Movies You Thought You'd Love, But Don't?

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I was just in a funny mood tonight. Seriously no I've never seen No Country For Old Men. I'll have to watch it one of these days, I'm not real big on the Coen Brothers though.

Catch ya latter! dinner time.
I thought it was fun. Thanks for playing along.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
12 Angry Men (bleeding heart pandering, hated it)
Jackie (right wing political rabble, hated it too)
Dial M for Murder (meh)
Betsy's Wedding (not funny)
Magic in the Moonlight (Woody Allen at his most unimaginative)
Diana (the worst bio-pic ever made....well maybe)
12 Angry Men is NOT bleeding heart pandering in the slightest. It's not ethos at work at all, but logos. Only the primary antagonist believes that the opposing side is based on sympathy, and that's his flaw. You need to look a little deeper.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
The Matrix. Incredibly entertaining, but overrated- and the music is cheesy. It's cool and groundbreaking and I like it but it's not one of my favorites.

I have never been able to watch Casablanca or Citizen Kane. People rave about these two movies, but the little I've seen of them leaves me stone cold.
After a couple failed attempts, I actually came to enjoy Casablanca (took a minute to not hear parodies of the movie with every line!). Right there with you on Citizen Kane, though (although I do have it in my Netflix queue to give it another go one of these years).

This is only a joke post, so don't get all uptight You didn't understand it.

You didn't understand it.

You didn't understand them.

Finally! Now I get it!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who's not crazy about every move the Coens make. Raising Arizona? The Big Lebowski? O, Brother, Where Art Thou? Yeah, sure, great. Um, everything else of theirs I've seen so far (admittedly not a lot)? Nah.

This is only a joke post, so don't get all uptight You didn't understand it.

You didn't understand them.

I have seen Blade Runner few times, and probably will watch it again before the reboot.

Every time I saw it, I felt the same.

If a movie is that complex to understand, then it's too hard to love.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
12 Angry Men is NOT bleeding heart pandering in the slightest. It's not ethos at work at all, but logos. Only the primary antagonist believes that the opposing side is based on sympathy, and that's his flaw. You need to look a little deeper.
conformity, perception, distortion, etc... a great movie.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I did not care for Burn After Reading. Love the casting. More or less liked the individual stories. At the end of the day, nothing came together for me.

I've been thinking on this thread for some time off and on, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I cannot think of any movies that just disappointed me. I mean, ones that I expected to really enjoy. Perhaps I've blocked them, mentally?

*EDIT*
Enemy at the Gates

I remember being pretty excited by the trailer for this one. The editing (at least to the trailer!) made me think this movie might be some type of conceptual reinvention of the standard war flick. I remember being taken back by the momentary freeze-frame and transition effects during certain cuts within the trailer. The movie, unfortunately, was without those effects and the story was fairly standard I thought, and did not make up for my visual disappointment.

ID4
I may have listed this disappointment elsewhere but it pissed me off so much it deserves additional highlight. I'm a sci-fi nerd from birth. This movie promised to be action-packed, epic, and dark (I mean, it's the end of the world!). My mistake to assume that this movie had intentions of being serious. I guess.

What's that? Aliens? If we only had a scientist that could... what? Your ex husband? GREAT! Now, if we only had some context to this invader...do what, now? We have a SHIP of theirs in a super secret underground base ALREADY?! AWESOMESAUSCE! Now. If we only had a live spe....oh REALLY?! YES! Let's talk to it!!! Now.... if only we just had a one-in-a-million pilot to fly this thing back to the mothers.... YOU?! YOU can pilot this??! what LUCK!!! Wait. didn't you fail... ah hell. Nevermind. You'll do, Mr. Smith! Do you think we could infiltrate their.... oh? you already have a Mac-based VIRUS to upload onto an alien network based on our infantile understanding of 1990's earth technology?! Can it fit on a USB... wait no. I mean, can it fit on a floppy!? Or even an IOMEGA ZIP!? Let's hope they have 56k dialup, or at least a standard 9-pin serial port!! ...and on and on.

**** that movie really annoys the hell out of me.
Sorry for not tagging that in spoilers.

p.s. I'm aware that I misspelled sauce. what's the point in going back now? ID4 sucks, and then you die. life has no meaning anymore. game over, man....

But still!!!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I did not care for Burn After Reading. Love the casting. More or less liked the individual stories. At the end of the day, nothing came together for me.

I've been thinking on this thread for some time off and on, and it's bugging the hell out of me that I cannot think of any movies that just disappointed me. I mean, ones that I expected to really enjoy. Perhaps I've blocked them, mentally?
Same here - both paragraphs!

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I loved Burn After Reading - several times - and I think it's why I didnt like No Country. I stupidly expected it to be the same tone so will have to go back for a rewatch when I'm feeling in a mood for something darker.

Legend in my own mind
Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
^BvS

I'm mixed on that one. I get the criticisms, I do and I agree with a lot of them. I really enjoyed the movie apart from a few obvious cringe moments, but a lot of it seemed out of left field. I'm really hoping that the following movies help stabilize and ground BvS ...really hoping =*(

12 Angry Men (bleeding heart pandering, hated it)
Jackie (right wing political rabble, hated it too)
Dial M for Murder (meh)
Betsy's Wedding (not funny)
Magic in the Moonlight (Woody Allen at his most unimaginative)
Diana (the worst bio-pic ever made....well maybe)
I can never get over how you don't like 12 Angry Men - especially since we usually agree on most movies. I've always found it to be one of those ones where, once I turn it on, I can't turn it off (I think it's THAT good)! And the funny thing, as you know, I'm quite conservative - but I've never seen it as bleeding heart.

It's really a social study - and an acting showcase as 12 diverse characters (and actors) are confined to play off each other (and don't get me started on the fine ensemble cast of classic male supporting actors of the 60's).

I'd agree that the message is simple and the reality of 11 jurors changing their positions may be a bit hard to swallow, but the setting of a trial deliberation is merely the backdrop to a great play.

I can never get over how you don't like 12 Angry Men - especially since we usually agree on most movies.
I know what you mean! I had considered it one of the great classics, then the last time I watched it, I just flipped my viewpoint on it, and went from loving it to hating it.

It's not boring, in fact it's riveting and filmed and acted extremely well too.

I've always found it to be one of those ones where, once I turn it on, I can't turn it off (I think it's THAT good)! And the funny thing, as you know, I'm quite conservative - but I've never seen it as bleeding heart.
I know what you mean here too. I'm actually quite liberal on most issues, so you would think I would love 12 Angry Men, only it makes me angry too!

I know what you mean! I had considered it one of the great classics, then the last time I watched it, I just flipped my viewpoint on it, and went from loving it to hating it.

It's not boring, in fact it's riveting and filmed and acted extremely well too.

I know what you mean here too. I'm actually quite liberal on most issues, so you would think I would love 12 Angry Men, only it makes me angry too!
Interesting.

Why did your feeling toward it just flip so drastically? What did you see in it that you suddenly realized that changed the way you viewed it?

I know you said it's bleeding heart pandering (are you channelling Lee J. Cobb here?) and I'm assuming that's due to the messages of prejudice made blatantly clear in the movie - yes, they hit you over the head with it.

The only thing that used to make me angry about it was Jack Warden's character wanting to get to the ball game!

To be fair to Citizen, following the crowd would be liking 12 Angry Men if anything him disliking it is going against the crowd. Unless i'm misunderstanding you there.