The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
You preferred 'Song to Song' over 'The Tree of Life' ?
I should have clarified "least favourite Terrence Malick that I've seen" - just being lazy. I didn't even know Song to Song existed.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I forgot the opening line.
9. Her - On a different day, Her would have ended up on my ballot, and I had to check twice to make sure it wasn't. Squeezing 25 in wasn't easy, so despite this being one of my favourite films it was unfortunate to miss out - however, to use a MoFo cliché, "it didn't need my help". This is one of those films which goes about asking many questions and exploring many avenues in trying to find answers - what makes consciousness? What is love? It also underlines the fact that humanity is becoming more and more disconnected as it connects to a world of our own making. We're infatuated with the virtual worlds we are creating, and we will most surely become infatuated with the A.I. we create in the same manner. Are we, as a species, about to become strangers to human relationships? We're in safe hands here, for this is a Spike Jonze film and he has Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Scarlett Johansson to act out this near-future love story that's really intelligent but also very accessible. Saw this with a friend and we both loved it - can hardly believe that it wasn't on my ballot, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Seen 82/92

As is traditional nowadays, many of us start revealing films we had on our list that we know didn't make it. I want to start with my 1-pointer, wondering who else voted for it :

My #25 - Climax

This Gaspar Noé film could well be classified as horror, and it's an unrelenting and harrowing ride. A dance troupe has their drinks spiked with an hallucinogen, and what follows is a human inferno that rages through the building they're in. We watch on as a few dozen people suddenly lose their minds - this is so well filmed, and a well choreographed hell-ride that meets Noé's typical standards for disturbing an audience. One of the best horror films of the decade, and another addition to his fascinating and grotesque library of devilish motion pictures. Who else voted for this, my 1-pointer? I hope to find out.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Ten? I only have four in the countdown and 0 in the top 10. I wish that made me cool but it just means I'm behind the times...and I like it that way

I think it's great that you have unique taste in movies, and that you don't feel any pressure to go along with the crowd.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I considered Her for my list, but after rewatching it for this countdown, it got cut in one of the early rounds of cuts. I still like the movie, but just not as much as I did the first time I saw it.

As is traditional nowadays, many of us start revealing films we had on our list that we know didn't make it. I want to start with my 1-pointer, wondering who else voted for it :

My #25 - Climax

While on the subject, would like to know who else voted for my 1-ptr, Bobcat Goldthwait's "God Bless America".

9. Her - On a different day, Her would have ended up on my ballot, and I had to check twice to make sure it wasn't. Squeezing 25 in wasn't easy, so despite this being one of my favourite films it was unfortunate to miss out - however, to use a MoFo cliché, "it didn't need my help". This is one of those films which goes about asking many questions and exploring many avenues in trying to find answers - what makes consciousness? What is love? It also underlines the fact that humanity is becoming more and more disconnected as it connects to a world of our own making. We're infatuated with the virtual worlds we are creating, and we will most surely become infatuated with the A.I. we create in the same manner. Are we, as a species, about to become strangers to human relationships? We're in safe hands here, for this is a Spike Jonze film and he has Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Scarlett Johansson to act out this near-future love story that's really intelligent but also very accessible. Saw this with a friend and we both loved it - can hardly believe that it wasn't on my ballot, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Seen 82/92

My #25 - Climax

This Gaspar Noé film could well be classified as horror, and it's an unrelenting and harrowing ride. A dance troupe has their drinks spiked with an hallucinogen, and what follows is a human inferno that rages through the building they're in. We watch on as a few dozen people suddenly lose their minds - this is so well filmed, and a well choreographed hell-ride that meets Noé's typical standards for disturbing an audience. One of the best horror films of the decade, and another addition to his fascinating and grotesque library of devilish motion pictures. Who else voted for this, my 1-pointer? I hope to find out.
Me. It was my #22

I had to put a Noe film in there. He's a different breed. His films are incredible and boundary pushing. Climax is a brilliant take on modern day France and societal structures. Shame it didn't make the list but hopefully more people watch it.

Joaquin Phoenix basically IS the movie, though. Well, him and Scarlett Johansson's voice, but you can't put a voice on a poster.
Try telling Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks/whoever that.
Her is basically a Black Mirror episode but with Joaquin Phoenix.
It does come across that way to me and, as someone who was tiring of Black Mirror before it went to Netflix, and haven't seen any of those episodes, that might be part of why it doesn't really grab me, even though I may love it. C21st Electric Dreams is how I originally thought of it and, while it doens't feel that that's what it is, bascially, that's what it is.

My only contribution for now is that the poster makes it look like somebody trying to do a movie about Super Mario that might win an Oscar.
Whenever I see that poster I just think it's what C21st Magnum would look like.

FTR, I know there is C21st Magnum and he doesn't look like that. But that's because it's C21st Magnum styled by C21st Miami Vice.

Climax was my #25, not because I wanted it to make the 1 pointer list, I don't do that crap. I thought it had a chance at making the countdown.

[b]9.

My #25 - Climax

Climax was my #10. It is the only Noe movie that I've seen. I've always loved stories held in one place and this kind of horror is the one that I was looking for generally. I thought that it will show up in the list but it's not that weird not to. It was really fun to watch.

292 points, 18 lists
Blade Runner 2049
Director

Denis Villeneuve, 2017

Starring

Ryan Gosling, Ana de Armas, Harrison Ford, Jared Leto

I've seen Blade Runner 2049 and did enjoy it quite a bit. I think part of that was just the relief that it wasn't terrible, LOL. Interesting to see it place so high.

Trivia

Blade Runner 2049 - To make Joi (Ana de Armas) appear more artificial, editor Joe Walker experimented by freezing her image for nine frames just before she responds to a question. That way it looked like her program paused for a split second, as if her processor was briefly occupied in coming up with an answer. However, it felt corny and it was decided that her artificiality was already convincingly communicated through her fast costume changes and transparency.

MoFo Reviewer

To me the most compelling part of both films is the philosophical implications, and this doesn't disappoint. I have my own reservations about sharing and discussing movie interpretations, but you can certainly analyze this one for a while. There's some pretty obvious symbolism in here, and it's abundant with the same sorts of themes the first one presents, while also having some more subtle details that make me want to watch this one some more.
Read the full review here.

I've never seen the original Blade Runner so haven't bothered with this one, either. I'm happy to see it though, because it means the one movie from my ballot that is still to come is even higher. Here's hoping that movie makes it to #1.

mark f

Blade Runner 2049 (Denis Villeneuve, 2017)
+

Blade runner Ryan Gosling tries to save former Blade runner Harrison Ford.
Blade Runner 2049 didn't make mark f's ballot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's pretty good but miles away from the original movie.

I watched it at the cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.