Last Night (1998)

→ in
Tools    

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Has anyone else seen this amazing piece of Canadian film? The plot centers around a group of six or so people, who are doing their own thing on their last six hours on earth (The earth is about to evaporate or something) If you haven't seen it I highly suggest it, it's quiet interesting, though some parts tend to drag on for just a bit more then they should. And as far as beefs go, the only thing I didnt like was how they didn't explain WHY the world was going to end.

I love Last Night. It was one of my very favorites movies of 1999 (which is when it played here in the Lower 48). Don McKellar is hysterical, and I hope he directs more films. He was also great on the Canadian TV series "Twitch City", as a screenwriter he's responsible for The Red Violin and 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, and as an actor he's also been in things like eXistenZ (Cronenberg was so great in front of the camera in Last Night), Exotica and Highway 61.

I'm glad Sandra Oh is getting noticed in the over-hyped and disappointingly-average Sideways, but if anyone wants to see a great performance from her don't dick around with "Arli$$" repeats on HBO; look no further than Last Night. Callum Keith Rennie is perfect too, and I've had a thing for Geneviève Bujold since seeing King of Hearts and Tightrope.

Last Night is THE best pre-Apocalyptic film ever made (Miracle Mile is good, but doesn't come close to the quality of this flick, and even Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice I'd put second to Last Night).

Childstar, co-starring Jennifer Jason Leigh, is McKellar's next feature. It has already debuted in Canadian film fests and such this year, but hasn't gotten a bigger release date. I love the guy and can hardly wait.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Very interesting film. I thought that leaving the end of the world unexplained worked perfectly. I don't always like McKellar's work, but he was good here, and Oh was great as always.

Not quite as good as I'd hoped (I was looking for this film for ages before I finally found it- these being the pre-ebay & lovefilm days), and personally I much prefer Miracle Mile. Last Night provides a nice contrast in that its characters have had time to resign themselves to the end, but the shock in Miracle Mile is palpable.

I'll have to check out The Sacrifice.