The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

Also, Keyser gave me permission to host the Group Watch thread for this countdown. I'll put it up once I get back from work this evening.

to any war and peace heads out to there, lemme know which chapter is your favorite *wink wink*. personally i like the second the best but there’s hardly any war in it, so i might go with the first.

(i also think it makes more sense to just count them as one entry but i will abide by the rules)
criticker

The three films can be listed separately, and not as a whole. The same goes for the four War and Peace movies, since some of us have only seen parts and may not be able to see the rest.
to any war and peace heads out to there, lemme know which chapter is your favorite *wink wink*. personally i like the second the best but there’s hardly any war in it, so i might go with the first.

(i also think it makes more sense to just count them as one entry but i will abide by the rules)
Are you guys talking about War and Peace that IMDb lists as 1965? I thought that was considered 1 film.

Are you guys talking about War and Peace that IMDb lists as 1965? I thought that was considered 1 film.

Imdb isn't always correct about these things. The truth is that only the first two parts were finished in 1965 and premiered in a festival before the release, and the other two parts were released in 1967. I might have forgiven it if the parts weren't released in separate years. It's a bit unfair to call it a '65 movie if only half of it was finished. Besides, most people won't have time for a ten hour movie, anyway, and I'm certainly not forcing that on them.

Imdb isn't always correct about these things. The truth is that only the first two parts were finished in 1965 and premiered in a festival before the release, and the other two parts were released in 1967. I might have forgiven it if the parts weren't released in separate years. It's a bit unfair to call it a '65 movie if only half of it was finished. Besides, most people won't have time for a ten hour movie, anyway, and I'm certainly not forcing that on them.
To be fair, the same applies for It's Such a Beautiful Day from the 2010s countdown, and it was accepted as one entry for that list.

To be fair, the same applies for It's Such a Beautiful Day from the 2010s countdown, and it was accepted as one entry for that list.
I don't remember the film being directed in parts. If you mean combining the short and the feature, the entry on the list states that the film is 2012, not the 2011 short. And if others treated it that wayy, I wasn't aware.

EDIT: So that was released in parts. However, the problem here is that we're comparing an hour-long movie to one that's way too long for new users who may wanna partake in this once they have the ability. It's basically asking too much of them at this point.

I know the War and Peace films are typically released as one dvd set. However, many won't be able to find the DVD, and the parts are already online in separate entries. If you have time for all of them, great. If you don't, then don't be shy about including the parts you have seen. But I won't allow separate entries for the whole film and the separate parts, so it's best to pick the most convenient one. I trust all users here will be able to pick their favorite part of the series.

Besides, I really wasn't fond of how the whole series was listed as one entry on a MoFo list already when I've only seen the first part, and I had plenty of other movies that I needed to watch over the course of the time I watched it and now. In fact, it even felt like I got ripped off. Sorry, but if the different parts have different release years, I'm going to count them as different movies.

Yea I trust what you say, was just making sure we were talking about the same film.

I would count War and Peace as a single film

I'm sure many would. However, there are many who wouldn't. And I need to think of the effect that this will have on new users when it appears on the top 100 countdown, aside from logistically being different by the historical merit of separate release dates, as well as being counted as a series as much as a singular release on various websites, even sometimes both at once (ridiculous).

Now Shoah is eligible due to Imdb, as well as Napoleon, and both were originally released in one part. It's one thing for a single overlong movie to appear on the list on top of a five-hour one. But if I also include War and Peace, some will want The Human Condition listed because "the experience isn't the same unless you do it all at once." But time wise, it's impractical. Many won't be able to watch the whole series. If I love the series, I'd rather someone watches at least one part if possible than none of it. If there are three eight-to-ten hour movies on that list, new users will be drawn away from completing that list. I'm not looking forward to the first list I curate having that effect, especially since I personally love this genre that much.

I understand that this may upset some. But I need to go over the logical points rather than a purely emotional experience which is subjective despite its commonness among moviegoers. I've thought about this for months in the event that my volunteering from so long ago is granted, and I've considered both options. But my result is final, and I'm humbly asking the community to see the good in this:

A. Multiple parts calls for a lot of discussion, which I want to emphasize considering that I personally loved the novel back when I read it.

