Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Just finished watching the Oscar nominated film, Women Talking. Masterfully directed by Sarah Polley, the film has a wonderful ensemble cast including Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Frances MacDormand, and Ben Whishaw. This is a very well written and intelligent film, compelling and thought provoking. The performances are fantastic by the entire cast. This film deserved more Oscar nominations than just the two it got and should have been nominated for best director and at least one of the actors, if not more, should have been nominated. For me, this is the second best film of last year. Highly recommended.

Just finished watching the Oscar nominated film, Women Talking. Masterfully directed by Sarah Polley, the film has a wonderful ensemble cast including Rooney Mara, Claire Foy, Jessie Buckley, Frances MacDormand, and Ben Whishaw. This is a very well written and intelligent film, compelling and thought provoking. The performances are fantastic by the entire cast. This film deserved more Oscar nominations than just the two it got and should have been nominated for best director and at least one of the actors, if not more, should have been nominated. For me, this is the second best film of last year. Highly recommended.
So looking forward to streaming this one day.

What is your best film of last year?

Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy (2021, Ryusuke Hamaguchi)

This consists of three separate short stories, each centered around some sort of twist of fate—a coincidence, a fatal mistake, a misunderstanding. I think the second story was my favorite but they're all quite enjoyable, and thought-provoking. And again, I found that it reminded me of Rohmer (the Six Moral Tales?): the deceptive simplicity, the nuance, the breezy, romantic tone, with some eroticism thrown in. Just a beautiful viewing experience.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
White Noise (2022) DNF

Guess they were right, can’t make a movie out of this book.

Infinity Pool (2023)

Brandon Cronenberg's follow up to Possessor is even more wild, and he is now a must see filmmaker for me. Unsurprisingly it's a surreal horror/sci-fi that looks great. It's a freaky story that lost me at times but is compelling nonetheless. Alexander Skarsgard and Mia Goth are both very good.

Re-watch of a terrific movie. Gonna re-watch the other two installments now.

Why the heck did I previously bail out of this very good movie?
Love that you gave Three Billboards a second chance...it is a great movie.

THE IMITATION GAME
(2014, Tyldum)

"Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine."

The above quote anchors the life of Alan Turing, as told by The Imitation Game. The quote makes a reference as to how people that are underestimated are sometimes the ones that end up doing really great things. However, it seems that the film takes some, uhh, liberties in portraying how "underestimated" Turing was at the time, and that's just one of the many liberties the film takes.

The main focus of the story is on Turing's work on cracking the Nazi's Enigma code. Turing, who is portrayed as socially awkward, somewhat egocentric, and disliked by most people, is assigned to work with a team under the strict supervision of Commander Denniston (Charles Dance). At first, Turing and his work are dismissed and rejected by everyone around him, which goes back to the above quote, and how he eventually ends up cracking the code.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Low Country - The Murdaugh Dynasty
I ignored this case, until I saw this on CNN (3-part series) and was captivated, much like I was with "The Keepers", even though I never watch this stuff... There's also video of the interview, interrogation, phone calls on YouTube. I don't like to make snap judgement, but I'm almost sure Alex is guilty of killing his wife and son. No idea why, but the opiate use seemed like a ploy for leniency, and to stay in a rehab center, which has to be better than jail. Maybe thinking he would buy time until his lawyers got him out. He's a lawyer, too, and it looks like "the good ol' boy" (thuggery) went too far. I don't know about the young man killed in 2015 - seems like it could be gossip.
It's a good one. I watched the first two eps last night, and will finish tonight. Crazy story, but it's a well done documentary.

