Luis' Movie Log for 2018 (excluding new releases)

→ in
Tools    

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
41. The 400 Blows (1959)

Director: Francois Truffaut

This was great! There aren't many specific aspects that I want to address, i just thought that it was an all around great film. Our young protagonist was developed so well, I got behind him as a character, I felt his lows just as effectively as I felt his highs, and I really wanted him to be happy. The film is very grounded, and it pushes a very realistic narrative forward, I was glued to the screen. I know during this period the French had a very strong impact on cinema, and it's not hard to see why this is one of the more resounding films of the list. The film is very tightly paced as well, as it is very well written and directed. And the ending was fantastic, very bittersweet, perfectly executed, kind of devastating, kind of liberating. Short review, but I have some films to catch up on lol.

SCORE - 85/100

42. Scent of a Woman (1992)

Director: Martin Brest

Al Pacino delivered an incredible performance in this 1992 Coming of Age drama; his intensity, charisma, and subtle vulnerability is unmatched. Chris O'Donnell is also an excellent counterpart as he delivered a commendable performance as well. Movies longer than 2 hours need to be damn interesting if you're going to want to keep my attention for that long, and the film definitely did its job in that department. There's so many films about two different people who don't like each other at first learning to bond, however, this particular one does establish the relationship quite nicely, even if it oftentimes feels inconsistent with the characterization. I also felt that the high school scandal story-line fractured the movie, really it would've been a much tighter film if it was centered on Al Pacino's and O'Donnell's characters, in the end, the two plot-lines didn't really merge together very well. Some of the dialogue also felt a bit on the nose, but there are some other lines I really liked so, ehhhh. Overall, very very good, getting close to great.

SCORE - 80/100

Thank you so much! I always appreciate when people go out of the way for recommendations. I'll probably get to them in the summer when I'm out of college and have more free time.
1 of those is my nomination in the HoF and Harakiri is also great.

1 of those is my nomination in the HoF and Harakiri is also great.
That's great that it's your nomination, I'll get to it sooner then. If Hakari is anything like Seven Samurai, I'll probably appreciate it more than I'll enjoy it, but we'll see.

That's great that it's your nomination, I'll get to it sooner then. If Hakari is anything like Seven Samurai, I'll probably appreciate it more than I'll enjoy it, but we'll see.
Harakiri is more like my nomination and highly recommended.

Se correr o bicho pega. Se ficar o bicho come.
41. The 400 Blows (1959)

Director: Francois Truffaut

This was great! There aren't many specific aspects that I want to address, i just thought that it was an all around great film. Our young protagonist was developed so well, I got behind him as a character, I felt his lows just as effectively as I felt his highs, and I really wanted him to be happy. The film is very grounded, and it pushes a very realistic narrative forward, I was glued to the screen. I know during this period the French had a very strong impact on cinema, and it's not hard to see why this is one of the more resounding films of the list. The film is very tightly paced as well, as it is very well written and directed. And the ending was fantastic, very bittersweet, perfectly executed, kind of devastating, kind of liberating. Short review, but I have some films to catch up on lol.

SCORE - 85/100
I felt some feelings I've got from reading The Catcher in the Rye with this movie, it was a wonderful experience.

Se correr o bicho pega. Se ficar o bicho come.
I haven't seen as much of Hitchcock as I would like, but "Dial M For Murder" will probably remain as my personal favourite from his bunch anyway. He truly is a master at building tension.
It has one of my favorite ending scenes ever in a movie. Pure class.

It has one of my favorite ending scenes ever in a movie. Pure class.
The ending is fantastic, and the plan-execution sequence is also very, very memorable, so suspenseful, chills!

43. Mary Poppins (1964)

Director: Robert Stevenson

Not going to lie, I was kind of dissapointed with this film, I was expecting this to be an all-time favorite, given how much I've enjoyed lighthearted musicals as of late, but I was just a bit underwhelmed. The movie does have its charm, absolutely it does, and I did like it, but there are some things that bothered me. First thing, oftentimes the film just felt like different sequences put together, and the progression ended up feeling pretty clunky. I also found the sequences that didn't have Julie Andrews on screen to be kind of lifeless, and at times, boring. The first 30-40 minutes were great, up into the point were Poppins introduces herself and gets to meet the children. It is always fantastic to see Julie Andrews on screen, she's probably my favorite star from the 60s, she's a huge reason why I even liked the film. The music/dance sequences are fantastic, and the story is sweet. Overall, a good movie, but given my expectations and excitement I had going in, I was dissapointed.

