→ in
Tools    

I really want to see Isle of Dogs.

Did you watch Ready Player One in 3D?
Nah. Not a fan of 3D.

I really want to see Isle of Dogs.

Did you watch Ready Player One in 3D?
Nah. Not a fan of 3D.
I hate 3D myself, and accidentally went to it in 3D. When I found out it was 3D I was so mad I threw my 3D glasses away. Then it started and I grabbed another pair, and dude it was the best mistake ever. The 3D was amazing. It was the first time I was ever impressed by 3D.

Again, been some time so I won't get all fancy.

Love, Simon (2018) -

Falls into cliches way too much but also gets very emotionally riveting after the mid-point. It's trying to be John Hughes like so many modern high school flicks are, but at least this one's more subtle about it.

The Departed (2006) -

The first time I saw this I was bored out of my mind and hated it. This time, I loved it. Weird how that happens.

Blockers (2018) -

Pretty funny, especially because of John Cena, who is terrific. But also not anywhere as great as some are making it out to be.

Truth or Dare (2018) -

Don't let the rating fool you. This movie is OUTSTANDING.

Friday the 13th: The Beginning (1985) -

One of my fave Friday the 13th flicks and also one of the most hated. But it is so bonkers at times. Gotta love it.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) -

A little more polished and definitely good, with a great Carrie angle. I wish they just made Carrie vs. Jason though, because that would be amazing. Imagine this movie except the mom is the mom from Carrie. Biggest complaint is the kills suck thanks the MPAA chopping up this movie more than Jason chops limbs.

Truth or Dare (2018) -

Bumped my rating up slightly but don't let that sway you, this movie is AWFUL.

The Others (2001) -

Does a twist ending right because it makes you reevaluate the rest of the film and see it in a new, better light. Rewatching it knowing the ending makes the film incredibly tragic and haunting.

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981) -

Jason is dead, right? So why is he a dead kid in the first one, and all of the sudden a dead grown-up in this one? And if he's dead, why did he become zombie Jason in the later entries? I demand answers or else this series isn't the masterwork of realism I thought it was.

You Were Never Really Here (2017) -

This enigmatic neo-noir could be said to be a blend of Taxi Driver, Chinatown, and Good Time through an ambiguous lens, but the truth is the film is it's own beast. Not least of all due to Ramsay's f*cking phenomenal visually poetic directing, but also Phoenix's gut-wrenching performance (the finest modern-day actor no doubt in my opinion), and Greenwood's haunting score - in which he goes full John Cage. My new favorite film of last year.

Welcome to the human race...
The fact that You Were Never Really Here still has nothing close to a release date here really has me heated. I won't be surprised if it just heads straight to video.

Another glowing review of YWNRH. Ugh. So jealous.

I'm working on making arrangements to see it. One of my friends really wants to see it too and I found a theater in a town about 35 minutes away that has it. Now just gotta work out when we can go.

A Quiet Place -

There might be a lot of naysayers about this one soon, but I aint one of them. I loved this film. A Quiet Place beautifully blends a monster b-movie feel with something that has a little more substance, but it never feels pretentious about it and in fact the ending is basically Krasinski owning that b-movie quality. So happy to see some more great work from the Office alumni. I think Emily Blunt is better for Jim than Pam.

For sure. I'm personally a fan of Soderbergh myself, so that added to the experience. But you're right. Sean Baker, Michel Gondry, Chan-Wook Park and Soderbergh have all made movies with an iPhone (though with Gondry and Park they were shorts). Zack Snyder did too (also a short and one of the best iPhone shorts made so far on a purely visual level), though he's a bit more polarizing. I definitely think the format has a lot to offer, and these established directors are proving that. There will obviously be naysayers, but there are naysayers about everything. For me, personally, the draw is simply the fun I have with the format. Honestly, whatever format makes me the most enthusiastic as a filmmaker, that's the format I want to pursue. I am okay with DSLR but don't get very enthusiastic using it. I can see myself loving film. I particularly love the look of Super 16mm film.

The good thing is, I don't have to stick to one format for the rest of my life. For now, I'm going to use my iPhone, but it's what is inspiring me most. Another positive for me is because iPhone filmmaking is in it's infancy, it will probably only get better.
Hipstamatic has a nice in app purchase for vid and I am assuming you have filmic pro? Ghost Bird used to make KitCam, which is phenomenal, but I believe the newer 7.whatever update rendered it obsolete with new signatures so unless you already have it, it's dead. So many great tools for the iphone. I'm making a film today with it. Have fun!

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I tend to enjoy the Friday the 13th Sequels up into the 7th one, with exception to the third one, which is awful. Part 5 is so bad, and so campy, that I enjoy it so much. They're not horror masterpieces in my opinion, but hell I have a blast watching them, number 4 is my favorite. Really looking forward to Truth or Dare as I've heard (and your feelings seem to fuel this as well) that it's so bad, it's enjoyable. I need to watch You were never really there, your review is definitely encouraging.

