Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

RRR (2022) 2nd watch

No other big budget Hollywood actioner will ever be the same once one have seen this masterpiece…

I strongly enforce: get some friends together, get some beers, find the biggest screen and audio system possible (preferably go to the cinemas if there are showings near you) and just HAVE A F****** BLAST!

Victim of The Night
3 From Hell (2019)

I'm not a fan of these kinds of movies, but in the spirit of Halloween, here we are....I have seen Devils Rejects and thought it was fine, but I never saw House of 1000 Corpses. This one lacked originality, direction, intelligence, and I dont really know why it needed to be made haha a slight rating above 1/5 simply because it made me laugh a couple times
I feel like it wasn't a good idea to make this without Sid Haig. This series needs his charisma, Mosley and Moon do not have the stuff to carry a movie like this on their own, IMO.

Alligator - Directed by Lewis Teague with a screenplay written by John Sayles this 1980 horror thriller tries to have as much fun as it can with it's admittedly ramshackle, urban legend premise. It starts out with a family vacationing down in Florida and visiting a reptile farm where the daughter buys a tiny alligator. Flash forward an indeterminate time and the family is back home in Chicago where her exasperated father flushes it down the toilet. This is a giant mutated creature feature so that part is explained away by the gator growing to enormous size on a steady diet of dogs injected with an experimental growth hormone. The perps are local company Slade pharmaceuticals who hire sketchy pet store owner Luke Gutchel (Sydney Lassick) to provide the pooches as well as dispose of the remains in the city sewer system.

People start disappearing which brings in Detective David Madison (Robert Forster). It's always good to see Forster in anything and Sayles makes sure to give him just enough little quirks to make him likable. There's also a running gag involving Madison's touchiness about his male pattern baldness. The detective eventually teams up with herpetologist Marissa Kendall (Robin Riker) to track down and kill the creature.

There are plenty of familiar faces in the supporting cast including Michael V. Gazzo as the Chief of Police, Dean Jagger as the owner of the pharmaceutical company and comic Jack Carter as the Mayor. But as far as I'm concerned the movie doesn't entirely kick into gear until Henry Silva shows up as great white hunter Colonel Brock. He immediately makes his presence known by imitating a gator mating call to a female TV reporter.

I thought this was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously and the two leads have a relaxed sort of camaraderie even after getting romantically involved. This was due mostly to Sayles' screenplay and the laid back vibe mixes well with the creature feature aspects.

80/100

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I forgot the opening line.

By http://www.impawards.com/2022/x_ver8.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70038073

X - (2022)

I've been digging deep into The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for a future review, and it just so happens most of the modern day horror films I'm watching lately seem to have been inspired by that seminal horror film. X delves deep into the sexual element of horror, but pointedly goes against the grain of most slashers - the "monsters" in this are hideous because of their violence, for sure, but also because of their age. The longing they have for their youth means they don't conform to what younger people demand old people be once they reach a certain age. The film pointedly shapes some of the film's most horrific scenes around sexualized elements that make us cringe - while contrasting that with young beautiful bodies. There is certainly rage against the dying of the light - which befits the victims and perpetrators in this modern day slasher film, and makes this a cut above many others.

7/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The Last movie i watched was a korean drama called extraordinary attorney woo. It was trending korean drama. But I found it pretty normal movie not that intersting.

Victim of The Night
The Last movie i watched was a korean drama called extraordinary attorney woo. It was trending korean drama. But I found it pretty normal movie not that intersting.
I had heard good things about this.

Keanu (2016) 3.5/5

Its got a cute kitten, Key and Peele, comedy, psycho killers and more. What's not to like?
Very afraid to watch a movie with a “cute kitten” & “psycho killers”. I’ll pass.

Very afraid to watch a movie with a “cute kitten” & “psycho killers”. I’ll pass.
Keanu is very funny and cute. It is about this guy and his cousin trying to get his kitten back from these drug dealers. Keanu the kitten is in the midst of a lot of mayhem but it is never directed at him. He is really a mcguffin but a cute mcguffin. All these bad guys and our heroes want Keanu for their own pet.

The Hunting Ground (2015) 3.5/5
This is a documentary about sexual assault on college campuses and the ineffective way that it is dealt with by the colleges.
The most disturbing statistic is that 1 in 5 women will be sexually assaulted in college and that is those who come forward. This does not even include men who are assaulted by other men as they are even more loathe to come forward.
It places the blame squarely on the colleges and universities themselves as statistics have found that though many are sexually assaulted it is by a very low proportion of men. The men, who assault are repeat offenders. It is implied that if the schools were responsive, the numbers of victims would drop precipitously.

