Tools    

Anyone watching this series? I've watched the first 3 episodes, and the show keeps getting better. This is some of Sam Elliot's finest work. There's a great cameo from Billy Bob Thornton as a marshal, and a brief cameo by Tom Hanks as a Union officer.

There are a couple of small things that detract from the representation of the 1880s era which is otherwise pretty faithfully done by several production designers/managers.

But overall it's proving to be a very nicely done large scale epic story as a prequel to the popular Yellowstone series, showing how a large group migrated from Texas to Montana under hardship conditions which establishes the story of Yellowstone.

This one will win some awards.

You ready? You look ready.
I just finished episode 3. Damn good television. Feels like I’m back in the third grade playing the Oregon Trail and just shaking my head when someone dies of something stupid.

Oh silly Steve, he was so funny till the wagon ran over him.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
We talkin’ bout’ dat’ show were’um Tom McGraw shoots people all over town?

Well, the 4th episode was pretty much a dud. Either Sheridan's writing hit a hiccup, or Christina Voros' directing was haphazard.

The idea of the crossing challenge was interesting and practical, but the filming was full of holes. They alternately showed a shallow stream to cross, at other times a deep river. The viewer is left with contrasting queries: "Why can't they cross this shallow water"; and, "This river is too deep to cross here." The water was too shallow for anyone to drown in.

Also the emphasis on Isabel May as the daughter, Elsa Dutton, highlights her miscasting. She's too pretty and 21st Century looking to play a late 19th Century pioneer, especially so in an otherwise well cast crew. They're hedging their bets. She's portrayed as a sensitive artistic girl, but also a tough one who wants to be a cowboy. How modern!

Hopefully they'll get back on track in the next episodes.

Well, the 4th episode was pretty much a dud. Either Sheridan's writing hit a hiccup, or Christina Voros' directing was haphazard.

The idea of the crossing challenge was interesting and practical, but the filming was full of holes. They alternately showed a shallow stream to cross, at other times a deep river. The viewer is left with contrasting queries: "Why can't they cross this shallow water"; and, "This river is too deep to cross here." The water was too shallow for anyone to drown in.

Also the emphasis on Isabel May as the daughter, Elsa Dutton, highlights her miscasting. She's too pretty and 21st Century looking to play a late 19th Century pioneer, especially so in an otherwise well cast crew. They're hedging their bets. She's portrayed as a sensitive artistic girl, but also a tough one who wants to be a cowboy. How modern!

Hopefully they'll get back on track in the next episodes.
Just finally started watching this, agreed on May being miscast.

I don’t seem to entirely get the premise. Is there an obvious reason the German immigrants are travelling with the Duttons other than ‘people help each other’, that seems like a rather weak motive? I don’t seem to see why the Germans in particular are so hellbent on getting to Oregon.
Overall I just don’t seem to dig this, sadly. Hugely disappointed, but alas. Agree that there’s far too much emphasis on Elsa and her whole side plot reminds me of the worst kind of Jane Austen novels. *shudder*

A system of cells interlinked
This is easy head and shoulders better than Yellowstone, IMO. That said, I like Yellowstone, which has managed to improve as it goes along. Still, the fact that I am not constantly hammered with terrible country music is reason enough for me to like this show more.

As for the Germans, they aren't traveling with the Duttons per se. As in, they didn't look up the Duttons and ask to travel with them/protect them. They hired Sam Elliot's character, who in turn recruited the cowboys and asked James Dutton to travel along with them and help if he could, since they were both heading that way. James sort of went along with it begrudgingly, but has, made it clear that he doesn't answer to Shea, and that he will not put any other travelers over his family - They are basically heading in the same direction, and James just puts up with Shea's requests for now.

As for why the German's want to go to Oregon: Why did any of the pioneers want to go to Oregon, or anywhere West of the frontier for that matter?

Elsa: I agree that she is somewhat anachronistic. Then again, the entire cast as a whole all have super nice teeth etc. - I think that is just something we have to put up with with these period pieces these days - most of the actors are going to be too pretty and in too good of health. This actress also looks a hell of a lot like Jennifer Lawrence, which I also find distracting. Still, I am a sucker for coming of age stuff, so I enjoy her character for that it is.

I see Doc's point about episode 4. I found it odd that some of the Germans were having such a harsh reaction to holding on to a rope and walking across a river. If just a kid or two had been swept away, I could have bought it, but gown adults freaking the F out and drowning and almost pulling others under was a bit if a stretch. I guess we just have to buy the whole panic got the best of them excuse here. Sheridan seems to really go for these over-the-top thrilling scenes in his shows, and sometimes, they aren't very well thought out.

Alas: Great show overall! Love the era, and the production values are excellent. I like the cast for the most part, too.

As for why the German's want to go to Oregon: Why did any of the pioneers want to go to Oregon, or anywhere West of the frontier for that matter?
Free land. They spent all their money getting to America to find out it wasn't much different from home, but if you were willing to head west you could stake a claim on land.

It's important to note that the Dutton's land probably cost them next to nothing. Greatest source of generational wealth in American history was passed out for free like fresh hotcakes. Oh to go back and have my great, great, great grandmother die of dysentery so I could be a Twitch streamer with cashmere socks.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Free land. They spent all their money getting to America to find out it wasn't much different from home, but if you were willing to head west you could stake a claim on land.

It's important to note that the Dutton's land probably cost them next to nothing. Greatest source of generational wealth in American history was passed out for free like fresh hotcakes. Oh to go back and have my great, great, great grandmother die of dysentery so I could be a Twitch streamer with cashmere socks.
We have a winner! Exactly.

We have a winner! Exactly.
Pretty sure they are still giving out free land. How do you feel about Alaska? I hear the mosquitos aren't THAT big.

EDIT: Just checked...no vacancies. Drat!

Pretty sure they are still giving out free land. How do you feel about Alaska? I hear the mosquitos aren't THAT big.

EDIT: Just checked...no vacancies. Drat!
Ah yes, I need to move to where it is even colder, and there is even more snow!

Hells naw!