I don't understand the plot to The Hitcher (1986)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
There are some parts of the plot I thought were really dumb, that it made the movie frustrating to watch.

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
So they never explain how Ryder framed Jim for the murder of the family. Apparently, Jim witnesses the murder of the family, goes to call the police, and then the police show up and arrest and him say that half the state has been looking for him. How did Ryder get half the state to look for him over this murders?
Did Ryder go the police first, and lie about who he saw commit the murders and gave a description? This is not explained unless I missed it?

Another thing is, after Jim is locked in a cell, till the police sort things out, he then takes a nap, wakes up and finds that his cell is unlocked and that every officer in building has been murdered. I find it very hard to believe Ryder could have pulled this off all by himself.
So then Jim hears sirens coming towards the station and decides to make a run for it. Why? This is so illogical and will complicate matters even more. All he has to do is go back in the cell he was being held in, shut the door, and then when the police come in, he just explains that he was locked in their as the all the murders of the police officers happened.
That would be the smartest thing to do rather than run for it, and try to escape this Ryder psycho plus the police, compared to explaining to the police and have them around you the whole time, for when Ryder shows up next.

Another thing is, I didn't believe at all that the police would allow a woman to be torn apart by two trucks, when they could have just severed the ropes tying her to the two trucks. Even if they only had time to sever the ropes with a shotgun, sure it may damage her feet, but it looks better than the police allowing someone to be murdered right in front of them without making zero effort do anything about it. I didn't buy it all, and the police are portrayed as idiots just for the sake it.

Another thing is, that Ryder's motivations are never explained at all.

It feels like it was written by a writer who only had a couple of days to come up with a script as a time limit so, they didn't have any clew where this premise was going to go, and just made it up as they wrote along, without a plan. Unless I missed something, since some people like this movie it seems?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
It's supposed to be mysterious, and is clearly one of those movies you have to accept that "its a movie" and highly unlikely events are happening.

So they never explain how Ryder framed Jim for the murder of the family. Apparently, Jim witnesses the murder of the family, goes to call the police, and then the police show up and arrest and him say that half the state has been looking for him. How did Ryder get half the state to look for him over this murders?
Did Ryder go the police first, and lie about who he saw commit the murders and gave a description? This is not explained unless I missed it?
It's because he was a suspect. The police took Jim's call as suspicious, like something a crazy man might do. His distraught appearance also probably gave off a bad vibe. He wasn't necessarily framed, but brought in as a suspect, and treated like one (in the South). Then a bloody switchblade was found on him when arrested, obviously planted by Ryder. More events happen along the course of the film that further incriminate him.

Another thing is, after Jim is locked in a cell, till the police sort things out, he then takes a nap, wakes up and finds that his cell is unlocked and that every officer in building has been murdered. I find it very hard to believe Ryder could have pulled this off all by himself.
Ryder seems to be a good shot going by the helicopter scene. It's possible for a smart man with good shooting skills. Not many cops in that small police station anyhow.
So then Jim hears sirens coming towards the station and decides to make a run for it. Why? This is so illogical and will complicate matters even more. All he has to do is go back in the cell he was being held in, shut the door, and then when the police come in, he just explains that he was locked in their as the all the murders of the police officers happened. That would be the smartest thing to do rather than run for it, and try to escape this Ryder psycho plus the police, compared to explaining to the police and have them around you the whole time, for when Ryder shows up next.
That would be smarter, but not a natural response in that given situation. Humans, when afraid for their lives, often choose to flee the scene. We often make emotional decisions rather than logical ones.
Another thing is, I didn't believe at all that the police would allow a woman to be torn apart by two trucks, when they could have just severed the ropes tying her to the two trucks. Even if they only had time to sever the ropes with a shotgun, sure it may damage her feet, but it looks better than the police allowing someone to be murdered right in front of them without making zero effort do anything about it. I didn't buy it all, and the police are portrayed as idiots just for the sake it.
They could've gotten a crack shot to blow out the ropes...true. But it's for movie's sake. And who knows...Ryder could've backed into/over her the second they broke the rope.
Another thing is, that Ryder's motivations are never explained at all.
Moving your way through the film, you should find the answers to the questions that have been pondering you since the beginning. There's one line that may explain why everything happened, like the reason for the hitcher's motive..
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
It's Ryder's line when he first takes Jim hostage..."I Want To Die".
Jim and Ryder play a game of cat and mouse throughout the film to see who's stronger, who will win the "competition".
Ryder almost seems to give him a chance of survival with each encounter. Like testing to see if he's quick, smart, or tough enough to be a worthy adversary. Why? Because he's crazy. And because Jim was the only one of Ryder's victims to get away. Ryder saw that "potential".

Hope this clears it all up for you.

I guess I just thought that in the heat of the moment even, running from the police will make things worse, at least to me.

Even though Ryder likes toying with someone, I don't get why his muse is Jim specifically. What's so special about Jim to be a crazy man's muse. I also still don't buy the police and thought they were dumb. Sure Ryder could still kill her, but they would at least try cause it looks bad if a person is torn in half and the police do not anything about it. In their reports it would make them look way too stupid, and they want to advance in their careers I suspect, rather than all be known as those stupid cops, by everyone else. Sure the police might have failed, but I thought it would be much more believable if the writers wrote it so that they attempt to rescue the woman and fail, rather than not even try at all. Plus attempting to rescue her then fail would make it more exciting anyway, wouldn't it?

I guess I just thought that in the heat of the moment even, running from the police will make things worse, at least to me.
Yes, but like I said, it's a very believable action in a high-stress situation. People choose to flee. Jim might've thought he would be blamed either way. Besides, Ryder might have taken the cell keys anyway.

Even though Ryder likes toying with someone, I don't get why his muse is Jim specifically. What's so special about Jim to be a crazy man's muse.
As I said, Jim was the only victim to escape. Ryder thus perceived him as clever. He wanted to keep pursuing Jim to see how smart/tough he really is.

I also still don't buy the police and thought they were dumb. Sure Ryder could still kill her, but they would at least try cause it looks bad if a person is torn in half and the police do not anything about it. In their reports it would make them look way too stupid, and they want to advance in their careers I suspect, rather than all be known as those stupid cops, by everyone else. Sure the police might have failed, but I thought it would be much more believable if the writers wrote it so that they attempt to rescue the woman and fail, rather than not even try at all. Plus attempting to rescue her then fail would make it more exciting anyway, wouldn't it?
I agree with you there. They could have at least tried.

I don't know I guess if a psycho killer was after me, and he already killed like 10 police officers, in the station I was locked up in, and more police were arriving, I would feel much more safe with those police compared to fleeing and then having those police on my tail plus the killer. It just seems like you are making yourself less safe, if you flee and try to take on the killer, plus the police that will come after you, all by yourself. To me that just says he's trying to play hero, which seems less believable, than relying on the police, with such a dangerous killer.

When you say Jim was the only victim to escape, you mean escape Ryder's very first encounter?

I don't know I guess if a psycho killer was after me, and he already killed like 10 police officers, in the station I was locked up in, and more police were arriving, I would feel much more safe with those police compared to fleeing and then having those police on my tail plus the killer. It just seems like you are making yourself less safe, if you flee and try to take on the killer, plus the police that will come after you, all by yourself. To me that just says he's trying to play hero, which seems less believable, than relying on the police, with such a dangerous killer.
Maybe Jim got caught up in the game, and felt he had to fight off Ryder because otherwise it would never end. Ryder would come after him again and again. The police were also quite hostile toward Jim, and kind of quick to blame (stereotypical southern police). They might've condemned him even if he locked himself in his cell.
When you say Jim was the only victim to escape, you mean escape Ryder's very first encounter?
Yes. I'm talking about Ryder's first encounter with him in the car where Jim saw an opportunity to push him out, and did just that. Ryder killed before and after Jim. But not Jim. He was the one that got away.

Oh okay, well I guess I felt I just need more background on Ryder for reason, or at least more explanation from another character that would know him perhaps. Just something more...

As for for the police condemning him, what would they do exactly? Perhaps I am missing something. I did buy it in The Terminator when Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese fled the police station, but didn't buy it here so much though.

Oh okay, well I guess I felt I just need more background on Ryder for reason, or at least more explanation from another character that would know him perhaps. Just something more...

As for for the police condemning him, what would they do exactly? Perhaps I am missing something. I did buy it in The Terminator when Sarah Connor and Kyle Reese fled the police station, but didn't buy it here so much though.
Don't know what they would've done. Maybe they would "take care" of him. Some of them were pretty hotheaded. Otherwise they would have left him in jail and hastily arranged a trial, hoping for capital punishment. Even so, Ryder probably wouldn't have stopped his crusade against Jim until one of them was dead. The way Jim saw it, both Ryder and the police were his enemies.

Oh okay, well I guess maybe coming into this movie as a non-American, maybe I need more establishment on this southern police mentality. I didn't even know this was the South since the accents didn't seem as deep in this one compared to other movies I've seen.