B. If new users see more than one War and Peace or more than one Human Condition, they'll be more drawn to watch a whole series of good movies. Let's be honest: sequelitis is a problem in the movie industry, and for two series not to have it will send good signals.

I feel more people will be drawn to watch those movies if they are treated as a series. So I do apologize if this is uncomfortable to some, but I am personally looking forward to the discussions of the movie series itself, especially since I may not have time to finish the series before the countdown begins but I've experienced the story anyway and loved it.

Welcome to the human race...
I think the fact that The Human Condition I made the 1950s countdown while III made the 1960s countdown should confirm that they must be treated as separate films.

Here is a list of some of the War Films that have appeared on previous MoFo Lists...

The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Battleship Potemkin (1925)
Wings (1927)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Hell’s Angels (1930)
Duck Soup (1933)
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933)
The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)
Grand Illusion (1937)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Great Dictator (1940)
Waterloo Bridge (1940)
Sergeant York (1941)
Casablanca (1942)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
Lifeboat (1944)
Rome, Open City (1945)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The African Queen (1951)
From Here to Eternity (1953)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Caine Mutiny (1954)
Night & Fog (1956)
A Man Escaped (1956)
The Cranes are Flying (1957)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Human Condition: No Greater Love (1959)
Spartacus (1960)
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
The Human Condition: A Soldier’s Prayer (1961)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Fail Safe (1964)
The Battle of Algiers (1966)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Army of Shadows (1969)
MASH (1970)
Cabaret (1972)
The Ascent (1977)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Das Boot (1981)
RAN (1985)
Come and See (1985)
Shoah (1985)
Platoon (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Au Revoir les Enfants (1987)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Glory (1989)
Europa Europa (1990)
Schindler’s List (1993)
Braveheart (1995)
Life is Beautiful (1997)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
The Pianist (2002)
Downfall (2004)
Waltz with Bashir (2007)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Inglorious Basterds (2009)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Jojo Rabbit (2019)
1917 (2019)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Here is a list of some of the War Films that have appeared on previous MoFo Lists...

The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Battleship Potemkin (1925)
Wings (1927)
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Hell’s Angels (1930)
Duck Soup (1933)
The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933)
The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)
Grand Illusion (1937)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
The Great Dictator (1940)
Waterloo Bridge (1940)
Sergeant York (1941)
Casablanca (1942)
The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)
Lifeboat (1944)
Rome, Open City (1945)
A Matter of Life and Death (1946)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Sands of Iwo Jima (1949)
The African Queen (1951)
From Here to Eternity (1953)
Stalag 17 (1953)
The Caine Mutiny (1954)
Night & Fog (1956)
A Man Escaped (1956)
The Cranes are Flying (1957)
The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Paths of Glory (1957)
The Human Condition: No Greater Love (1959)
Spartacus (1960)
Judgment at Nuremberg (1961)
The Human Condition: A Soldier’s Prayer (1961)
Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
The Great Escape (1963)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Fail Safe (1964)
The Battle of Algiers (1966)
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Army of Shadows (1969)
MASH (1970)
Cabaret (1972)
The Ascent (1977)
The Deer Hunter (1978)
Apocalypse Now (1979)
Das Boot (1981)
RAN (1985)
Come and See (1985)
Shoah (1985)
Platoon (1986)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Au Revoir les Enfants (1987)
Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Glory (1989)
Europa Europa (1990)
Schindler’s List (1993)
Braveheart (1995)
Life is Beautiful (1997)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
The Pianist (2002)
Downfall (2004)
Waltz with Bashir (2007)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Inglorious Basterds (2009)
Zero Dark Thirty (2012)
Jojo Rabbit (2019)
1917 (2019)
Special thanks for putting this together, Holden!

Who here will be participating in the group watch? I won't be able to since I'm also working on personal crap outside MoFo.

Who here will be participating in the group watch? I won't be able to since I'm also working on personal crap outside MoFo.
I will be participating in the group watch.