Pirates of the Caribbean at Worlds End

→ in
Tools    

Has anyone seen it yet? Any thoughts? I'm going to see it tonight, I'm pretty excited. I'll review it tomorrow.

Has anyone seen it yet? Any thoughts? I'm going to see it tonight, I'm pretty excited. I'll review it tomorrow.

i saw it!! it was really good

I went yesterday to a matinee of PotC III and still paid too much to see it. Its about 45 minutes too long and it tries too hard to get Keira, Orlando and Johnny face time that you end up with....this. There is alot of action though, I can't deny that, and the SFX are really good, but I still say wait for the boxset around fall/Christmas time and watch it at your own leisure, when you can pause to go to the bathroom and fast forward through all the useless crap.

I went to see it yesterday... It didn't convince me much...I dunno. It was a good movie though, but I think "Dead Man's Chest" was better.
For being a Disney movie, it has a lot of action and deaths...I don't think this is appropriate for children..
But on the other hand, this one is the most hilarious of the three. Jack Sparrow cracked me up!! (and like always, he was soooooo f.ucking gorgeous!!!!)

It was a well-done movie, but the time was a little too long. It provided enough action scenes, but the plot just lagged on at times. It was still good enough though that if and most-likely when the fourth one comes out, I will go see it in a couple of years.

Saw it this afternoon. Here's my review:

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

There's no denying that the executive who greenlit Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl was one gutsy fellow. Not many people would approve a budget far north of $100 million for a film set in an all-but-dead genre, based on an ancient Disney World ride, no less. The result, of course, was one of the most original, charming, and widely accessible films of the last decade. Now, director Gore Verbinski's trilogy reaches its end, and despite a few spats of confusion, it does so as boldly as it began.

At World's End picks up a bit after Dead Man's Chest: Barbosa has returned from the dead, and William and Elizabeth have learned that it's possible to rescue Captain Jack Sparrow from the same fate. To that end, William has tried to steal a navigational chart from one of the nine Pirate Lords so they can find their way to Davey Jones' locker and find Jack.

The audience can be forgiven for not realizing there were nine Pirate Lords, as there wasn't any mention of it before, despite the fact that we were two-thirds of the way into the trilogy already. More details are then added: Barbosa calls for a ceremonial meeting of the Pirate Lords, relating to their decision long ago to imprison Calypso, the Goddess of the Sea. Why these events and histories were not foreshadowed, I don't know, but the film suffers early on by cramming it all in. It feels a good more like exposition than revelation.

Things pick up a bit after that dizzying amount of information, and the Pirates charm and levity starts to shine through. Verbinski has struck a delicate balance, wherein everything is simultaneously exciting and amusing. So deft is this balance, that the film stays entertaining even near the end of the first hour, when the plot's machinations and criss-crossing betrayals become impossible to make sense of. If anyone reading this can state with any confidence just who was playing whom, and why, my tri-cornered hat is off to you.

Convolutions aside, the film is breezy and fun most of the way through. Every noteworthy character from the first two films makes an appearance, but it never feels obligatory. The cast has a good time of it, with everyone pulling their weight. Depp avoids becoming a caricature of himself or mugging for the camera, and Keith Richards is surprisingly coherent in his much-ballyhoed role as Jack's father.

There's a lot going on here, and large portions of the plot feel entirely unnecessary, but for every untied loose end there are several satisfying conclusions, and the fate of one major character is both surprising and daring. In the end, much more of it works than not, and the climactic battle sequences are genuinely thrilling. It also goes without saying that the film is a technical wonder, featuring seamless CGI and a mind-boggling set and costume work.

While not as neatly wrapped as The Curse of the Black Pearl, At World's End still has plenty of substance behind its spectacle, and ends the ingenuitive trilogy on a strong note.

Nice review Yods, I saw this today and was thrilled by it. The long running time did drag a bit ...........but now that think about it, nothing shown on the screen was unnecessary, well maybe except the joke about pirates being unoriginal in naming things...um actually never mind that was a highlight of humor at a good point in the film. Yes it was a bit gruesome at times, but this is a film about pirates after all. Without "spoiling" it too much I have to say that the only thing I did not like was the outcome of the Calypso fiasco, but other than that I loved the trilogy.

I enjoyed it also and agree with the previous posts it was a bit to long. I thought it was better than Dead Mans Chest but not as good as the original. I'm hoping for a fourth film.

A lot better than i expected, have to admit. Still seemed irrelevant and shoving lots of new unexplanied elements in to justify it and make the 'epic' runtime. Only things i didn't like were the blatant Leone rip-off and Monty Python humour (didn't see it as homage). That said, it improved on all the points i had problems with in the second, boring characters and the overt focus and caricaturisation of Depp. Some storylines, like Calypso could (and should) have been cut though. The graphics were breath-taking but thought more would've been made of the war and Chow Yun Fat.

Anyone else think Jack's piece would be his hat?

I didn't care for it. Johnny Depp looks tired of the role, laughs were minimal and I thought it was going in a more dynamic direction that turned out to be false hope.

