.......7th's top 101.......

→ in
Tools    

nice thread..very interesting..i'll be visiting this one every day...

Hollywood Knights ~ 1980

Directed by: Floyd Mutrux

This is another film I cannot remember when I first watched it, but I definitely do remember watching it with my older brother Eddie. I can still see in my minds eye those breasts in the early scene. I am not sure if I had seen boobies on film before but I know that these were the first I can remember. I know it is a bit sad to admit this, but hey I was a very young teenager and the internet was not around, it was tough getting a hold of a magazine in those days. My brother corrupted me and I thanked him many times. Seriously though it was a fun film even sans boobies and bathroom humor.

Alright (now that I have embarrassed myself) anyone who has seen this film cannot forget Newbomb Turk played by Robert Wuhl of Arli$$ fame. It is the 60’s in Southern Cali’ and the local Drive in has one more night (Halloween Night to be exact) before it is demolished. One of the local gangs want to go out with a bang and a couple of goofy cops try to play tough. This movie was just plain fun and corny and cheesy and bad/good all rolled up in a teen-romp burrito. Tony Danza and Michelle Phifer are top billed, but I can seriously say I cannot recall much about their characters (othe than Michelle was very pretty). Sure most of us remember Porky’s and Caddyshack and Back to School, etc… However most (non-movie buffs so most of us here at MOFO do not apply) have never seen or remember this film. It is definitely an American Graffiti-rip-off-wannabe- without-even-trying kind of film. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys fast cars hot women and 80’s cheese.

Oh yeah....Does anyone know the lyrics to Lawrenc of Arabia? I cannot find them on lyrics.com.

Next: 95
The Virgin Spring (Jungfrukallan)~1960
Directed by: Ingmar Bergman

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I saw this film at the theatre and laughed my butt off. However, it grew back (just as small as before). I'm going to get this on my queue just to relive some old mammaries. So that means: great review.

I just wish they'd put Sweater Girls out on DVD.

Great thread 7thson... I wish I had your way with words...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am going to put a few place holders in for some movies on my list so I can go ahead and watch some films that I have on DVD/VCR, that way I can keep the list moving when I wait on a Netflix film or a local rental. So if you see a film witout a review: it is forthcoming.

Next: 95
The Virgin Spring (Jungfrukallan)~1960
Directed by: Ingmar Bergman

The first time I saw this film was only a couple of years ago I was awestruck at the cinematography by Sven Nykvist. As many of you know I am a big Max Von Sydow fan, his magic on the screen never ceases to amaze me. (Here is a link to a post I made about him). I remember watching him for the first time in the Exorcist, and I was immediately awed by his charisma. The only reason I ever watched this film was because of him, however, even though Max does an excellent job, it was the overall film that caused me to put this in my top movies.

This movie is one of the best black and white movies ever filmed. The close-ups and the shadows are used perfectly and the acting is truly amazing. It is at times a slow paced film, but that pacing draws the viewer in like a moth to a flame. I became a witness to the horrific rape and murder of a young virgin on her way to church to deliver candles. The beastly group that lured the trusting Karin (Birgitta Pettersson) to a secluded spot to defile and kill her made me sick to my stomach. The refreshing performance by Gunnel Lindblom as Ingeri (Karin’s half sister), who it seems has placed a curse on her half sister which instigates the whole affair, is so astonishing it made me feel her anguish and dislike for the position life has put her in. The violent scenes are mesmerizing and this is a wonderfully told revenge story. Certainly a movie that is not for the squeamish, but in the end it all feels right.

The Hidden ~ 1987
directed by: Jack Sholder

This is another film I missed in the theater, but it still left a lasting impression on me when I was younger. I first saw his at home with my brothers and we had no clue that we were even going to enjoy this film. We were stuck to our seats after the first scene and were amazed at what a fun exciting movie it turned out to be.

Definitely a bit cheesy, but is a great popcorn flick. It me reminds a bit of X-Files now. It has a plot that switches gears a bit but the switching is smooth and refreshing and damn exciting. Cops, Robbers, chases, mayhem, comedy, it is all here. If you have never seen this flick I suggest you take a look.

Stand by me is awesome, easily my favorite thing Stephen King has been involved with. Anyway, I'm just writing to say I'm really impressed with the task you've set yourself with this thread and how you've lived up to it so far. I find it daunting just to write a couple sentences on each of my favorite movies. Sad to say that I've never seen most of the ones listed so far (so I probably don't qualify as a well-rounded movie buff). I'll have to fix that.

