Okay's Thoughts on Okay Films

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
Tenebre (1982) by Dario Argento

I'm just gonna come right out and say it, "Tenebre" was absolute rubbish from beginning to end, and to be frank, I don't even care enough to waste my time writing about it, so I'll make this brief. The movie is filled with idiocy and inconsistencies, to the point of me getting bored by all of the stupidity, just 30 minutes into its runtime. The film also doesn't work as a mindless gorefest, when all of the practical effects can't even hold up nowadays, so they are left looking pretty dumb. Oh and the acting is bad too.

The only compliments I can give the movie are, it being shot competently, and the score effectively working a few times. Other than that, it's a pure waste of time. I'm not giving up on Argento though, I currently have "Deep Red" ready to be seen, and I already have watched "Suspiria" when I was very young, but I think I need to revisit it, so it's only a matter of time before I get to them both.

1/2
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

You can't win an argument just by being right!
That is the best review of a bad movie experience I have seen for a long time, especially this, needs to be in bold:

I'm just gonna come right out and say it, "Tenebre" was absolute rubbish from beginning to end, and to be frank, I don't even care enough to waste my time writing about it, so I'll make this brief.

I havent seen it but just loving your words for my next shtty experience with a movie. Thank You! Made me laugh on an otherwise gloomy morning.

movies can be okay...
That is the best review of a bad movie experience I have seen for a long time, especially this, needs to be in bold:

I'm just gonna come right out and say it, "Tenebre" was absolute rubbish from beginning to end, and to be frank, I don't even care enough to waste my time writing about it, so I'll make this brief.

I havent seen it but just loving your words for my next shtty experience with a movie. Thank You! Made me laugh on an otherwise gloomy morning.
Haha I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it, because I sure as hell didn't. Dreadful movie
I hope I can catch your respective rant on some crappy movie too. You might not currently know each other, but I'm sure the meet and greet will happen soon I can already tell.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Haha I'm glad you got some enjoyment out of it, because I sure as hell didn't. Dreadful movie
I hope I can catch your respective rant on some crappy movie too. You might not currently know each other, but I'm sure the meet and greet will happen soon I can already tell.
LOL. I just really loved your way with words because it's EXACTLY the way I feel when I drag myself through a movie that bores me to tears just because I like the director, actor, DoP etc. I;m so bored at the thought of it I cant be bothered wasting too much energy writing about it. Usually this is all I say so you were a lot more creative

I fell asleep, then I forget it.

I loved your review.

movies can be okay...
The Florida Project (2017) by Sean Baker

Sean Baker is a director who was only known to me as, that guy who made a film with an iPhone 5s, and with "The Florida Project", he definitely proves to be way more than just that. I seriously didn't expect such aesthetically pleasing shots from the same film-maker of "Tangerine". The composition of each scene is meticulous, and the colour schemes compliment the trashy atmosphere of the film in a juxtaposing way. Overall, there's nothing to be said about the cinematography, other than how impressive it is.

As for the story, it is just as powerful as the technical aspects of the movie. I cared so much about the presented characters, despite their flaws and disgusting behaviour. I wanted them to succeed, to stay happy, hell to even continue on with their wretched lifestyle, if that meant them remaining joyful. The last time I felt strongly about characters in a film was almost a year go, while watching "Mommy" (Though, I'm not saying they were as strong as the characters of Dolan's masterpiece). The acting was fantastic, from Willem Dafoe to all of the children, which is totally surprising since most kids tend to be garbage actors.

The only major issue I have, is the last 15 to 20 seconds of the film. I get what Sean Baker was going for, but it was executed terribly. Not only was the abrupt change to the iPhone style an awful decision (I do understand he had little to no choice), but the accompanying soundtrack of these final seconds was genuinely awful as well. It was pretty sad seeing such a bad conclusion to such a great movie.

🌟🌟🌟🌟

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll agree it could have went up a notch if it was ended more properly, but it didn't ruin it for me just like it didn't for you. Maybe on the next watch I'll get more out of that ending.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
The Florida Project (2017) by Sean Baker

As for the story, it is just as powerful as the technical aspects of the movie. I cared so much about the presented characters, despite their flaws and disgusting behaviour. I wanted them to succeed, to stay happy, hell to even continue on with their wretched lifestyle, if that meant them remaining joyful.

Quite opposite here. I couldn't muster a little bit of sympathy for characters. I felt sorry only for children, who were deprived of any attention of their caretaker. Thanks God, chowkidar played by (brilliant as usual) Dafoe was on charge. I felt sorry for him, that he had to deal with so many (not his) problems.