SCORE - 62/100

44. Suspiria (1977)

Director: Dario Argento

This gave me a similar experience to Rosemary's Baby, a film that I saw earlier in the year, and just like the latter film, this one was CHILLING. The main thing about this film that truly impressed me is how subversive it was in creating a unique atmosphere and an aesthetic that is exclusive to this film, and this film only; the color palettes, the lighting, the image correction, and the visual trickery are things that I will always now Suspiria for.

The horror in this film is also very effective, and let me just say, that the opening 10 minutes of the film are some of the most terrifying, brutal, intense and effective sequences ever put on film, it was impeccable. There are also some other sequences that were very effective, and the way Argento plays with camera and character placement, as well as lighting and shadows is very masterful; there's this particular thing he does with glowing eyes that really had me on edge. Our lead character is serviceable enough, there's nothing about her that really makes her stand out as someone super important, but she was fine. I also really liked the pacing of the film, it was never too slow, and it's relatively short runtime never really cut the tension. The final reveal and climax was pretty good as well, there are some images that, again, will be engraved in my brain. The reveal did hinder a little bit on the eeriness of the fear of the unknown that was so prevalent up until that point, but overall I can forgive some shortcomings due to film's impeccable horror presence.

SCORE - 90/100

44. Suspiria (1977)

Director: Dario Argento

This gave me a similar experience to Rosemary's Baby, a film that I saw earlier in the year, and just like the latter film, this one was CHILLING. The main thing about this film that truly impressed me is how subversive it was in creating a unique atmosphere and an aesthetic that is exclusive to this film, and this film only; the color palettes, the lighting, the image correction, and the visual trickery are things that I will always now Suspiria for.

The horror in this film is also very effective, and let me just say, that the opening 10 minutes of the film are some of the most terrifying, brutal, intense and effective sequences ever put on film, it was impeccable. There are also some other sequences that were very effective, and the way Argento plays with camera and character placement, as well as lighting and shadows is very masterful; there's this particular thing he does with glowing eyes that really had me on edge. Our lead character is serviceable enough, there's nothing about her that really makes her stand out as someone super important, but she was fine. I also really liked the pacing of the film, it was never too slow, and it's relatively short runtime never really cut the tension. The final reveal and climax was pretty good as well, there are some images that, again, will be engraved in my brain. The reveal did hinder a little bit on the eeriness of the fear of the unknown that was so prevalent up until that point, but overall I can forgive some shortcomings due to film's impeccable horror presence.

SCORE - 89/100
Nothing else to add except you forgot to mention one of the greatest soundtracks ever made.

Nothing else to add except you forgot to mention one of the greatest soundtracks ever made.
Holy $H!T I actually can't believe I forgot to mention that. Absolutely, the soundtrack was impeccable, and a eerie companion to the visuals.

45. Thelma (2017)

Director: Joachim Trier

Another wonderful film. This is one of those pictures that defies the usual tropes in storytelling and really stretches its muscles and uses its flexibility to deliver an interesting story. I really appreciated how the film had two distinctive genres blended together so seamlessly it's almost mind-boggling; one being a personal story about character relationships and mental stability, another one being a supernatural thriller with religious undertones. Only a great director can make such an outlandish atmosphere look so easy, and for that I give all my props to Trier. I really liked the protagonist, she's a character whose mental struggles and physical restraint are very easy to relate too, and her blossoming relationship evolved very well; the chemistry between both women felt very real, and very grounded. I also loved the sound in the film, or lack thereof, there are many drawn-out sequences which really got under my skin, the combination of strange visuals, intense flashes, and lack of sound really made this a memorable experience. By the time the film started to reach the climax, I was extremely gripped. Top it all off with an subtle, yet explosive conclusion, and we got ourselves a winner!

SCORE - 86/100

46. The Princess Bride (1987)

Director: Bob Reiner

I enjoyed watching this movie so, so much. It was so appropriately fast paced, I was pretty surprised I was even invested in the characters. This film moves 100 miles an hour, but for a movie whose wits and charm propel an otherwise exciting story forward, it was such an appropriate blend. I was so charmed and I laughed consistently, and the scene depicted above had me in stitches. The central romance established was very effective, yet, I'm dumbfounded as to why I was even able to grow attached to the connection, if we barely spent any time with them. I would've still liked to have seen more of them before the film's wheels were set in motion, but given the kind of attitude the film has, I was satisfied. I can see this becoming a favorite with every re-watch. Overall, I was so charmed by this film, this would probably become one of those I would watch to smile.

SCORE - 87/100