Cast Away-Spoiler

→ in
Tools    

My Mom, my Dad, and I went in to this movie think, this is going to be a rip off and a copy of the show survivor. I saw all the trailers so I think this movie is going to be a story how he gets on island, a little 20 minute thing on how he escapes by boat, darn trailer, and an hour on him back to USA. Wrong!!!
The beginning is kind of weird with all trading of packages, not knowing this actually means something. Chuck is worker for Fed-Ex and he is a Time Manager. He gets home see's his wife has a little Christmas party with the family. Then they drive to the air port where Chuck has to catch a ride. He says good bye to Helen and gives her a present to open when he gets back.(That we never find out what is, I really wanted to know what it was!!!) Helen almosts forgets Chucks keys that has a pocket knife on it(DOPE!!!) He gets on the plane. I'm expecting a 10 million dollor special effects plane crash and that Tom Hanks does some super man like moves to escape. The movie does a small crash and Tom escapes in a way you wouldn't expect. He survives the waves and ends up on an island. Now I'm expecting a short little survivor thing where he escapes in 20 minutes when he see's a ship's light in the far and tries to get his way there. I'm expecting no injury at all. Wrong Again!!! He hurts his leg. This whole island thing last about 1 hour or more. You wouldn't relize it but it does. you don't relize it because there is almost no talking in this island scene until the last 3/4th and off course all the screaming babies that I hate when parents bring them to movies. Chuck collects all the items that he can that washup on shore from the plane. He finds a pair of ice skates, which i think is the most important tool he gets, a womans dress, a bunch of tapes, the useless devorce papers and the vollyball which is the most important item here. He uses the womans dress to patch wounds that he recieves. he uses the pair of skates to cut things, use as an axe, many other things and when he uses it to take out his hurt tooth(That was the only part of the move that made me cry, and my dad who is getting a root canal) Anyway all is lost when he fails to make fire and hurts his hand. He grabs the vollyball and those it. When he relaxes he looks at the vollyball and see the blood on it. He decides out of crazyness or some unexplainable resorce makes a happy face with the ball. This is part when everyone laughs(which heck who wouldn't laugh) With a new name Wilson the vollyball Chuck makes a new friend, and with this insperation he finally makes fire and we see a great revalution. 4 years later we have a set Chuck and his best friend Wilson the Vollyball. These two talk to each other well really Chuck talks to himself and they or he gets in an argument and Chuck throws Wilson down a cliff. Chuck chases despretly to get it back and finds it.(3/4 of the audience is laughing while 1/4 aren't and understand the meaning of Wilson, ppl like me) Chuck makes a boat and sets sail with his trusty sidekick Wilson at his side nothing should go wrong.(I think Wilson the vollyball should get best supporting actor at the next award show) They set sail and pass the wave obsticles with half a port-a-potie, 40 pieces of wood and heck of a lot of home made rope. Then a big storm comes and the shit is half-distroyed or even more and Chuck wakes up to see his friend Wilson about 30 yards away. He grabs some rope on the ship and starts to head out towards Wilson but misses him by about 10 yards, Then is shows Chuck crying on his ship.(1/2 the audience is laughing like the idiots they are and the other 1/2 almost in tears as we lose one of our all time favorite non-takable characters Wilson). Chuck is found by a boat. Shows little of the boat getting him or really of how he is treated when first found. Now hes on a ride back home where he gets a little celebration of him getting back. Then Chuck meets Helen's husband James Spalwing.(Which is one of the funniest parts in any movie I've seen) He also learns they have a son. there is a little meeting with Helen and Chuck which makes you think that they are getting back together. But alais they don't. The ending is kind of weird and really hard to explain. Go ahead and watch it to understand.
Overall this is the best movies I've seen since the Matrix, this goes 2nd on my all time favorites. Tom Hanks should win praformer of the century for this movie. I give it a 10/10 two thumbs up, 5 stars everything. Watch it. Every single little thing in the movie means something. Nothing gets left out if its from the hand towels, to the little hand watch with picture of Helen in it. See if and when your done PLZ TELL ME WHAT THE PACKAGE SAVING HIS LIFE MEANS, EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

Hi Joe,

Wow, that's a long post! Very funny: Wilson the Volleyball for Best Supporting Actor. Hehe.

The package saved his life because he wanted to deliver it. It gave him something to look forward to, I think. He never opened it.

I also think it was the wings on it - made him think of wind, and the sail, and helped him to formulate the idea to get off the island.

I thought this movie was well done (3 and a half stars out of 5)...I'd probably end up talking to a volleyball too. And we all know we'd at least consider suicide for awhile - as much as we'd like to think we wouldn't.

The only time that tempted me to cry was when he lost Wilson: I really understood that part. It made sense for him to cry there - as odd as it sounds, that's something we all would have done. Humans are made for contact with other humans - substitutions like that are no exception.

Exactly my point at the end. I supose thats what the package meant. Good movie. But it still kills me, what was in that package, and what present did he give to his wife that she never opened

You made one mistake in your review. Chuck is not married. He gives HIS GIRLFRIEND a box with a wedding ring in it and suggests that she not open it until he returns. That is what the gift is.