Truthfully I'd rather see a well made documentary than a move.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards / 2021 Movie Poster Gallery / Mass Poster, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66556146

Mass - (2021)

School shootings. I remember a time when that wasn't even a thing, except for a Stephen King short story. Well, I came across this related title by accident and noticed that the ratings for it everywhere were through the roof. It wasn't discussed a lot year before last (or at least, I managed to miss reading about it), when it came out, and received no Oscar nominations - after the film ended all I could think of was Ann Dowd, and I was really surprised she didn't get one (she was nominated for a BAFTA for her role in this though.) Anyway, what is it about really, and is it any good? It's four people (two couples) meeting for the first time after a school shooting - one couple's son was murdered, and the other couple's son was the murderer. As you can imagine, it's an emotional rollercoaster - but it's not overdone, and it's down to earth and genuine. It explores a person's need for vengeance, and the power of forgiveness - and I loved all those moments of awkwardness that occur in real life being sprinkled throughout. Glad to have seen it.

7.5/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/apollo...adventure.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70278762

Apollo 10 1⁄2: A Space Age Childhood - (2022)

Nostalgia is such a powerful thing, and despite the fact that I grew up in the 1980s this took me back in time and made me think of all those special details that we remember. Richard Linklater has that same fondness for the same kind of moments that I like to think about from time to time, and watching Space Age Childhood gave me pause to go back myself. There are so many wonderfully funny memories, and his family seems to have been an American ideal - albeit a much less safe one than kids endure these days. This story was perfect for the rotoscoping method - producing memories that aren't finely detailed, but dream-like in their lack of clear definition. Loved the moon landing stuff and imagination put into it. A great movie - shame it couldn't be nominated for Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.

8/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from the distributor., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=49486468

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - (2016)

This is simply one of the funniest and most likable movies of this contemporary era - but it's Taika Waititi, so of course it is. A record-breaker for New Zealand.

9/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A.
(1985, Friedkin)

"I'm gonna bag Masters, and I don't give a shit how I do it."

That's the lengths to which Secret Service agent Richard Chance (William Petersen) will go to grab his man. To Live and Die in L.A. follows his attempts to arrest criminal Rick Masters (Willem Dafoe), a skilled but ruthless counterfeiter that is responsible for murdering Chance's partner. To do this, he has to reluctantly work with newly assigned partner, John Vukovich (John Pankow), a more straight-laced agent.

Released in 1985, this is as 80s as you can get. From its traditional plot of a cop set on revenge, paired with an opposite partner, to its gritty, Miami Vice-like ambience and overall feel. There is also a certain "sleaze" to its vibe, along with huge doses of ultra-violence that just makes it feel of a certain time.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the HOF30.

Mass - (2021)

School shootings. I remember a time when that wasn't even a thing, except for a Stephen King short story.
I don't, You must be older than I assumed.

@Thief how did you watch To Live and Die in LA? It doesn’t seem to be streaming on anything and Netflix doesn’t have the DVD. Seems like it’s right up my alley though.

@Thief how did you watch To Live and Die in LA? It doesn’t seem to be streaming on anything and Netflix doesn’t have the DVD. Seems like it’s right up my alley though.
Sent you a link

NARROW MARGIN 1990 Peter Hyams
(70/100)

1h 37m | Crime | Thriller
Writers: Peter Hyams, Earl Felton, Martin Goldsmith
Cast: Gene Hackman, Anne Archer, James B. Sikking, Harris Yulin, J.T. Walsh

THE NARROW MARGIN 1952 Richard Fleischer
+ (74/100)

1h 11m | Crime | Drama | Film-Noir | Thriller
Writers: Earl Felton, Martin Goldsmith, Jack Leonard
Cast: Charles McGraw, Marie Windsor, Jacqueline White, Gordon Gebert, Queenie Leonard

My girl and I just watched
"I Kill Giants"
I did not expect the ending to be what it was, and honestly that was a week ago, and I'm still a little taken by the movie.
Its super captivating from the start, whimsicle.. spelled wrong.. a little sad and emotional, but also brings you in to the point where you have no choice but to finish it.

Im happy we watched it because it brought to light a lot of things in both of our lives. I wont ruin the ending but if you have family you love and need a reminder of how important they are, this is a good way to find those feelings.