Dark animated film about a horse?

Tools    

I'm looking for a film I saw as a very young child, which I can only remember a few details of. It's about a horse that was sold from its farm to a meat or glue factory (can't remember which), and the other animals team up to visit the city to try to rescue it. I remember it was in an unusual animation style (maybe similar in style to The Triplets of Belleville) and was pretty dark and disturbing at times. It would probably have been from the early 90s or maybe 80s, and I'm pretty sure it was in English though I guess it could have been a dub.

Animal Farm (1954)?

I cannot post links but the complete movie is at youtube.

I was thinking Animal Farm as well, based on the novel by George Orwell.

The plot however is a little different from you memory. The leaders of the farm--the pigs--sell one of the horses for slaughter. They deny that they have done so. The whole thing is a parable about Stalinism.

I know Animal Farm very well and I’m afraid it’s not that. Boxer being taken away is just a small part of AF but the film I saw revolves around the other animals travelling to the city in order to save their friend

Could it be a version of Black Beauty?

I remember there WAS a pretty dark animated version of it that used stories from the original book the other movies didn't, and one of the stories it used was that of one of the older horses being taken to the glue factory.

That story from the book's lived with me my entire life!

Chris.