Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I mentioned that one as a peripheral example. It definitely is at the outskirts of stretching the term. The relevant aspects being the grisliness of the murders (although largely inexplicit on screen) and the use of the camera to simulate "stalking". But these are not hard and fast rules, nor should they be.

Heh. Well, along the noirish themes of fate, temptation and existential dread, and the specific style of shadow composition in the genre, I still find pre-American Hitchcock and Lang well within the boundaries.
I thought you were referencing The Leopard Man because I had put it on my list of top Slashers in that thread, my bad.

'The Turin Horse' (2011)

Directed by Béla Tarr & Ágnes Hranitzky

I just got lost in this film. In a good way. Utterly transfixed by the 2 family members struggling to survive in a shack while a gale blows outside. It's mesmerizingly beautiful and minimal, just like other Tarr films I've seen. It's a very pessimistic film - most things in it refuse to work or live at some point (probably not a coincidence seeing as Tarr said this would be his final film). And the opening words state that Nietzsche's mind effectively refused to work, after seeing a horse being flogged in the streets of Turin.

Some may wonder why anyone would sit through nearly 3 hours of slow zooms, pans and leaves blowing, and barely a plot - but that is Tarr's philosophical nature. The answer is because it's pure cinema. Pure austere, unforgiving visual poetry. Like Tarkovsky and others that came before it, it is the art of film-making shoved in our faces.

Good movie, one the best horror movies from NetFlix.

Le Bal (1983) Ettore Scola.
Musical. But no words spoken. The whole film is set in a dance hall, an covers different periods of music and history in France.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Gridlock'd (1997):
A film about the adventure of 2 buddies/musicians trying to get to a detox center and the weird things they find along the way, everything from gangsters to cops. I thought this was an entertaining and funny movie, I think Tupac would've had a longer career, especially after films like this and Gang Related, he would've switched more to acting though. Great soundtrack as well, if people haven't seen the movie, then they've at least heard the soundtrack.

8.5/10

Target Number One (2020)

Dramatization of a true story about a heroin addict who mistakenly gets set up by Canadian SIS Authorities as a drugs kingpin so they can get major arrests under pressure from their bosses.

Atmoshpheric with a neat soundtrack. Josh Hartnett does well as the investigative journalist that helps uncover the story that the SIS authorities would rather stay buried.

Strong

I guess I'm more comfortable with just believing if a film tells me that two people complete each other, unless I am distracted by details in the film that seem to indicate otherwise.
Fair point. I need to let go of my cynicism a bit. Guilty as charged.

I think that even the film depictions of the story do a pretty good job. A great example is just the look that Darcy gives Lizzie when he realizes she hiked a huge distance by foot in a storm to come and see her sick sister--it's this mix of admiration, curiosity, and a pinch of "is this chick crazy?" and it makes complete sense as a moment that would start feelings of love.
I assume you mean the Colin Firth version? There’ve been a few, that’s all. I do like them for a rainy day, though for some utterly absurd reason, I found myself preferring the Darcy in the Keira Knightley version.

I'll admit that the "stalker as protagonist" thing has kept me away.
I thought that might have been the case. I did mostly like it as a product. It’s original, if nothing else, and there’s something utterly mad about the fact he genuinely sees ‘love’ as his motivation. But I do get how that might turn someone off. I refused to watch Breaking Bad for years because I really didn’t want to get invested in a plot that had anything to do with cancer. I guess it’s a kind of deep-rooted phobia - though I’m by no means saying every aversion stems from something like that. Anyway, You is just unusual, because typically a film shows us women obsessed with love and men who either have lust after women, or don’t care. But this thing is about a man who cares about nothing in his life except having a girlfriend/relationship/love, it just seemed utterly crazy - which says something about how attitudes still haven’t quite changed.

I assume you mean the Colin Firth version? There’ve been a few, that’s all. I do like them for a rainy day, though for some utterly absurd reason, I found myself preferring the Darcy in the Keira Knightley version.
Same here. You mean Matthew Macfadyen. So cute & handsome in P&P. Also adorably weird in Successionhbo.

Firth to me seems to have a limited range of emotions. Not my favorite actor though I like his voice.

Same here. You mean Matthew Macfadyen. So cute & handsome in P&P. Also adorably weird in Successionhbo.

Firth to me seems to have a limited range of emotions. Not my favorite actor though I like his voice.
Yes, exactly! I’m with you on that - and how insane, I haven’t seen that film for a decade, probably, and I had no idea it was him.

Yes, exactly! I’m with you on that - and how insane, I haven’t seen that film for a decade, probably, and I had no idea it was him.
Stick with me kid. You might learn something.

