughts:
  • I'm glad to have watched it as I haven't seen any Spaghetti Westerns other than Eastwood's films.

A couple of the other characters have their moments but mostly feel disposable.
Sad you weren't big on Brennan he was probably my favourite character actually wish he had more screentime.

That is my biggest problem with the film, especially in the final scene that should be carrying a great deal of weight but comes up shallow.
I liked the final scene simply because it was so odd and unexpected. I wasn't really feeling Montgomery Clifts emotional scenes too much during the film so i like that they went for this weird ending instead of an attempted powerful scene. Could see most not liking that though.

Citizen, glad to see Kinski is in that. Wasn't aware, looking forward to it even more now.

The English dub makes the dialogue sound odd and off kilter. But I bet in Italian the dialogue was much better.
This has just became part of the charm of Spaghetti Westerns for me, understand why some don't like it though. I remember Cole was raging because he thought his The Good, The Bad and The Ugly DVD was broke for those reasons

Kinski was a great, bad guy...really creepy and yet still real.

Sad you weren't big on Brennan he was probably my favourite character actually wish he had more screentime.
Brennan? would that be Walter Brennan? If so he rocks every movie I've seen him in.

Yeah, Walter. Think it was the first time i saw him he was great. He was probably in the third most scenes after Wayne and Clift but i'd still be happy with more from him.

I'm pretty sure I seen Red River before.
WARNING: "Spoiler Question" spoilers below
Was there a scene where Walter Brennan goes into a barn and is knocked out by a bad guy?

Here is what I didn't like about final scene of Red River

WARNING: "red" spoilers below
So Wayne kills a guy trying to get to Matt and then the girlfriend steps in. Her speech is cool and I like that neither died but everyone starts laughing like she told you. No harm, no foul. There is a flippin man dead, and he was with you guys. That's what I mean by they treat everyone as disposable besides the two leads.

Here is what I didn't like about final scene of Red River

WARNING: "red" spoilers below
So Wayne kills a guy trying to get to Matt and then the girlfriend steps in. Her speech is cool and I like that neither died but everyone starts laughing like she told you. No harm, no foul. There is a flippin man dead, and he was with you guys. That's what I mean by they treat everyone as disposable besides the two leads.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
I guess so but that guy wasn't liked or trusted. Throughout he made sly remarks about Wayne being an old man which is why i thought it was a good idea (if a bit obvious) that Wayne beat him to the draw, he was also clearly gearing up to get into a duel with Clift . Also was it ever confirmed Valance was dead? I honestly just took it that he was wounded.

I do get where you are coming from.

Edit: put quote tags around it instead of spoiler tags .

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
I guess so but that guy wasn't liked or trusted. Throughout he made sly remarks about Wayne being an old man which is why i thought it was a good idea (if a bit obvious) that Wayne beat him to the draw, he was also clearly gearing up to get into a duel with Clift . Also was it ever confirmed Valance was dead? I honestly just took it that he was wounded.

I do get where you are coming from.

Edit: put quote tags around it instead of spoiler tags .
You could be right. The whole vibe just seemed weird. I did mostly like it though.

I'm pretty sure I seen Red River before.
WARNING: "Spoiler Question" spoilers below
Was there a scene where Walter Brennan goes into a barn and is knocked out by a bad guy?
That's probably Rio Bravo. Correct me if im wrong as I only remember the basic plot.