The 2022 MoFo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Watched it waiting for something to happen the entire time...sat there for ten minutes after it ended...cried like a baby.
Right there with you!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Watched it waiting for something to happen the entire time...sat there for ten minutes after it ended...cried like a baby.

That was almost exactly my experience too.

Are we counting Apollo 10˝ as an animated film? I think the Academy deemed it ineligible due to their ruling about rotoscoped films, but we don't have to play by their rules.
I fully support including rotoscoped films in the animation category.

It is literally an animation technique, so I'm not sure what the Academy's problem is. So what if a lot of it is traced? Someone still had to draw and animate it.

The Academy came around on this, too.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/11/acad...-eligible.html

The trick is not minding
I still haven't watched a single animated film for this. What are everyone's favourites? I'll probably check out Mad God, but I don't have any others on my watchlist.
While I haven’t watched any of them yet, the three I hear most often are Pinocchio (available on Netflix) and Marcel the Shell with Shoes on along with Turning Red.
It was a mostly forgettable year for animation it seemed, in a year that includes The Badguys and Lightyear.

The trick is not minding
I don't have Netflix any more, but I assume this is Guillermo del Toro's version, and not that other one?
Correct. Although, if you have Amazon Prime, there is also an Italian version from a few years ago also available.
I plan on watching both and comparing

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Where I am:

Movies watched 21 (17 of 2022 + 4 of late 2021 that are eligible here).
Out of these, I consider 11 to source my nominations from. The other films I've seen are meh, unfortunately.
Hope, in a couple of weeks to add at least couple more decent movies that is worth to nominate somewhere.

Also, since it is a private type game, which is the right approach, I'm not sure if it is OK to heavily recommend movies which is kind of reveal what are your favorites you gonna probably vote for. Right?

I'm not sure if it is OK to heavily recommend movies which is kind of reveal what are your favorites you gonna probably vote for. Right?
Feel free to petition for your favourite films, especially if they're lesser seen gems!

You don't need to be too coy with what you're going to nominate. Just don't go so far as to post your actual ballot in the thread.

For reference:

A totally fine post:
Violent Night and The Menu are my favourite films of the year. They're at the top of my list so far.
This is also completely acceptable:
You guys can't stop me from voting for Violent Night in all the relevant categories.
However please don't post:
This is my final ballot:

Best Film of The Year
1. Violent Night
2. The Menu

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I still haven't watched a single animated film for this. What are everyone's favourites? I'll probably check out Mad God, but I don't have any others on my watchlist.

I haven't seen a lot of 2022 animated movies, but these are the ones I've seen that I liked:

Apollo 10˝: A Space Age Childhood
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers (This is live-action/animated)
DC League of Super-Pets
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Minions: The Rise of Gru
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (This is live-action/animated)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Oh, I've seen one then. I forgot Sonic 2 was last year. It just feels so long ago now haha.

I watched Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when both Sonic movies aired on one of the cable movie channels. I didn't even realize that it was a 2022 movie at the time I watched it.

Welcome to the human race...
I have to wonder about how eligible a film that's a mix of live-action and animation would have to be. I know Marcel the Shell was nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars, but something like Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has greater emphasis on its live-action elements that I think deems it ineligible (and where does it end, with us nominating Avatar: The Way of Water?)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has greater emphasis on its live-action elements that I think deems it ineligible (and where does it end, with us nominating Avatar: The Way of Water?)
I wouldn't personally have considered the Sonic films animation, but I'm also not going to stop anyone who wants to nominate Sonic 2, or any other similar "mixed medium" film in that category. If not enough people think it qualifies, it won't make the ballot anyway (unless very few people actually submit a list)

I also completely forgot about Avatar. Now that you bring it up, I guess the process isn't entirely dissimilar to rotoscoping though. I've always seen that type of CGI as being the film equivalence of a video game cutscene, and I'm not sure how to classify that.

Actually, I completely forgot that Avatar was also a mix of live-action and CGI until I was asking my room mate what his opinion on it was. I had completely forgotten about the human characters haha. I haven't seen the new one, and don't particularly care to, but I assume it also has real actors on screen as well.

So it's really in the same boat as Sonic. I've never known how to classify films that are primarily live-action, but heavily feature animated characters, so those of you who know and care more about animation are welcome to decide for yourselves. I'm fine with whatever the majority agrees to.

Haven't seen a lot of movies but have seen enough to make a decent ballot. The category I'm having the hardest time figuring out is the Most Memorable Scene of the Year**

It's a scene from RRR, for sure, but which one?There's like 10 to choose from. It has more memorable scenes than any movie I've seen in years.

It's a scene from RRR, for sure, but which one?There's like 10 to choose from. It has more memorable scenes than any movie I've seen in years.
I feel you! On MM's letterboxd review I jokingly said I was going to nominate the entirety of RRR as the most memorable scene.

If I wasn't the host I would actually have submitted that as a laugh...but I would've immediately followed it up with my actual choices for the category, of course haha.