No Man's Sky

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I see that 970s are still going for £180. My 980ti has dropped by £250.

I think I'll keep hold of it for a while.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Yeah I ripped this off, but it made me smile so much.

Hopefully how tatters and the G child feel right now

there's a frog in my snake oil

Carl Sagan... Engage!

Originally Posted by DD
Hopefully how tatters and the G child feel right now
Oo, missed this. I'm still earthbound :/. Tatty's testing the space waters tonight on PS4 tho

Oh god, I'm watching 2 Twitchers at the same location fail to see eachother...

Must stop this

Played for an hour and a half last night and I really dunno - Something's either going to click with me or I'm going to find the gameplay loop incredibly boring.

The lack of inventory space (and I've got the pre-order ship with more slots) is a joke and there's that definite survival game busywork of watching tanks empty. You're basically a bar manager.

It's the reverse of what I find stultifying in Dragon Age Inquisition - In it you're constantly managing cooldown timers in battle, waiting for them to fill up. In NMS you're constantly looking at bars which are moving down.

I chose the story path as I think it's the only way I'll get even part way through this.

EDIT - And compared to Elite, the flying around and shooting is super basic.

Amongst all the raging publicity, this is pretty cute.

Kinda honest-leaning on gameplay content too (in a 'stoner's eye view' way).

True honesty would involve him swearing at a yellow rock while charging up the wrong bit of his kit

Now that I've got a few upgrades, the game's opening up. Not totally sucked in yet, but I'm a lot more open to the idea than I was last night.

Cool, sounds like they've wound the initial resource limits way too tight. (I mean, all survival games start with you smashing things with your fists, but they normally give you a pretty copious loincloth )

Stuff I've read from later gamers suggests much of the survival-bar management gets softened by upgrades, becoming more of a rock-paper-shotgun deal depending on environs. I'm just girding my loins to be menu-maligned if I start on an unwelcoming planet.

Sounds like space pew really lacks evasive techniques though, which could be poop. Shield-feeding on the fly sounds like potion-chugging cheating, with added menus. Hopefully the handbrake slide has some nuance and people just haven't clocked it yet.

Keep the star logs coming

I hear that other players in the game are not visible to you as a player? Is this true? It seems like a lot of the purpose for he game would be lost if that's how it is.

Cool, sounds like they've wound the initial resource limits way too tight. (I mean, all survival games start with you smashing things with your fists, but they normally give you a pretty copious loincloth )
The problem really is inventory space and the way that the game decides to start a new section for, say, Plutonium when the one beside it is half empty.

All in all, the story mode seems to be doing a good job of guiding me to the more interesting places although I've already visited a couple of planets and left straight away. The closer you get to the centre of the galaxy, the stranger (and more aggressive) things appear, apparently.

I hear that other players in the game are not visible to you as a player? Is this true? It seems like a lot of the purpose for he game would be lost if that's how it is.
The game's definitely primarily a single-player survivor/explorer, with some loose storylines, so not really. The purpose seems to be to survive, discover, and puzzle out the narratives.

They do say there are some easter-egg style aspects where you can see the influence of others in the universe, but they're bonuses, not lynchpins. Seems like first-day server load may be what screwed over those guys who met up.

The problem really is inventory space and the way that the game decides to start a new section for, say, Plutonium when the one beside it is half empty.

All in all, the story mode seems to be doing a good job of guiding me to the more interesting places although I've already visited a couple of planets and left straight away. The closer you get to the centre of the galaxy, the stranger (and more aggressive) things appear, apparently.
That storage issue seems buggy as. Definitely sounds annoying.

Cool, story strand does look like the way to go, seems to lead to key upgrades too. Not sure why anyone wouldn't, you can always freestyle when you fancy. (Supposedly there are 'three paths' in total to the centre, so seems there are alt storylines out there too).

I've played some other games previously where the person-to-person factor ends up squashing new players as cliques develop and you basically spend enormous amounts of time building things up, only to eventually be squashed by large mafia-like groups that had come to dominate whatever the game-space is prior to your arrival.

Maybe this formula is for the best? I'm sure its something they thought of prior to the game's release.

Would you say they've adopted a "Stat Trek" idea around that factor of the game, where (like the Borg) you're due to run into certain enemies and adversaries that are going to pose more of a challenge to you the further you get away from home?

Pretty early on in development, Sean Murray was pushing the 'this is a single player, offline' angle but as time went on, started to become a bit coy about the whole thing.

I don't think the game had the best marketing in the world but I don't know how much of that was down to Hello Games and how much was down to Sony.

Would you say they've adopted a "Stat Trek" idea around that factor of the game, where (like the Borg) you're due to run into certain enemies and adversaries that are going to pose more of a challenge to you the further you get away from home?
Yep, certainly. I've only done three warp jumps so far but each one has slightly ramped up the difficulty, whether it's from the drones or the wildlife being more aggressive.

Tatty, be wary when you sell your freebie ship. It seems activating it skips the tutorial that gives you the hyperdrive blueprint. Lot of players finding no other ships fitted with it as standard, so when they upgrade they find themselves marooned. Essentially you have to scavenge the blueprint up elsewhere.

WARNING: "DRAGONS WITH MICE FEET" spoilers below
You can find it in 'colonial outposts' apparently

---

Maybe this formula is for the best? I'm sure its something they thought of prior to the game's release.
Yeah I think the 'lonely wanderer' vibe is something they've really focused on. Plus having online as something more decorative than central helps their tiny dev team

Yeah, I found that out about 10 minutes after I'd exchanged my ship for the pre-order one.

Ordinarily I'd have kept the starter ship for a while but there's a 'redeem bonus items' pop-up on the screen which won't go away until you do something about it.

I've been doing some shooting! The third system's really harsh and I feel I'm under-levelled for it .... then I get attacked by pirates while fleeing the planet for the comparative refuge of the space station.

Death counter: 2

I'm ever-so-slowly upgrading my suit with more inventory space, one slot at a time, but really need a bigger ship now.

Ordinarily I'd have kept the starter ship for a while but there's a 'redeem bonus items' pop-up on the screen which won't go away until you do something about it.
I'm gonna try and hold out until I've built a drive, but yeah the prompt looks really distracting.

Good to hear there's some gun-n-run fun to be had

I wouldn't exactly call it 'fun'.

Ok, maybe my old aversion to first person shooting with a gamepad is coming to the fore but combat and flight feel really 'swimmy'.

Yep, certainly. I've only done three warp jumps so far but each one has slightly ramped up the difficulty, whether it's from the drones or the wildlife being more aggressive.
That is an awesome asset to the game.