GBG's Movies I Can Watch Over and Over Again

Tools    

Yeah, I read that, but I've never understood what people see in him. I don't even like him in the movies he made with Dean Martin.
Aside from being an innovative film-making pioneer, cinematic inventor, comedic genius, there's not much to him.

I'm just kidding with you, gbg. If you don't like him, you don't like him. (I do admit he sometimes came off as arrogant in real life.)

I feel the film he was in (not one of "his" films) that was his greatest departure was The King of Comedy (1982) where he played a character much like his real life identity. If you haven't seen it, give it a try - I think it's a great film for people who don't like Jerry Lewis because he's a secondary character who basically plays himself and is quite unlikable (and that's part of what makes the film great). Talk about films to watch again - this DeNiro dramedy is an underrated gem!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Aside from being an innovative film-making pioneer, cinematic inventor, comedic genius, there's not much to him.

I'm just kidding with you, gbg. If you don't like him, you don't like him. (I do admit he sometimes came off as arrogant in real life.)

I feel the film he was in (not one of "his" films) that was his greatest departure was The King of Comedy (1982) where he played a character much like his real life identity. If you haven't seen it, give it a try - I think it's a great film for people who don't like Jerry Lewis because he's a secondary character who basically plays himself and is quite unlikable (and that's part of what makes the film great). Talk about films to watch again - this DeNiro dramedy is an underrated gem!

I saw The King of Comedy back when it was in the theater, but I didn't like it. (With the exception of maybe one or two movies, I'm not much of a DeNiro fan either. )

I thought you were watching TV

Yeah, we're watching "Bates Motel" right now. This week's episode is a great episode.

We watched "Crowded" earlier, but it was terrible. We were done with that show after the pilot episode.

I never heard of either, so I'll take you word on it

I think "Bates Motel" is on A&E, and it's about Norman Bates as a teenager. I think it's currently in season 4.

"Crowded" was a new comedy with Patrick Warburton, but it probably won't last long.

107. Stakeout (1987)

When two detectives are assigned to watch the house of the ex-girlfriend of an escaped prisoner, one of the detectives ends up in a relationship with the girl, while his partner watches them from the house across the street.

This movie has a great story, with a nice blend of comedy, romance, action, and just enough of a thriller to be an all-around terrific movie. Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez are great together as the two detectives. They play off each other perfectly. Madeleine Stowe and Richard Dreyfuss have great chemistry together, and Aidan Quinn rounds out a terrific cast as the escaped prisoner.

This isn't my favorite Richard Dreyfuss movie, but it's near the top of the list.

Stakeout (1987) Trailer:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stakeout.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	24608  

106. Cats ("Great Performances" - 1998)

This is another "movie" that's not really a movie. It's actually an episode from the PBS series "Great Performances", but it was released on DVD, and I watch it over and over again. Unfortunately, I never got to see "Cats" on Broadway, so this is probably the closest that I'll ever get to seeing it. Fortunately, this is an amazing performance.

The show "Cats" is one of the longest running shows on Broadway, and if you can't see it on Broadway, at least you can see it on DVD. If you're not familiar with it, it's the show where the characters are people dressed as cats. It's the night of the Jellicle Ball, and each cat tries to be chosen by Old Deuteronomy to go to the Heaviside Layer and be reborn to a new Jellicle life.

"Cats" has some amazing songs, including the beautiful song "Memory". My favorite songs are "The Rum Tum Tugger", "Skimbleshanks: The Railway Cat", and "Mr. Mistoffelees". If you haven't seen this show, you're missing something very special.

"The Rum Tum Tugger":
Attachments

Name:	Cats.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	24610  

105. Arthur (1981)

I'm generally hit or miss with Dudley Moore's movies, but Arthur Bach is the role that he was born to play. This movie is about a millionaire named Arthur who is engaged to a wealthy heiress, but he falls in love with a waitress named Linda, (played by Liza Minnelli). If he doesn't marry the heiress, he will lose his entire fortune. He gets guidance from his butler, Hobson, (played by John Gielgud).

This movie is a wonderful rom-com. Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli are terrific together, and John Gielgud is brilliant as Hobson. This movie is a laugh-riot from start to finish. And it has a great theme song too.

Arthur (1981) Trailer:

Arthur (1981) Theme Song - "Best That You Can Do" sung by Christopher Cross:
Attachments

Name:	Arthur.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	24611  

I saw Stakeout at the movies, and several times since. The poster makes it look goofy, but like you said, it's a great all around movie.

Yeah, I don't care much for the poster either, but the movie's great. But the sequel was only okay.

I hated the sequel

I hated it the first time I saw it, but I saw it again a few months ago and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it. It still wasn't good, but it wasn't terrible either. Maybe because my expectations were so low this time.

104. Noises Off! (1992)

This movie is an underrated, (and for some reason a little-known), movie about a group of disorganized actors preparing for the opening night of their stage play. It's fun, it's chaotic, and it's hysterical from start to finish.

It has an amazing all-star cast including Michael Caine, John Ritter, Christopher Reeve, Carol Burnett, Marilu Henner, Denholm Elliott, and more, and they are all perfect in their roles.

Noises Off! (1992) Trailer:
Attachments

Name:	Noises-Off.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	24612  

The other
Any Star Wars film
Ronin
The Saw movies
The scary movies