Hipstamatic has a nice in app purchase for vid and I am assuming you have filmic pro? Ghost Bird used to make KitCam, which is phenomenal, but I believe the newer 7.whatever update rendered it obsolete with new signatures so unless you already have it, it's dead. So many great tools for the iphone. I'm making a film today with it. Have fun!
Yeah I use Filmic Pro. Kind of the staple but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. I am just used to the interface at this point. I also have Guerrilla Filmmaker which is a cool app and very capable too (and cheaper). That's awesome that you're making a film today, hope it goes well!

Yeah I use Filmic Pro. Kind of the staple but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. I am just used to the interface at this point. I also have Guerrilla Filmmaker which is a cool app and very capable too (and cheaper). That's awesome that you're making a film today, hope it goes well!
Filmic gives you control but then again so does some other great ones like pro shot and filmborn..all about that UI. Thanks. I'll post it here when it's done!

Atomic Blonde -

(David Leitch, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Really loved this stylish action flick. By one of the dudes who made John Wick, and this one is so much better - I say that as a Keanu fan!

Avengers: Infinity War -

(Russo Brothers, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

My rating for this one could be anywhere between 3 and 4.5. Marvel just really went bonkers with this one. I loved the scope but also realize it's a total mess that a lot of people won't understand if they haven't seen the other ones. But there was plenty of good spectacle to behold, and I think it's the best MCU film thus far by a long shot. Fantastic final few shots.

The Rider -

(Chloé Zhao, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Over the course of the weeks I saw these, The Rider just... stuck with me. I'm not sure I was expecting it to, but I'm also not surprised. It's a hard gut-punch. Zhao is a treasure to look out for, and a master of utilizing untrained actors. Most of all I appreciated the thematic unconventionality, which I won't spoil but will say that if there is any message to take from this film, it might be a bittersweet one. Alas, as of this moment this is my favorite of these recent film watches.

Tully -

(Jason Reitman, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Most of this is really, really phenomenal. There is a moment at the end that absolutely took me out of the film and while I get what they were going for it lessened the film quite a bit for me. Still, most of it is fantastic!

Let the Sunshine In -

(Claire Denis, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

Seems to be a bit divisive, this one. I don't have much to say, but I did like it.

Deadpool 2 -

(David Leitch, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

There is a great film in here... but it's damaged heavily by the obnoxious sense of humor that was in the first one as well. I laughed maybe twice. But that's what I'm saying. I know Deadpool is a humorous guy but I also think that humor could have been approached differently.

I think I'd say about the same for Infinity War - I'd hesitate to call it the best, but I do respect how they handled the ending (slate of upcoming movies be damned). Atomic Blonde and Deadpool 2 were both pretty disappointing, though - the former gets too bogged down in convoluted spy intrigue for its own good while the latter is, well, a Deadpool movie (though I'd hoped that it would improve on the original but that optimism didn't last too long), plus the action in either case is not that impressive anyway.

Definitely interested in checking out the rest.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I haven't heard of let the sunshine in. I love her and I like the look of the plot.

Disobedience -

(Sebastián Lelio, 2017)

[NEW WATCH]

I overrated this after I first saw it, because the craft and performances are superb - plus, the added theme of faith being tied in was interesting, I thought. But we've seen a lot of this before. That said I still liked it quite a lot.

Solo: A Star Wars Story -

(Ron Howard, 2018)

[NEW WATCH]

Pretty annoying in it's blandness. Never reaches any interesting heights, isn't that fun, and adds some really stupid, unnecessary lore - like how Han got his last name. CRINGE.

Deadpool 2 -

(David Leitch, 2018)

[REWATCH]

So weird how a switch can flip in your head. At least, in mine. I went to see this a second time and just loved it. The humor finally clicked, I appreciated the script and directing, and especially the heart of the film. Dunno what happened. But I love Deadpool now.

Deadpool 2 -

(David Leitch, 2018)

[REWATCH]

...so much that I saw it a third time. Domino is my fave character.

Mission: Impossible -

(Brian De Palma, 1996)

[NEW WATCH]

Pretty glorious spy flick with added De Palma suave. Been meaning to see the first three, so now I am. In fact, I'm watching them all in prep for the new one, which looks great.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@Swan, you don't exist for me now, bro. You've become a mainstream popcorn eating viewer! You... you're just a chicken! CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP CHEEEEP
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I like how even this supposed mainstream popcorn viewer still doesn't rate Solo (which I'd also give a
, but then again that's the same rating I'd give Deadpool 2). The original M:I is pretty respectable as far as popcorn movies go, though.