WARNING: "ahoy, matey" spoilers below
Sao Feng should have been more redeeming. As it was, his only purpose in this movie was to die. No way to treat a star. Then I thought Elizabeth was going to arc into a burly pirate king, but instead reverts back to girly-girl just to marry Will, who should have himself arced into a swashbuckling captain on his own. Granted this would have removed the love story of the first movie, but does anyone care about that anymore? If it's not going to be funny, then it should have taken a more serious turn and abandoned the love story. Keith Richards was a joke. I've never seen a more shameless cameo.

I enjoyed it also and agree with the previous posts it was a bit to long. I thought it was better than Dead Mans Chest but not as good as the original. I'm hoping for a fourth film.

Personally I enjoyed POTC: AWE. I had fun during its 2hr. and 58 min. length. Now one thing I don't get, is that if one enjoys the film wouldn't the length NOT matter? I myself get into the picture and time is not of the essence. I guess that's just me.

Also, did anyone stay for the clip at the end of the credits? If so, let me know.

Oh, BTW.....Yes, there will be a Pirates of the Caribbean 4 !!!

I'll keep you updated.

there was a clip awww darnit

I don't know why, but I'm starting to hate post-credits clips. The one in X3 was particularly irritating.

What happens in this one?
Jack gets a kiss from a 50 foot giant Calypso and she looks at his crotch ans says HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH i want pimpdashizzle not you ya silly fo'!!!!!!!!!!

Should I call you Logan, Weapon X?
I saw this film last night and it was a complete disaster. It ran for 3hr 15mins. The cinema I saw it in had a 15min interval after the first 2 hours.

The storyline is painfully drawn out, boring and at some points confusing. At the heart of it however the storyline was extremely weak. I wasn't engaged in the film at all.

The ending was okish I thought at the time, but looking back on it, it was pretty awful.

Same old tricks as PotC2, **** storyline, long running time with little content. Very boring film.

I don't quite see how people can honestly like this film. It was a painful shambles. The jokes were painful and the little kids in the cinema didn't enjoy all the stabbings.

4/10

PS: I am not saying films with long running times are bad. I am saying that the film didnt have enough content or storyline to fill the 3hr stint.

PPS: Having a PotC4 will just be embarassing.

There are those who call me...Tim.
I think I'm in the minority of internet users who actually really enjoyed Dead Man's Chest last year. It was different to the first but still loads of fun, and Davey Jones was a really interesting villain.

This year, I feel really let down. I remember being bored a lot, and some moments were just plain ridiculous. Skeleton Pirates and fish people are one thing, but when a 50 foot woman stands on the deck of a pirate ship roaring like ****ing Godzilla you have to stop and think to yourself, "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?!", or simply wonder if Keith Richards was the only person drunk during production.

It's sad. 4 years ago I remember sitting in front of the TV watching a cool trailer for a film I'd never heard of, showing a man walking toward camera saying "Ye'd best start believing in Ghost stories" etc, and then promptly heading off to the cinema as soon as I could to watch the most refreshing, original, and entertaining film I'd seen in so so long. Never before had I watched a film so enjoyable that it actually surpassed the trailer. All my troubles melted away for 2 hours and I felt like a kid again.

Like everyone else I couldn't get enough of Captain Jack, but I also loved seeing so much homegrown talent. Keira Knightley, Jack Davenport, McKenzie Crook, Jonathan Pryce...all people who's names I didn't know at the time but recognised them instantly, and seeing Orlando Bloom in something other than an elf costume knocked me sideways (did anyone else think his career was doomed after they first saw him in Fellowship?).

It was also the film that introduced me to Geoffrey Rush. Captain Barbossa, for me, was almost as enjoyable to watch as Sparrow, and that scene with him and Knightley at the dinner table still gives me the shivers. Now whenever I see a DVD with his name on the cover, or in the TV guides, I just can't stop myself.

...and yet 4 years later, here we are with a gritty, ridiculous, overcomplicated mess of a film, somehow written by the same guys who brought us Aladdin, Shrek, The Mask of Zorro, and of course, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Many characters who I instantly liked from the first film are dropped for no reason other than there being nothing left for them to do, or possibly to add drama (I'm guessing the former was the actual reason), other's like Davey Jones or Beckett simply don't get enough screentime.

Depp was as fine as ever, the action scenes were certainly far grander in scale than the previous films, and the CGI was stunning as usual. It's just, for every good moment this film had, there seemed to be at least 1 that fell flat.

This Summer has been such a let down so far, and I was hoping this would be the film to turn things around. Obviously not.

I feel all I can say in conclusion is... goodbye Pirates.

...Don't come back.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
i havent saw it yet but i already have the dvd copy of it. hehehhee me too im excited to watch it. i read some article lately and it talks about pirates of the caribbean that it was a box office in europe.

Really didn't rate Pirates, I thought the storylines were made to seem far more complex than they actually were and the only real saving grace was good ole Johnny....

I have watched the movie last week.. it was nice just like the other two, but I still prefer the 1st sequel.. and I think there will be a part 4