Victim of The Night
Harper - Paul Newman looks like he's having fun with this and that's what sells the movie. He plays worn down private detective Lew Harper who's hired by the rich and paralyzed Elaine Sampson (Lauren Bacall) to find her missing husband. As is usually the MO with PI movies the seemingly uncomplicated case turns into anything but with the usual tangled web of likely suspects. There's the rich man's personal pilot (Robert Wagner) his oversexed daughter (Pamela Tiffin) his attorney and close friend of Harper (Arthur Hill) and lots of colorful riffraff including Shelley Winters, Robert Webber, Strother Martin and Julie Harris. The cast, as you can tell, is first rate and there are plenty of red herrings and Newman's character gets the usual amount of lumps and beatings. His Harper is equal parts laconic and sardonic and altogether entertaining. 90/100
I also liked this movie a good bit. The sequel wasn't bad either (in my distant recollection) but not as good as Harper.

I thought that might have been the case. I did mostly like it as a product. It’s original, if nothing else, and there’s something utterly mad about the fact he genuinely sees ‘love’ as his motivation. But I do get how that might turn someone off. I refused to watch Breaking Bad for years because I really didn’t want to get invested in a plot that had anything to do with cancer.
Did you like it once you did watch it, though...?

= )

Did you like it once you did watch it, though...?

= )
That’s my point.

‘Like’ is not the word. I thought whoever the **** is in charge of this universe has never before, or since, produced anything as supremely perfect.

P.S. not that I’m expecting that profound an impact on Takoma - @Takoma11, please tell me you’re not mad at me

The Witches 2020

Much like the original film but the real magic here is missing and has been replaced by cgi and a Chris Rock voice over, okay whatever.. forgettable

Bridge Of Spies 2015

It always seem when I watch a Tom Hanks film recently he need a good sleep at the end and you want that for him.. this is no exception, another predictably great performance from the main man and a quality Cold War thriller that left a tear in my eye

Gretel And Hansel

Don’t get the bad reviews, it’s not perfect but it’s really good, dark and pretty.

Ghosts Of War

Whoa,, Whoa calm the **** down.. the creepy parts were creepy and even quite disturbing but then it goes all outer limits and then it goes all (well I don’t want to give too much away but it goes places, places you don’t expect it to go and it’s kinda ****ed up.. not terrible but.. overstuffed
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The House by the Cemetery - This is third Lucio Fulci movie I've seen after The Beyond and Zombie. Let's just say those were better movies. This has it's charms of course but it's also slow moving and dull in spots. A family moves to an isolated house so the dad can carry on with researching a "Dr. Freudstein". That's not even the first instance of an oddly named character. The family includes a little boy named Bob. Not Bobby or even Robbie. Bob. He's a tow headed, annoying little character with a badly dubbed voice. There are also holes in the plot that will leave you shaking your head. The wife stumbles upon a grave situated smack in the middle of their living room. It's clearly marked with the name Freudstein but when her husband later mentions that exact name she gives no sign of ever having heard of him. This being a Fulci film there's plenty of gore and dismembered body parts and plenty of gonzo moments and situations. The ending made me wonder if Rob Zombie drew inspiration from this while making House of 1000 Corpses. I suppose it can fall under the "so bad it's good" category but your enjoyment will probably depend on how far you're willing to go to overlook the dead spots. 45/100

Fair point. I need to let go of my cynicism a bit. Guilty as charged.
I think it's more that most couples I know in real life who (seem to) have very solid, loving relationships, it's not always super obvious what the deep mechanics are that make them that way. It's just more that the vibe they give off together makes sense.

I was actually thinking of both. I think that it's a scene (where Lizzie arrives all muddy and soaked) that both versions do really well. I find both performances of Darcy to be pretty solid (and, honestly, both full casts).

Anyway, You is just unusual, because typically a film shows us women obsessed with love and men who either have lust after women, or don’t care. But this thing is about a man who cares about nothing in his life except having a girlfriend/relationship/love, it just seemed utterly crazy - which says something about how attitudes still haven’t quite changed.
I think that there are actually quite a few movies about men who say they want love/companionship instead of just sex (right off my head something like The Collector), often including scenes where the male character is offended/disgusted if the female character offers herself to him sexually.

I would argue that any relationship dynamic in which you are wanting a person to be "yours" without regard to their consent/desires if inherently objectifying.

Someone might say that they want love/affection/respect, but if the primary driver behind that is control of another person, it is abuse.

I think that the pattern you're picking up on maybe has more to do with the fears of the different genders. I think it's true that women fear sexual violence more than they fear an overly persistent boyfriend. And on the flip side, I think that men are more taught to fear the woman who is desperate for commitment/marriage/a baby because she will "trap" you (and then in horror movies this "trapping" often becomes literal, like in The Loved Ones).

I think it's true that women fear sexual violence more than they fear an overly persistent boyfriend.
Many times it’s one & the same thing.