Shoot to Kill ~ 1988
Directed by: Roger Spottiswoode

What an amazing film this was to me when I watched it with the family one evening. We all sat down to watch a football game (Steelers vs Cowboys and we were divided on who we wanted to win) and it was blacked out for goodness sake . I am now glad it was because I would never have seen this with the family otherwise. I did not ever watch this movie on the big screen, but sitting around the T.V. with so many of us together at the same time felt a bit like magic. Maybe it made the movie better for me than it really is, but after just recently viewing it I still enjoy the sarcasm the two main characters are dripping with.

Chasing after a kidnapper who has a taste for killing hostages even after getting what he wants big city FBI agent Stantin (Sidney Poitier) head for the wilderness near the Canadian border. Here he enlists the aid of a reluctant local guide (Tom Berenger) to help track down the killer who is part of a group of fishermen/tourists on a vacation. The killer in this film is kept a surprise (although if you listen to his voice early on you should guess who if you have seen him in other films) until almost halfway into the film. This creates somewhat of a guess who atmosphere, but it really is not a whodunit kind of film, that is just a little nice caveat. There are some wonderful scenes and two stick out in my mind. One where a soft-spoken, love struck character (Norman) played by Richard Masur and Kirstie Alley’s character (Sarah) discuss why he is on the trip. The scene is short, but the water spraying in the background and they way they look at each other is amazing. Also another scene with a bear is just downright comical. The scenery is amazing and the cast is wonderful in this chase film. If you like action and comedy mixed up a bit with a wonderful eclectic cast this is a perfect alchemic/cinematic concoction..

I haven't seen that movie in probably over 20 years, if I remember correctly I believe I went and saw this is the theater with my Dad. Are we getting to old to be sitting around this internet campfire reminiscing about movies or is this just what happens?

Bad Influence ~ 1990
directed by: Curtis Hansen

John and Rob shine in this film. I think it is the best of both. I remember watching this with a friend in the early 90’s. I was in the Army, and I was knee-deep in sand in Desert Storm. HBO and a sibling back home created the ability for me to watch this in a war zone. Yep, there I was in a tent in the cold at night desert and the ****ing hot as hell during sunlight desert ripping open a package from home. I was so happy to get something that made me a part of everyday America (a recent film) that I cried. Maybe that made this film better for me, or maybe it did not, but either way I loved this movie and when I shoved the tape into the cheap arse VCR player and black and white TV that was all connected to a diesel gasoline-generated electric byproduct the few of us lost in a foreign country connected with home, yes we did.

The movie itself is a nice mesh of sedcutivity and pschyo-sexual babble, that is tough to review without spoilers. All I can say is watch it, if you have not seen it, (watch it again even if you have) and let your imagination go..yep .

Quatre cents coups, Les (The Four Hundred Blows) ~ 1959
directed by: François Truffaut

waiting on netflix rental

Netflix keeps telling me long wait and never sends this. Oh well

Ghosts of Mars ~ 2001
directed by John Carpenter

I am a big John Carpenter fan and a couple more of his films are on my list. My first time seeing this was on DVD but I remember wanting to see it in the theaters. Carpenter eclectically puts together a hodgepodge of genres here and the score is even better than the film itself and actually without the music I probably would not have liked this film as much as I do. Gotta love Buckethead .

&feature=related

In the midst of terra-forming Mars an evil is released and bad guy James “Desolation” Williams (Ice Cube) is caught in the middle of the chaos along with tough cop Lt. Ballard (Natasha Henstridge). This is a rollercoaster of a film with dark humor, gore and lots of action. It is a bit cheesy, but for me the cheese works and combined with the score it titillates the senses. The movie never takes itself too seriously, but if it did I probably would not have enjoyed it as much. Natasha is very sexy and the gruff perverted Sgt Jericho (Jason Statham of transporter fame) never gives up on playing blanket bingo with Canadian star of Species. Great popcorn flick, which is one of my favorite kind of shows, and a must see for Sci-Fi/cheese.

The Long Goodbye ~ 1973
directed by: Robery Altman

I am a Gould fan to the core, unfortunately there are only but a handful of performances that are great. I am not sure what happened to Gould after the 70’s, but it was certainly his decade to shine. Capricorn One is the last film he was in where I really felt he was giving it his all. After the 70’s he has a few okay moments, mostly in voiceovers, but nothing like his stuff in the time of transitional film where hippies were giving birth to future capitalists.

Gould plays Philip Marlow in this wonderfully filmed piece by Robert Altman. It is hard for me to even watch Gould in a movie unless he has a cigarette hanging out of his mouth and the smoke he exhales is second in thickness only to the sarcasm that he spews forth. His voice is notable and his wit is, well, witty. Some of the scenes are a bit over the top, the bottle scene for example, but they play right into a movie that hinges so much on the characters that one does not really care where the plot is going. It has a wonderfully exciting (for me anyway) ending and is a great movie that Gould carries on his shoulders.

A very engaging opening scene in this film: