Post-2010s list, what should the next countdown be?

Tools    

I think simultaneous countdowns is a bad idea and I am whole-heartedly against it. It's too much work and I suspect it would negatively affect participation for both subjects.

I'm also not keen on redoing decade lists, though if they happen I would still participate. I do think that "genre" lists should be redone at or after the ten year mark since the pool of eligible movies will have grown in that time.

Ultimately what gets done is going to be determined by community demand and by whether or not there's a willing host. If that means that some subjects don't get covered or have to wait longer, that's just the nature of the beast IMO.

The trick is not minding
The problem with rebooting already done countdowns is that means other countdowns won't get done and people who have been waiting for countdowns like musical or romance, etc won't get a chance.

If we reboot an already countdown, I suggest to be fair that we also do a genre countdown that hasn't been done at the same time....OR do a reboot countdown during the watch period of a genre countdown.
That’s why we do a genre-decade rotation. Nothing gets left out. And there is precedent for doing 10th anniversaries from previous countdowns. Those genre specific countdowns will get their chance, eventually.

Simultaneous 80s Action and 90s Action countdowns. Now that would be fun!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Reboots for decades makes more sense than reboots for genres, if only because there are more genres than decades and it will take longer to cycle through them (especially if you include things like comic book movies and movies directed by women, which are not genres).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As you can probably tell from my lists in the previous countdowns, I look at these countdowns differently than most people here, so keep that in mind when reading my thoughts about this subject. Unlike most people here, I'm not trying to make a list where my top movies will end up on the countdown list. I use these countdowns to explore these genres, (or decades), and to choose what movies to watch, and hopefully find some new favorite movies along the way.

Keeping this in mind, I'm basically opposed to doing a reboot of lists that have been done already, including more specific or scaled-down versions of these lists, such as "Top 100 Comedies of the 1980s".

I'm not really concerned with how we determine the eligibility of the movies, and I'm willing to accept whatever rules are decided upon by either the MoFo collective or the countdown's host, but I would prefer the countdown be one of the genres that haven't been done before.

The genres that sound interesting are:

Musicals
Romance
Noir and/or Crime
Sports
War
Fantasy
Historical and/or Biopics
Sequels, Remakes and/or Prequels

Comic Reboot might also be a good option, only because there have been so many new comic book movies that have been released since the last list that it's likely to be a completely different list.

In reference to doing two lists at once, I'm pretty much against this idea, unless the lists overlap in such a way that I can watch movies for both lists simultaneously, and then just split my results into two separate lists.

I'd like your guys input about doing: smaller and simultaneous countdowns, so that we could produce more 'focused' genre list.

I could see two genre countdowns at the same time, it means more work for Yoda so he would have to green light it. But it would be a way to produce more defined genre countdowns.
I'm good with either of these ideas. But then, I was just coming in to suggest the same kind of thing, so I would be. That's also a good indicator that most would be against it.

Though I would add that if we did Noir, for example, then it could be split into two lists of 50 of the periods most seem to see those films as (classic and neo) and either run concurrently or simultaneously, depending on what worked/was wanted/the host felt worked best for them.

I guess it really comes down to what these lists are meant to be/represent and why we do them?

i’d participate and support a list for any of the genres discussed that we haven’t done yet, although truthfully i’d probably favor a more outside-of-the-box idea over any of the genres we have left. if we want to knock out the last few big ones first then i’m down for that, but we at least need to start thinking about getting creative sooner rather than later so we have a contingency plan when we run out of genres that people are interested in. we should certainly redo the decade lists according to schedule, but redoing the genre lists just doesn’t sound as interesting to me.

just gonna quote some of the examples i threw out last time:
top 100 french films (or any country/region)
top 100 screenplays
top 100 best-looking films
top 100/50 directors (just because it wouldn't work in the lists section doesn't mean it wouldn't be a fascinating and fun list)
top 100 actors (we did one of these before but it was pretty haphazard. no reason we can't do it for real)
a few more ideas, some more feasible, others more thought experiments :
top 100 performances
top 50 of a given year
top 50 of a given studio
top 50 directorial debuts
top 100 overlooked gems (movies not already in our list section)
top 100 films by black filmmakers
top 100 lgbtq+ films

my preference would still be for targeting a specific country, but i’m also a fan of the idea of narrowing a genre within a given decade. both ideas sound like they could allow for a lot of fun discovery.
criticker

If Romance has not been done yet, then it should be the top idea for the next countdown.

If we do Musicals, I won't submit a ballot, cause I don't really care for them, but I will kepp an eye on it.

I like the idea of Sports movie countdown.

On a side note, as someone who loves the 'Really Good Bad movies', I hope we do one for it in the future. Maybe a short one.

Also, I think doing multiple countdowns at the same time is a bad idea.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
top 100 overlooked gems (movies not already in our list section)
Only one worth doing.

Only if we could find someone willing to chair the inevitable what is/isn't overlooked combined with the tortuous what is an isn't a gem argument and that's before we get around to people not submitting a list because of their film(s) not being allowed for whatever reason, plus those who'd just be put off by the whole thing and not bother.

The best performances idea is intriguing, but I think probably unworkable. There are the obvious logistical hurdles that Yoda alluded to. Is there even a database that you could draw from to build a ballot form? If not, that means poring over every voter's typed-out ballot, right? But I also think there are just too many performances to pick from. Every movie has several major perfomances--that's a huge multiplier effect when voting. So the likelihood of having a large number of ties and/or the top of the list having a small number of votes/points seems immense. And then I think the interest would be lower.

On lower interest, as much I like the idea of lists of movies from Black filmmakers or LGBTQ+ films, I suspect we would struggle to get participation and a robust list. I recently made a list of all the films I'd seen made by women, and the result was pretty embarrassing. I was restrictive in my definition (solo filmmakers only), but even a looser definition would not be great. A list of movie from Black filmmakers would, I fear, be even worse. A lot of this is just down to history, of course, but it's an inescapable fact that these are relatively shallow pools to draw from, both in terms of what's available and (probably more pertinently) in terms of what's been seen. As a fan of musicals I think we'll have the same problem there, if not quite as serious (I'll probably still vote for it as the next countdown).

My wet blanket 2 cents.

Bumping this:

I guess I should also note that this can proceed one of three ways now:

1) A bunch of suggestions go on the eventual poll.
2) We create a poll to decide which of these goes on the actual poll.
3) People generally coalesce around one of these options so I can just put it with the other three and we can start sooner.
I'm not sure #3 is happening, which means an elongated process here, unless people can weigh in more definitively and we can get at least a plurality choice for what to add to the poll.

Or, secret option #4 only to be used in the event of #3 not happening: I self-appoint myself List Dictator, read through the thread, and just make a unilateral decision based on what sounds most promising, and then we vote.

I'd support an LGBTQ+ countdown with a ballot but as others have already voiced I'd also be concerned there wouldn't be enough here willing to do likewise. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I like Crime/Noir, Musicals and War as the poll options as all three have their supporters and have been mooted more than once in the past, adding a 4th option would probably just dilute the votes. Whatever would have been the 4th option this time can become the 3rd option on the poll next time a date-independent countdown is due.

Just my pinch of salt opinion.

Bumping this:

I'm not sure #3 is happening, which means an elongated process here, unless people can weigh in more definitively and we can get at least a plurality choice for what to add to the poll.

Or, secret option #4 only to be used in the event of #3 not happening: I self-appoint myself List Dictator, read through the thread, and just make a unilateral decision based on what sounds most promising, and then we vote.
I think option 1 is best. My suggestion is select the 5 genres/categories mentioned most in the thread and the poll can consist of those.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm good with number 4. I don't see a fourth option having to much of a chance of winning, but it can perhaps provide a glimmer of hope for making a list eventually in the distant future if that makes sense

One thing to consider regarding all the list ideas people like, but are worried would lack for participation and/or options, is that with Custom Lists people could do their own "mini" lists, just with a bit more formality than, say, something one person throws together. They could maybe "invite" a dozen people they know are very interested, limit the number on the eventual list, and just bootstrap it themselves with their own bespoke rules and requirements separate from the "big" Countdowns, which have slowly evolved their own set of rules that aren't as malleable from list to list, to suit specific list needs.