Have You seen American Honey? I saw it before TFP. Those two movie are extremly similar for me. In both cases I had feeling, the characters were ruinig their lives. Ok, their lives - their business, but don't require from me to feel a pity for them. (OMG, I'm a monster )

movies can be okay...
[left]Quite opposite here. I couldn't muster a little bit of sympathy for characters. I felt sorry only for children, who were deprived of any attention of their caretaker. Thanks God, chowkidar played by (brilliant as usual) Dafoe was on charge. I felt sorry for him, that he had to deal with so many (not his) problems.

Have You seen American Honey? I saw it before TFP. Those two movie are extremly similar for me. In both cases I had feeling, the characters were ruinig their lives. Ok, their lives - their business, but don't require from me to feel a pity for them. (OMG, I'm a monster )
Yeah, most of the characters are a bunch of jerks, that's undeniable. But I think Sean Baker still presented them in such a way that made me care for them regardless, it's probably because each of them has layers of depth. He also makes his movie work as a character study, so there's a lot to appreciate, at least for me.

I have had "American Honey" in my watchlist ever since it was released, and I also heard it's similar to "The Florida Project". I'll check it out eventually.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think I have more empathy for the characters in Gook than those in either The Florida Project or American Honey, and young Simone Baker in Gook outacts any of the kids in Project. it's not a great movie but worthy of similar attention.

Sean Baker is a director who was only known to me as, that guy who made a film with an iPhone 5s, and with "The Florida Project", he definitely proves to be way more than just that.
Confused what you mean by this. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying his shooting on an iPhone made him less of a director? Again not trying to be rude just looking for some clarification. In my opinion his openness to different techniques only makes him a better filmmaker.

I'm glad you liked The Florida Project!

movies can be okay...
Confused what you mean by this. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but are you saying his shooting on an iPhone made him less of a director? Again not trying to be rude just looking for some clarification. In my opinion his openness to different techniques only makes him a better filmmaker.
You're good mate. No, I wasn't trying to delegitimise him as a director. Filming "Tangerine" via an iPhone fit incredibly well as a stylistic choice, and complimented the universe of the movie. This decision got him more recognition than ever at the time, which led to it being turned into a gimmick in the eyes of newcomers such as myself. So that's where my comment came from, since I wasn't the biggest fan of "Tangerine" (still enjoyed it though), Sean Baker was only known to me as the guy who made a movie with an iPhone.

Ah yeah, I can understand that. The headlines surrounding Tangerine do seem to all mention the iPhone, don't they? I can see why one would find it gimmicky at first. Personally I don't think Tangerine would be as good if it was shot any other way. That flick is the greatest testament to how iPhone filmmaking can benefit a film, because it is one of the key ingredients in the film's aesthetic to where it just feels like a natural extension of the story.

movies can be okay...
Ah yeah, I can understand that. The headlines surrounding Tangerine do seem to all mention the iPhone, don't they? I can see why one would find it gimmicky at first. Personally I don't think Tangerine would be as good if it was shot any other way. That flick is the greatest testament to how iPhone filmmaking can benefit a film, because it is one of the key ingredients in the film's aesthetic to where it just feels like a natural extension of the story.
Yup, it was stupid how much it was mentioned. And I agree, I would have probably disliked "Tangerine" if it was filmed in any other way, since that would probably lead to a complete change of the overall style.

movies can be okay...
Also, people definitely made it seem as if "Tangerine" was his directorial début, when in reality he has made feature films before that, which I was totally unaware of until literally today. Have you seen any of them @Swan and if so, are they any good?

Also, people definitely made it seem as if "Tangerine" was his directorial début, when in reality he has made feature films before that, which I was totally unaware of until literally today. Have you seen any of them @Swan and if so, are they any good?
I have not, but Take Out and Starlet are high up on my watchlist right now. I will let you know my thoughts when I watch them.

With your reactions to Cries and Whispers and Passion of Anna, I believe you’ll also think highly of Shame. Those are 3 of my 5 favorites from Bergman.

I thought Tenebre was ok, just ok, but still liked it even more than Deep Red or Suspiria.

I was very disappointed in Animal Kingdom on my one viewing.

movies can be okay...
With your reactions to Cries and Whispers and Passion of Anna, I believe you’ll also think highly of Shame. Those are 3 of my 5 favorites from Bergman.
Now I'm even more excited to see "Shame", hopefully it becomes a favourite of mine as well.

I thought Tenebre was ok, just ok, but still liked it even more than Deep Red or Suspiria.
Yikes. Welp that just confirms my suspicions

I was very disappointed in Animal Kingdom on my one viewing.
I'm already forgetting what this film was about.