Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

I've seen a few Shirley Temple movies over the years, but I never quite understood why she became such a big star at such a young age.
Escapism, especially the rags to riches story of the underdog making it...was big in the 1930s due to the depression. I'd guess that Shirley Temple movies took peoples minds off their worries and that's why there were so beloved.

Found and watched the first Weissmuller outing Tarzan The Ape Man...
You're a good sport! But I'll bet you won't be watching anything from my next entry

Surprised I'm just seeing this now, although I won't be that familiar with many of the names.

Of course I love Bela, and Wings was great with Clara Bow. I believe that was your nomination in the silent era HoF.
After I get past the first few actors and actress, you know the stars. I'm doing this in hopes of giving a few suggestions for the upcoming 1930s Top 100 Countdown. So I'm doing my personal favorite movie stars from the 1930s and some of their select movies.

making the comparison of Bela and Dracula with Johnny and Tarzan is right on the money. Watched 'em all as a kid as well and have not seen any since then.
Time for a revisit maybe? By far the second one Tarzan and his Mate was my favorite, probably has to do with the nude swimming scene of Jane.

I do remember that the New York adventure was a favorite at the time but that had more to do with Cheetah's antics and there was, from what I remember a pretty cool scene where Tarzan is swinging around the tension chords of the (Brooklyn?) Bridge.
Cheetah is big part of the movies, that at Tarzan's dedication to nature and the wildlife, makes him an early environmentalist.

NEWSFLASH: Chypmunk watches Shirley Temple movie
However I recently saw her in the movie Now and Forever (1934) and I thought she was kind of cute in that movie, and not too annoying.
I see what you are doing here - it won't work on me I tells ya, it won't work!
Well, I broke easily and watched this just now and have to agree that she actually wasn't too annoying in it (strong emphasis on the word 'too' in that sentence). I'm sure the song was obligatory in terms of loan/contract so I'll not hold that against the fillum but whilst it was perfectly watchable I can't say I particularly found it that memorable, loved Guy Standing's contribution though - if anyone lit the screen up it was he.

@Citizen Rules me and @Chypmunk have been big fans of this due to our 30's journeys. Please continue...
What he said
PLEASE continue!
Thanks guys! I haven't given up on this. I have been real busy with work and with working on a MoFo project, which I think will be done tonight (fingers crossed) If all goes well, I should have some time to get back to this real soon.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Thanks guys! I haven't given up on this. I have been real busy with work and with working on a MoFo project, which I think will be done tonight (fingers crossed) If all goes well, I should have some time to get back to this real soon.
SWEET!!
Thanks, CR!!!

I was thinking about doing a top 50 actors/actresses list myself with ranked performances, i actually ranked them all and did short write-ups for like 42/50. I dunno though it's all pretty weird especially the top ten and my reasons for loving them.

Looking forward to this starting again, Citizen.

My #28 Favorite 30's Actress is

Shirley Temple
Filmography Biography

Little Shirley Temple was a huge star in her time. She was Hollywood's number one box-office draw from 1935 to 1938. She's credited with single handedly saving the struggling 20th Century Fox studio. Which at the time was in financial trouble and if it hadn't been for Shirley that studio might not be here today. Her movies offered a wholesome charm and escapism for downtrodden people struggle with the Great economic depression.

As a child actor she had oodles of charm and personality. She actually made a number of films as a young adult in the late 1940s. And I've seen a few of those and she was quite good, but audiences didn't readily accept the little girl in curls as a young woman so the last film she made was in 1949 at age 21.

Some of my favorite 1930s films of Shirley Temple are:

Little Miss Marker (1934)

Bright Eyes (1934)

The Little Colonel (1935)

Curly Top (1935)

Wee Willie Winkie (1937)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shirley Temple.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	39035  

As i said i've seen none of Shirley Temple's films, will probably check a few out. Glad you've started again.
Her movies are good to watch with little kids. I think I've seen you mention watching movies with your nieces or nephews, so who knows maybe they would like one of her old movies?

My #28 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy

Stan Laurel filmography Oliver Hardy filmography

Laurel and Hardy were a comedy dynamic duo! Who each had a separate movie career back in the silent film days. Today they are always though of together and that's why I gave both a spot on the list. Some of their slapstick comedy is so over the top that one wonders how they survived making their movies with all of those anvils being dropped on their heads, ha

They made many short films in the 1930s too, easy to watch with out spending a whole lot of time to do so.

Some of their favorite movies of mine are:

The Flying Deuces (1939)

Way Out West (1937)

Babes in Toyland (1934)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy .jpg
Views:	302
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	39037  

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Holy crap, you weren't kidding!

Watched ALL kinds of Shirley Temple flicks as a kid, same goes with Laurel and Hardy shorts.
Gotta get ready for work, so I'll be on later for more detailed comments and movie lists.

Will put this one in for Shirley Temple
The Blue Bird even though it's 1940 but its one I've been wanting to revisit.

Holy crap, you weren't kidding!

Watched ALL kinds of Shirley Temple flicks as a kid, same goes with Laurel and Hardy shorts.
Gotta get ready for work, so I'll be on later for more detailed comments and movie lists.

Will put this one in for Shirley Temple
The Blue Bird even though it's 1940 but its one I've been wanting to revisit.
I seen The Blue Bird once, didn't care for it much, and I read that it didn't go over well with audiences. It might be said that, that movie was the beginning of Shirley Temple's down turn in popularity. It is an early technicolor film so that alone makes it worth watching.

Her movies are good to watch with little kids. I think I've seen you mention watching movies with your nieces or nephews, so who knows maybe they would like one of her old movies?
Might try that. My Niece and Nephew that i watch films with right now are five and one so we'll see what they think.

Always get Laurel & Hardy mixed up with Abbott & Costello. Seen a few of their shorts, don't think they are for me but i understand the love for them.

Ugh ..... Shirley bleedin' Temple.
Gbg made me watch Now And Forever only weeks ago so I'm counting this one as 'already checked off'
I've been made sit through one or two of her 'precocious stage' movies and can honestly say they're just not for me - kudos to anybody that likes 'em I just can't count myself amongst that number. To counterbalance that though she blossomed into a pretty cute young lady and imo could have become a decent enough actress so it's a shame she left the industry so early. I will actually try and fit a watch of one of her 40s movies in even though that countdown has already been and gone.

Laurel & Hardy on the other hand were staples of my childhood and I've probably seen most of theirs at one point or another but it'll be no hardship to revisit a couple over the next few days.

Ugh ..... Shirley bleedin' Temple.
Gbg made me watch Now And Forever only weeks ago so I'm counting this one as 'already checked off'
I've been made sit through one or two of her 'precocious stage' movies and can honestly say they're just not for me - kudos to anybody that likes 'em I just can't count myself amongst that number. To counterbalance that though she blossomed into a pretty cute young lady and imo could have become a decent enough actress so it's a shame she left the industry so early. I will actually try and fit a watch of one of her 40s movies in even though that countdown has already been and gone.

Laurel & Hardy on the other hand were staples of my childhood and I've probably seen most of theirs at one point or another but it'll be no hardship to revisit a couple over the next few days.
One of my all time favorite Cary Grant comedies is The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) she's pretty good in that as a young adult. Give that a go.

One of my all time favorite Cary Grant comedies is The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) she's pretty good in that as a young adult. Give that a go.
I'll have to see what's readily available. Who knows, I might even make it a double-feature if I feel in the mood