Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Master of My Domain
Throw Mama From the Train (DeVito, 1987)

As soon as I knew what the plot was, I worried about whether it would work or not. And it surprisingly does, even though it's an overall mess. This is a short, but fun ride that will have you occasionally laughing.

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Still a cheerful joy to see, feel and listen to,
even countless of rewatches later!

The tone and the charm fits well with the period it was made as well as the period it portrays. Sometimes things appear a little sketchy and quirky, which of course is only for the betterment of the style and approach of the film and the satire of the industry - and for the most part it works really well. The songs are absolutely fantastic, hands down, and the dancing and singing just the same. Marvelous.

The only part that still throws me off slightly is the broadway piece where Kelly is putting forward his idea for a modern number. It drags a bit and is not up to par with the rest. That said, it is also the most experimental and challenging segment in the film, so I still respect and admire it. There isn't much to be said about this one... it's simply great.

-

Allegiant (2016)

Another cliched and boring young adult novel adaptation that had bad acting, dragged on for too long, and brought absolutely nothing new to the table of YA movies. Even the good actors (Shailene Woodley, Jeff Daniels) felt like they were phoning it in. Would not recommend.
That's what I was afraid of for the last three days.

Throw Mama From the Train (DeVito, 1987)

As soon as I knew what the plot was, I worried about whether it would work or not. And it surprisingly does, even though it's an overall mess. This is a short, but fun ride that will have you occasionally laughing.

I love this film. Completely agree with you it is a mess but i don't care the full thing cracks me up, whoever that was playing DeVitos mum deserved an Oscar nom she was amazing.

The conformation Owen and Lieberher where great a solid B

Greatest reviewer alive
10 Cloverfield Lane

Saw this the day it came out, whenever that was. Originally, this was strictly meant to be just some claustrophobic/being held hostage film with a nuclear attack scenario happening outside. Then, a producer said "Hey, I know a great way we can tie this into the Cloverfield universe" and tacked on some extra terrestrial like creatures in the final act. And thank the Lord he did. I haven't seen such a well made genre movie since Cabin In The Woods.

10 Cloverfield Lane

Saw this the day it came out, whenever that was. Originally, this was strictly meant to be just some claustrophobic/being held hostage film with a nuclear attack scenario happening outside. Then, a producer said "Hey, I know a great way we can tie this into the Cloverfield universe" and tacked on some extra terrestrial like creatures in the final act. And thank the Lord he did. I haven't seen such a well made genre movie since Cabin In The Woods. 4.5/5
I think the producers had a pretty big hand in this one; before Thalberg they used to make the least necessary contribution, producers had a Russian-Jewish respect for the artist. Shame too since for a directorial debut the film had potential, I don't know why they went with a silly story.

Greatest reviewer alive
I think the producers had a pretty big hand in this one; before Thalberg they used to make the least necessary contribution, producers had a Russian-Jewish respect for the artist. Shame too since for a directorial debut the film had potential, I don't know why they went with a silly story.

Allegiant:
If you like seeing upper B list actors phone in a YA book trilogy adaptation, this is your film you weird person. Warning for the unaware, this is Allegiant part 1, and part 2 comes out next year. They split the book and changed titles to hide it. This was really just awful all around.

The Theory of Everything:
I'm not a fan of Eddie Redmayne because of his insistence on awards bait roles, but he is a great actor. What a performance. Felicity Jones is almost as good, it's harder for her because she has to be the subtle one playing off of him. The script is the opposite of Imitation Game. That was all about emotion and character with no story-this is a series of events biopic that never slows down to give emotions to characters. The best is somewhere in the middle. Brilliantly made and has amazing parts, but not that interesting to actually watch.

Anabelle:
Not an awful movie, and not as bad as I remember it a year and a half ago, but it's just there. Nothing new/engaging/unique.

Godzilla (2014) ★★★✩✩

While I admire Garreth Edwards' restraint in focusing on the human story and denying us the spectacle until the final act, the human story feels contrived, and the spectacle is tarnished by poor lighting. Why hide the purposely gratifying climax in the shadows? The sound design might be its most divisive quality, using silence to bolster uproar despite breaking immersion. This movie is almost as good as the trailers, which means success for a blockbuster. Props to Warner Brothers for giving an indie director a shot. It worked a lot better here than with Jurassic World.

http://boxd.it/8ZZOv

The revenant - 9/10

Care for some gopher?
Ratatouille (Brad Bird/Jan Pinkava, 2007) -
+

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (Edgar Wright, 2010) -
+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (G. Tornatore, 1985)

Can't believe I've waited so long to watch this movie!
Amazing acting, incredible plotline, great soundtrack (another gem by Morricone) and a perfect, perfect direction!
I can't remember the last time I cried so much at the end of a movie. Simply astonishing!

--------------------

Die Hard III: With a Vengeance (John McTiernan, 1995)

Didn't like it as much as the first time I watched it but it's still one of the best action movies of all time and a hell of a ride!
Yipikaye Motherfuc*er!!!

I have to return some videotapes...
Superman (1978) -
++

Incredible.