Movie of the Month - July 2016: True Stories (1986)

Tools    

Movie of the Month:

True Stories (1986)

I haven't seen this film in at least 15 years. Growing up, my parents would watch it and quote it all the time, but it's not really a movie for the 10 year old mind. Or maybe it is!

I'm very curious to see if I'll like it or not.

Also none of the movies that were candidates for me were free streaming anywhere, I apologize.

Here are the places you can find it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've never seen True Stories, but from what I've heard about it, it never sounded like my kind of movie, (or music). But I'll give it a try with an open mind, and hopefully I'll like it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I originally saw it at the theatre 30 years ago, and I've seen it a few times since. To me it feels like an absurdist Texas version of Our Town. It definitely has an offbeat sense of humor, and Talking Heads frontman David Byrne is amazingly deadpan as the wide-eyed narrator. The music is by Byrne and the Heads, but in the film it's usually performed by the characters, so don't expect a recreation of the album. John Goodman is especially likable as a love-starved everyday guy, and he basically gets to sing his theme song. The use of long takes and rear-screen projection adds a visual consistency to the proceedings. I guess how much you enjoy it depends on how much you like the quirkiness.

I just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this, but I've been having a hard time finding the movie. I can't stream any movies right now because of some MAJOR power problems we're having here, so I've been trying to find it on DVD, (but hopefully cheap). Apparently the DVD is out of print, so it's hard to find.

I checked the libraries in my county and in my in-laws' county, (one county over), but neither library has it anywhere in their systems.

I tried several used DVD stores in the area, but nobody has it, and the cheapest price they've offered to get it for is $16.99 for a used DVD.

I was at a large flea market last weekend, and there were a lot of DVD vendors, but nobody had it.

But I haven't given up. I'm still trying to find this movie on DVD.

Yeah, it's not hard to find streaming, but other than that, tougher. Netflix has it (the disc).

Anyway, watching this soon and hopefully recording the podcast on Saturday.

If you are willing to pay for it, you could always buy it off Youtube -

Not sure what it is like as i've never bought anything off Youtube, just a suggestion.

Yeah, it's not hard to find streaming, but other than that, tougher. Netflix has it (the disc).

Anyway, watching this soon and hopefully recording the podcast on Saturday.
My Mom has a Netflix account, but I think it's streaming only, not DVDs.

If you are willing to pay for it, you could always buy it off Youtube -

Not sure what it is like as i've never bought anything off Youtube, just a suggestion.
I don't mind paying a reasonable price for it, but I can't stream anything that long right now. We had an underground explosion in a manhole here about a month ago, and the power company has the whole co-op on temporary power lines to a large generator. We keep getting power surges, and my computer sometimes reboots itself with no warning. (The lights are so dim at times that I've been walking around with a flashlight at night, and the fans are spinning so slowly that I can practically see the blades spinning. )

Oh, damn. Sorry gbg. Hope everything gets back to normal soon.

Thanks. The only thing the co-op office keeps telling us is that they're working on it, but they don't know when it will be fixed.

Few more days! It's been a busier week than I expected and editing is always weirdly exhausting. Gonna try to edit a lot less this time, so apologies if it's not as smooth.