The PBS thread

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Many years ago, we got a PBS channel from Scranton, PA through our cable TV service, and they were showing the original Star Trek series, back before any other channels aired it, (at least in our area). My mother was so happy to watch Star Trek again that she pledged money to them.

When the PBS station ran their pledge drive during Star Trek, they advertised the episodes as "uncut and uninterrupted". But my mother told me that the episodes were missing scenes. She described the scenes that weren't in the episodes that we were watching.

We contacted the PBS station about the missing scenes, and they explained that they didn't cut the episodes, but they might have received copies that were already cut. They explained that some stations cut the episodes for time so they can show more commercials, but they're supposed to put the cut footage back before they send them back, but whoever had their copies previously must have forgotten, (or neglected), to put the footage back.

My mother told them that it was false advertising, and she only pledged money because of Star Trek. After that, they changed their wording during the pledge drives to say "We don't cut them, and there are no commercial interruptions".

Sure enough, when I saw those Star Trek episodes years later, I found out that she was right. Those scenes were in there, just like she described them.

Star Trek airs on MeTV Saturday night and I'm noticing some scenes are cut. It's crazy.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
PBS (Public Broadcasting System) was my first favorite channel on tv. For my generation it was for most of us. Thats the channel Sesame Street was on! Also the Electric Company and Romper Room which Im pretty sure no longer air.
I remember those shows. I also watched those and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, Captain Kangaroo and New Zoo Revue.

I've lived in the West all my life but I do remember it was some obscure cable channel. And I definitely remember Siskel & Ebert being syndicated. Until I remember them being on PBS. Stupid brain.

Right now binge watching the series based off the James Herriot novels "All Creatures Great and Small". Very quaint I wish my Mom was still alive to enjoy this, and wish I knew how many good programs were available from here when she was alive. Always was a bit of a struggle to find something good and wholesome at the same time.

Are those the original 70's BBC version or the new 5 version @TONGO? The new version has been well reviewed but the first is/was considered a classic.

Are those the original 70's BBC version or the new 5 version @TONGO? The new version has been well reviewed but the first is/was considered a classic.
This is the new version, but yeah I remember the classics and they were just that. Thankfully I was little when they came out so many of the storylines Ive forgot.

A very loose tie to PBS is this video, but why not lol!

Finished watching the new All Creatures Great and Small series. Think I'll dive into World on Fire next.

One thing you can say about PBS dramas or comedies or dramadies the acting is much better than what we find on American made ones. The Brits' are simply better at acting and music than we are, and always have been.

One thing you can say about PBS dramas or comedies or dramadies the acting is much better than what we find on American made ones. The Brits' are simply better at acting and music than we are, and always have been.
Brits are better period.