I'm Getting Tired Discussing Movies By Myself

Tools    

I guess I wore this column out. I wish there was more online discussion in the form of a movie chat room where one can elicit instant response. What do You think?

I guess I wore this column out. I wish there was more online discussion in the form of a movie chat room where one can elicit instant response. What do You think?
When too much 'topic' chat gets going in the chat-box, it gets moved to a thread. Because of that, I doubt an actual chat room ever gets created.
You should do the mofo movie lists. Then start watching, and collecting, any of them that you have missed so far.

When too much 'topic' chat gets going in the chat-box, it gets moved to a thread. Because of that, I doubt an actual chat room ever gets created.
You should do the mofo movie lists. Then start watching, and collecting, any of them that you have missed so far.
I try to collect only what I like and so far there is very few that I don't have. I've kept journals of everything I've seen over the years ( getting close to 11,000 selected movies) and up to now I own over 3500, but I have to like them to own them. Nowadays before I even see a new movie, I'll first see the trailer to see if I'm interested. An excellent source is Video Detective because it has a calendar of movie releases, new and old and you can pretty much see a trailer of everything that's on dvd as well as new theatrical releases.

I try to collect only what I like and so far there is very few that I don't have. I've kept journals of everything I've seen over the years ( getting close to 11,000 selected movies) and up to now I own over 3500, but I have to like them to own them. Nowadays before I even see a new movie, I'll first see the trailer to see if I'm interested. An excellent source is Video Detective because it has a calendar of movie releases, new and old and you can pretty much see a trailer of everything that's on dvd as well as new theatrical releases.
So, have you checked out all of the lists? Maybe there are some that you don't know of. Then you can check out the trailer, to see if they interest you any.

Cool, it works . . . Laura

That is a movie from the mofo list. Everyone should do this, before watching any movies, that you worry may be a waste of your money.

I'm not sure I understand the complaint; you desire faster responses to your threads? To your posts? Both?

Anyway, we've made some attempts at establishing a chat room, but it hasn't worked too well. We try to keep the mood around here a bit more measured and thoughtful, which doesn't really suit instantaneous chat. I'm open to the idea of organizing "official" chats for certain events, though. I think that's the only way in which it'd make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted by Yoda
I'm open to the idea of organizing "official" chats for certain events, though. I think that's the only way in which it'd make a lot of sense.
I think we could do an Oscar chatroom each February, rather than just using the shoutbox....though that would negate about five-hundred of my total shouts thus far.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I would like to respond more often to cinemafan's posts, but it's just that so far I find them missing a hook to make me or probably others jump in. cinemafan, why don't you introduce a subject casually and let others respond? I will try to do that when I see them.

I'm not a big fan of chat rooms that's why I'm here. I'm sure there are chat rooms out there where you can instantaneously talk about movies though. God, some of you guys think some of the spelling is bad here, lol, try a chat room!

I think we could do an Oscar chatroom each February, rather than just using the shoutbox....though that would negate about five-hundred of my total shouts thus far.
Yeah, the Oscars are exactly what I had in mind. The more I think about it, though, the more I have trouble coming up with any other event for which it would work. Maybe, every once in a blue moon, an eventless chat with a designated topic, or just for the hell of it, but definitely not too often.

I'll definitely see about organizing an Oscar chat for next year. I don't know if people would prefer it to The Shoutbox or not, so we'll probably revisit this in a couple months and see if there's any kind of consensus either way.

Yeah, the Oscars are exactly what I had in mind. The more I think about it, though, the more I have trouble coming up with any other event for which it would work. Maybe, every once in a blue moon, an eventless chat with a designated topic, or just for the hell of it, but definitely not too often.

I'll definitely see about organizing an Oscar chat for next year. I don't know if people would prefer it to The Shoutbox or not, so we'll probably revisit this in a couple months and see if there's any kind of consensus either way.
Well, something else we can try a couple times is to schedule a screening of a movie. It would work best if it was a favorite we've all seen multiple times (like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, judging from the John Hughes thread). We'd pick a time to all synch up our DVD players and watch it "together", commenting about our favorite parts and such as it goes.

With the various time zones of our regulars, this may be tricky, but we could see who is most interested. They do this on the Clint Eastwood web board that I belong to, and of course everybody there has seen all of Clint's flicks many, many times (even the dogs like Pink Cadillac and The Rookie), so it seems to work.

ANYway....

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Well, something else we can try a couple times is to schedule a screening of a movie. It would work best if it was a favorite we've all seen multiple times (like Ferris Bueller's Day Off, judging from the John Hughes thread). We'd pick a time to all synch up our DVD players and watch it "together", commenting about our favorite parts and such as it goes.

With the various time zones of our regulars, this may be tricky, but we could see who is most interested. They do this on the Clint Eastwood web board that I belong to, and of course everybody there has seen all of Clint's flicks many, many times (even the dogs like Pink Cadillac and The Rookie), so it seems to work.

ANYway....
That sounds really fun. Everyone watching a movie together would be a kick. An Oscar Night chat would be cool too.

Having a regular chatroom worked about as well as a chocolate teapot, though. [/channelling Tacitus]

The People's Republic of Clogher
We used to do that on the late BBC Movies board. *sniff*

It was good fun.

Originally Posted by Sammie
Having a regular chatroom worked about as well as a chocolate teapot, though. [/channelling Tacitus]
Heh, I thought I could smell something above the chicken bhuna in the oven.

EDIT - Maybe there are enough new members to start up another DVD club? It'll only work if you let me have my way. As they say "It's either my way or Bob Hope!"

Or something...

HERE is a transcript from when the folks at the Eastwood Board watched Every Which Way But Loose together in July of this year. They don't use a chat room, simply doing it as a string of posts in a thread. But you'll get the idea.

I'm in!

It is a good idea but not for me a lot of the time I am here alone because of the time thingy

I think this is an excellent idea. I haven't missed Oscar night in 30 years (as well as New Year's College Bowl Games) but have not always watched it with the right company. It would ber great to be able to watch and discuss live with a bunch of other movie-lovers.

I'm defintly for a chatroom for the site - but for the oscars , I don't have a T.V in the same room as my computer : and they don't host them on the internet

I'm defintly for a chatroom for the site - but for the oscars , I don't have a T.V in the same room as my computer : and they don't host them on the internet
That shouldn't be an insourmantable problem: watch it with someone that has both in the same room and ask to use their computer, re-arange your own just for that occassion or buy a cheap portable TV that you can have anywhere.

That shouldn't be an insourmantable problem: watch it with someone that has both in the same room and ask to use their computer, re-arange your own just for that occassion or buy a cheap portable TV that you can have anywhere.
all out of the question