The institutions of higher learning are... surprise, surprise... more interested in their reputation than the safety of their students.

The film is definitely on the side of the victims and only interviews one perpetrator. People are often concerned about the perpetrators rights but only one rapists name was mentioned as far as I remember. And that underscored the difference between the shabby treatment of the victim and the preferential treatment that was given to a perpetrator, who was also a talented athlete and an asset to the school's football program, and therefore to their fund raising.

Brimstone, 2016

Liz (Dakota Fanning) is a mute woman living with her husband (William Houston), his son (Jack Hollington) and her daughter (Ivy George). Liz is a midwife, and things take a turn for the very bad when a new preacher (Guy Pearce) rolls into town: a delivery goes bad and the bereaved father turns violent. As Liz flees the preacher, we get a series of chapters showing how he featured in her past and just how she came to her current situation.

Overall this was a well-acted film that looked great and had some interesting themes, but I struggled with how well I felt the plot fit into the runtime.

To be clear: a long runtime isn't inherently a problem for me. But in this case, it felt very much as if scenes were being given way more than the time they needed to breathe. Around the halfway point I stopped feeling like I was watching a slow burn and the word "plodding" started rearing its head. The reveals that we get as the film goes on are more and more outlandish, and yet I felt less and less moved. There's so much cruelty loaded into the first half of the movie that by the time I got to the end I had spent all of my caring coins.

I did think that the performances were really good. Even though it seemed like there was something a little funky going on with his accent, Pearce makes for a more than menacing antagonist. Perfectly balancing his performance is Fanning. Her Liz is clearly a strong person (heck, you'd have to be delivering babies on the frontier!), and her barely concealed panic every time she sees the preacher does plenty of heavy lifting in making him an imposing figure.

I also thought that the supporting actors were very good, including Emilia Jones as a young woman who features in Liz's past. Carice van Houten is haunting as Liz's mother in one of the flashback chapters. And though his role is very brief, Kit Harington makes an impression as a rare example of a sort of moral person in this bleak environment. I'd also give a nod to George, who more than holds her own against much older and more experienced actors.

The film also looks really good. It's a beautiful portrayal of a bleak and harsh landscape, ranging from arid deserts to snowy woods. There were also some really neat camera shots, such as a lovely and almost seamless transition holding on one character from one room to another.

I do think, though, that the movie lost me quite a bit in the last 15-20 minutes. The film is already an extended chronicle of cruel, brutal, and unfair things happening to people, especially women. (While several man are also killed, they are done so more incidentally, while many female characters are tortured, harassed, beaten, etc). It's such a negative outlook that it actually begins to rob the film of suspense. Oh, will that nice person be killed? Of course they will! It almost feels like it's bordering on parody as, in the last act
WARNING: spoilers below
Liz's possibly undead father is monologuing about getting to rape her 7 or 8 year old daughter

The film does offer a brutal portrayal of patriarchy, and more broadly how abuse and mistreatment are able to thrive especially in certain closed environments, whether that's a church or a brothel. (The fact that women are abused just as badly in the church as in the brothel is sort of bleakly funny.) I did appreciate the film's acknowledgement that women who stand up to abuse often do not fare well. The women in this movie who fight back against abuse are usually just abused further and worse, because the power structure that enables the abuse in the first place also enforces punishments against any pushback. I think that it also neatly skewers the whole "barely legal" fetishist crowd.

I was drawn into this one with the strong opening act, but I felt that it ran on too long and started to become a case of diminishing returns. The more it revealed, the less powerful it got.

I forgot the opening line.

