Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Rewatch of a lovely movie.

This was probably the most disappointing film in the MCU (thus far) for me.
I mean, when Thor: The Dark World came out, expectations for Marvel movies weren't that high yet and Iron Man 2 had already checked my expectations (another big disappointment, but hey, it confirmed The Avengers was coming!) so, as (rightly) maligned as it is, I wasn't that disappointed. Doctor Strange was too paint-by-numbers for me and that disappointed me to.
But none of them as much as this one.
When I heard they were making this, I was giddy. I grew up a huge Captain Marvel fan, he was one of the shortest list of the Marvel heroes I wanted to be.
When I heard they were going with the female version, I was totally on board as this is a character that was primed for that, and I had actually grown up a Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel fan from the comics as well (I was a comic-book kid in the late 70s and early 80s). I bought all the recent Captain Marvel collections to get caught up on what the Carol Danvers version of this character was about.
When I heard they had gotten some indie directors to do it, I was hopeful they would understand how to handle a cosmic property and that Feige would hold their hands through it. Hell, Taika rocked it.
When I heard they cast Brie Larson I was... ehhhh... I was thrilled they landed an Oscar-winning actress for the role, I really wasn't sure Brie was the right person for it.
The movie comes out and, let's face it, Brie is not the right person for this. Maybe it'll get better but she was miscast. The script is... really not great. Really. And I just don't think the directors were comfortable in this film. A lot of stuff doesn't really work and the movie almost comes off feeling more like it should have been a Disney+ release than a theatrical one.
It has some wonderful moments and some really great call-backs to the comics, including my favorite Nova moment, stolen for this character and film, but hey I was happy to see it on-screen and I like this character too, so, fine, but overall the movie has some really stupid **** in it, some of which irreparably damages the MCU (like Fury's eye).
Hopefully, they'll do better going forward, I hope they get someone else to direct CM2, for sure, though I know we'll see Carol in other Marvel crossovers before then.
Good write up. Who do you think would have made for a decent CM? I mean, I liked Larsen in Room and kind of crushed on her in 21 Jump Street but thought she wasn't all that good in Kong: Skull Island. Anyway, the reason I want to rewatch Dr. Strange and Black Panther is because I was also a little underwhelmed by the former and didn't get all the love and box office success of the latter. As for Endgame I only caught it the one time and that was on my laptop while it was still in theaters. I want to give it another go but on a bigger screen.

Rewatch of a lovely movie.
Damn, she was gorgeous. I dated a girl years ago that bore a striking resemblance to JL so she'll always be one of my favorite actresses.

Damn, she was gorgeous. I dated a girl years ago that bore a striking resemblance to JL so she'll always be one of my favorite actresses.
Yes, & she’s still handsome. You probably know she & Shepard were an item for many years.

I will add that The Ladies Man has one sequence so disarmingly beautiful that it feels like an outtake from The Red Shoes. But because it features Lewis doing his (silent) shtick, I also chuckled all the way through.
I'm drawing a blank here, are you referring to the spider-lady scene? I haven't seen The Red Shoes, but I assume you're not talking about Jerry's "ballet" performance.

I agree. I also grew up on Jerry Lewis films (we were probably watching the same channels at the same time from what our history talking sounds like) and despite the appeal to a young person of his comedy, Lewis really strikes me as kind of a piece of ****.
Yep. All the best movies were on Channel 26, am I right?

But yeah, I just want to repeat that I don't know of any specific wrongdoing on Lewis' part in terms of abuse or harassment, it's just that he comes across as an arrogant turd. I've rarely seen an interview with him that left me thinking "what an awesome dude". I think it's why I love King of Comedy so much. He's like Buddy Love again, but shown in a more negative light this time.

I'm drawing a blank here, are you referring to the spider-lady scene? I haven't seen The Red Shoes, but I assume you're not talking about Jerry's "ballet" performance.
Turns out I may have wildly misremembered the scene when I was posting last night, and I'd need to do a proper rewatch to confirm, but thinking this was the one.

*https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4suRfdbWU

Awesome! Warner/DC more of this, less of that (WW1984)

Turns out I may have wildly misremembered the scene when I was posting last night, and I'd need to do a proper rewatch to confirm, but thinking this was the one.

*https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua4suRfdbWU
Note to self: don't make highly suspect claims about the quality of a Jerry Lewis movie when you haven't seen it in years.

I watched Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla only a few months ago, so you can trust me on that one, folks.

Note to self: don't make highly suspect claims about the quality of a Jerry Lewis movie when you haven't seen it in years.

I watched Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla only a few months ago, so you can trust me on that one, folks.
Ok, just clarifying because there is an actual ballet performance in Ladies Man which is, of course, a disaster and not something one would refer to as "beautiful". The Miss Cartilage scene is a weird one that I used to skip when I was a kid but now I kind of dig how weird it is.

Yes, & she’s still handsome. You probably know she & Shepard were an item for many years.
Oh yes. Talk about the stuff of legends. Those two must have produced some beautiful children.

Awesome! Warner/DC more of this, less of that (WW1984)
I've never heard of this but that poster is awe inspiring. I wonder if that one guy is modeled on the great Jim Kelly. "Bullsh*t, Mr. Han Man!"

Oh yes. Talk about the stuff of legends. Those two must have produced some beautiful children.
They did have a couple.

Victim of The Night
Yep. All the best movies were on Channel 26, am I right?

But yeah, I just want to repeat that I don't know of any specific wrongdoing on Lewis' part in terms of abuse or harassment, it's just that he comes across as an arrogant turd. I've rarely seen an interview with him that left me thinking "what an awesome dude". I think it's why I love King of Comedy so much. He's like Buddy Love again, but shown in a more negative light this time.
All the best movies were on Channel 26.

Cathy's Curse (1977)

I decided to try if TubiTv works through VPN, and it does. And what better way to try than a campy B-horror that's bad enough to not be altogether bad. The story is incomprehensible, acting is weird (especially the father who looks like he's about to laugh any moment, or he's just high), and cinematography is outright inept. I guess the girl playing Cathy is the best performance in the film and she isn't exactly Tatum O'Neal either. And the absolutely weirdest thing is, that Omen IV feels almost like a ripoff (who in their right minds would like to ripoff Cathy's Curse). For some reason I thought this film had a reputation because it's good, but seems the reputation is due to badness.

Wait, who the hell said that?!!!

Also, I wonder if there was a more misogynistic time in American History than the 1950s and 1960s.
It's a quote attributed to Lewis on his Wikipedia page.

I always go back to that quote "When people talk about the good old days, ask yourself, who were they good for." Every time that icebreaker question pops up about "What past time period would you like to live in?" I'm like . . . . um . . . none of them?

I haven't seen The Red Shoes.
Shame! SHAME!

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Modern Times

4.5/5

Absolutely stunning film, smiled or laughed through its entirety. A true king of comedy!

Burden of Dreams

4/5

Truly breathtaking, the tenacity and vigor of Werner Herzog.