Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio

Tools    

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
Del Toro along with Mark Gustafson(Animation director for Fantastic Mr. Fox)
will be directing a darker and more "intense" version of Pinocchio apparantly.

Here's some concept art:

Gotta disagree. This isn't some story that's been done and redone over and over even recently, nor is del Toro the kind of guy to remake a classic tale without adding enough to it to make a remake worthwhile. I'm totally on board.

Doesn't mean it won't suck, mind you; I'm kind of burnt out on the "let's take a cute story and make it all dark and Burton-y!" stuff. But Guillermo (I feel we're on a first name basis) has earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
but why oh why do we have to have a dark tale to every great Disney movie ever made? I think this could be good, I just wish it could be something on its own, y'know?

I sympathize, but that's effectively pushing del Toro for all the silly crap Tim Burton and others have been doing. I get it, but we're talking about a higher caliber of filmmaker here.

but why oh why do we have to have a dark tale to every great Disney movie ever made? I think this could be good, I just wish it could be something on its own, y'know?
Remember that awful Benigni movie?

I would take this

a darker and more "intense" version of Pinocchio
directed by Del Toro

over that anyday.

I mostly interested in this because Tom Waits is being considered to play in it.. haha.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Pinocchio is a dark tale, as Wintertriangles pointed out. Disney lightened it up a whole bunch. I think Del Toro will tell it as it is meant to be told. I like the Disney version, but this will be something entirely different.

I read Pinocchio as a kid and I love the story. I am as probably as excited for this as I have ever been for any movie.

Ron Perlman is on board to voice.

And apparently Nick Cave will be taking over the music! Which means this could possibly be the greatest movie in existence.

Update as of 10/22/2018 at 11:03am

What is Guillermo del Toro’s next film? We now have an answer.

“Pinocchio” has long been one of the director’s unrealized passion projects, but that’s about to change thanks to Netflix. The streaming giant has officially greenlit the del Toro’s adaptation of the classic children’s story about a puppet who dreams to be a real live boy. The “Shape of Water” helmer is set to direct, write, and produce the movie, which is a stop-motion musical set in Italy during the 1930s.

“No art form has influenced my life and my work more than animation and no single character in history has had as deep of a personal connection to me as Pinocchio,” del Toro said in a statement. “In our story, Pinocchio is an innocent soul with an uncaring father who gets lost in a world he cannot comprehend. He embarks on an extraordinary journey that leaves him with a deep understanding of his father and the real world. I’ve wanted to make this movie for as long as I can remember.”

Del Toro is set to collaborate with the Jim Henson Company and ShadowMachine, the company behind “Bojack Horseman,” on the upcoming adaptation. Patrick McHale will co-write the script with del Toro, while “Fantastic Mr. Fox” animation director Mark Gustafson will co-direct. Del Toro is also working with “Corpse Bride” puppeteers Mackinnon and Saunders.

“We are incredibly excited to expand our relationship with Guillermo and we know that his deeply touching vision for bringing Pinocchio to life on Netflix will be embraced by audiences the world over,” added Melissa Cobb, vice president of Kids and Family at Netflix.

“Pinocchio” will be the next partnership between Netflix and del Toro, who previously worked together on the Emmy-winning television series “Trollhunters.” Del Toro’s next animated series, “3Below,” is debuting on the streaming giant in December, and he already is behind the Netflix horror anthology series, “Guillermo del Toro Presents 10 After Midnight.”

Del Toro is the latest high profile auteur to head to Netflix with a new directorial feature. The director’s good friend Alfonso Cuaron has the Netflix-backed “Roma” opening in December, while Martin Scorsese’s “The Irishman” is coming to Netflix sometime in 2019. Production on “Pinocchio” is set to begin this fall.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
GUILLERMO DEL TORO’S PINOCCHIO Teaser Trailer (2022) Ewan McGregor, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett 2022
As a huge fan of the original Pinocchio, I'm expecting extreme disappointment here.

As a huge fan of the original Pinocchio, I'm expecting extreme disappointment here.
I hear that, my extreme disappointment expectancy rate with most re-boots, re-makes etc. is 98%.. It almost never happens that I say to myself 'oh that could work' beforehand, especially when it comes to personal favorites.

I hear that, my extreme disappointment expectancy rate with most re-boots, re-makes etc. is 98%.. It almost never happens that I say to myself 'oh that could work' beforehand, especially when it comes to personal favorites.
so this one is a remake of the first original pinocchio from 1940?