By IMP Awards / 2021 Movie Poster Gallery / Flee Poster (#2 of 2), Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=68237239

Flee - (2021)

Flee has a bitter-sweet kind of sadness which stays with you long after it finishes. It also rekindles a restless rage from deep inside of me, because my country treats fleeing refugees like horrible criminals, and Australian political parties take advantage of the xenophobia a certain percentage of my fellow countrymen are saddled with, like tumors. It tells the true story of a man with the alias Amin Nawabi - from his childhood in Afghanistan during the communist days and Soviet invasion (when his father, an anti-communist is dragged off one night never to be seen again) to his family fleeing the Taliban, and ending up in Moscow. Russia was a terrible place for Afghan refugees to be, and so began the plight of his family placing their trust in people smugglers to get the hell out. The horrors they endure will last a lifetime in their memories - but what's worse is the fact that the close-knit family ended up scattered throughout Europe. This film ended up a triple-threat at the 2022 Oscars, for it's animated, a documentary and comes from Denmark. I've now seen 3/5 Best Foreign Language Oscar nominees (winner Drive My Car and The Worst Person in the World the other two) and 3/5 Best Feature Documentary nominees (Ascension and Attica the other two). So, was it any good? Yeah - at first I thought seeing another true story in this animated style would be tiring - but it's just different enough to be unique, and it feels like an essential component. The animated storytelling felt like real mental pictures, accessed by Nawabi's memories - and seeing his mother and sisters through the lens of his mind made this all the more sad. Nawabi's homosexuality is also explored - for in Afghanistan, being gay is considered so bad that there isn't even a word for it, so him fleeing the Taliban and finding himself in a more sexually free country completed the picture of escaping persecution and horror. I recommend Flee to those who haven't seen it.

8/10

Brimstone, 2016

The film is already an extended chronicle of cruel, brutal, and unfair things happening to people, especially women. (While several man are also killed, they are done so more incidentally, while many female characters are tortured, harassed, beaten, etc).
I don't think this film could (or should) possibly work without its brutal treatment of women (and I don't think there was anything incidental or non-cruel in the death of Liz's husband). To me, Brimstone is an anti-religion (with Christian dressing but as, if not more, applicable to Islam as well) film structured in mythical or biblical form.

Brimstone is set in stone for my 2010s ballot. One of my favorite films from this century.

I SAW THE DEVIL
(2010, Kim)

"Don't act so weak... this is just the beginning. Remember... your nightmare's only getting worse!"

I Saw the Devil follows Kim Soo-hyun (Lee Byung-huh), a young Secret Service agent that sets out to take revenge on Jang Kyung-chul (Choi Min-sik), the ruthless serial killer that brutally murdered his fiancée. The above is not a statement from the serial killer, but from Kim, who is determined to make Kyung-chul suffer through an elaborate game of cat-and-mouse that will only get worse.

This main premise is nothing new. The downward spiral of a quest for revenge hardly leads to a good place. The horrors committed by Kyung-chul are not hidden, and evident from the first 20 minutes of the film; there is no denying that. But by heading down this path, Kim technically becomes as ruthless as this serial killer. But even though this is a road that has been walked before on other films, a taut direction from Kim Jee-woon, and some solid performances, especially from Choi, make the journey worthwhile.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

THE PLATFORM
(2019, Gaztelu-Urrutia)

"Do you believe in God?
"This month, yes."

The Platform follows Goreng (Iván Massagué), a man that wakes up in a concrete cell labeled #48 along with the older Trimagasi (Zorion Eguileor). It is through him that we learn that they're both part of a social experiment where people are held prisoners in a multi-leveled structure, while a platform filled to the brim with food descends through a hole in the center of each room. As expected, the ones in the upper levels enjoy the feast, while the ones in the lower levels get nothing.

The Platform premiered in Spain in late 2019, but it was brought to Netflix in March 2020, just as the pandemic started. And to be honest, I can't think of a better representation of the selfishness of people that is represented in the film than the way people have behaved all through these years; the individual interests superseding the good of the whole, but also the failures of economical systems that favor the wealthy. The film is not subtle about its message, but still executes it really well.

Grade:

THE GIRL IN THE YELLOW JUMPER
(2020, Loukman)

"Sometimes, the good thing is not always the right thing to do."

The Girl in the Yellow Jumper opens with Jim (Michael Wawuyo Jr.) as he limps injured through the Ugandan countryside, trying to hitch a ride to the city. He is eventually picked up by Patrick (Maurice Kirya), an off-duty cop who's reluctantly transporting a witness. On their way, the two men share some stories that shed some light about how they got to where they are now, but more importantly, who they really are.

I had never heard of this Ugandan mystery thriller, but saw it come up on a couple of lists of African films, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. Not only is it extremely well shot, but its labyrinthine story is craftily weaved in a way that makes it a real pleasure to unfold. Maybe director and writer Loukman Ali goes a bit too far with some red herrings, but for the most part, everything he sets up, has a solid payoff in the end.

Grade: