SAG Awards for Film 2022

Tools    

The nominees in the feature film categories for the upcoming 28th Screen Actors Guild Awards are...

BEST CAST
Belfast
CODA
Don't Look Up
House of Gucci
King Richard

BEST LEADING ACTOR
Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick...Boom!
Will Smith, King Richard
Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

BEST LEADING ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
Jennifer Hudson, Respect
Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Ben Affleck, The Tender Bar
Bradley Cooper, Licorice Pizza
Tony Kotsur, CODA
Jared Leto, House of Gucci
Kodi Smit-McPhee, The Power of the Dog

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Caitríona Balfe, Belfast
Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
Ruth Negga, Passing

BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE
Black Widow
Dune
The Matrix Resurrections
No Time to Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Winners to be announced February 27th, 2022.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There were quite a few surprises and snubs here. I was very surprised that Kristen Stewart didn't get nominated for Spencer. She was the best lead actress of last year. I also thought West Side Story should have gotten a nomination for best ensemble. Very surprised that House of Gucci got nominated for ensemble. I'm happy that CODA, Don't Look Up and King Richard got nominated for ensemble. I'm not sure now who is going to win ensemble or actress. I think Will Smith will win actor, Kodi Smit-McPhee wins supporting actor and Ariana DeBose wins supporting actress. What are your thoughts and predictions?

my predictions

BEST CAST
Belfast
CODA
Don't Look Up
House of Gucci
King Richard

BEST LEADING ACTOR
Javier Bardem, Being the Ricardos
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick...Boom!
Will Smith, King Richard
Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth

BEST LEADING ACTRESS
Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
Jennifer Hudson, Respect
Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Tony Kotsur, CODA

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Caitríona Balfe, Belfast
Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
Kirsten Dunst, The Power of the Dog
Ruth Negga, Passing

BEST STUNT ENSEMBLE
Black Widow
Dune
The Matrix Resurrections
No Time to Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

The winners in the six film categories were CODA for Best Cast, Will Smith (King Richard) for Best Actor, Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye) for Best Actress, Tony Kotsur (CODA) for Best Supporting Actor, Ariana DeBose (West Side Story) for Best Supporting Actress, and No Time To Die as the Best Stunt Ensemble.

Interestingly enough, the two (alleged) Oscar frontrunners The Power of the Dog and Belfast got shut out. I'm still thinking The Power of the Dog will win best picture though.

As for what it all means for Oscar odds, the four individual winners should all be considered favorites now to repeat for the Academy. The SAG is not an absolute guarantee for a win, but they match much more often than not in these four categories. For Best Actor the two awards have matched in nine of the last eleven years, for Best Actress eight of the last eleven, and for the two Supporting categories both have hit in ten of the last eleven years.

As for Best Cast, some try to link it as an equivalent of Best Picture. It is not. Not in spirit nor intent and certainly not as a predictor. In the twenty-six previous years the Screen Actors Guild has given the award, their choice for Cast has matched Oscar's Picture only twelve times. Less than half just plain stinks as a predictor. And in the last five years the two awards have matched only once: Parasite. In three of those four misses the eventual Oscar Best Picture winner wasn't even a SAG nominee for Best Cast (Nomadland, Green Book, and The Shape of Water). If the odds-on favorite The Power of the Dog does in fact win Best Picture that trend will continue since despite the four individual nominees (Cumberbatch, Dunst, Plemons, and Smith-McPhee) being mirrored by both awards The Power of the Dog was somehow not one of the nominees for Best Cast.

The long list of SAG's Best Cast winners that did not win Best Picture are Apollo 13, The Birdcage, The Full Monty, Traffic, Gosford Park, Sideways, Little Miss Sunshine, Inglourious Basterds, The Help, American Hustle, Hidden Figures, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Black Panther, and The Trial of the Chicago 7. We'll see next month if CODA joins them.

I haven't seen CODA yet. Hopefully it's an entertaining film, unlike The Power of the Dog.

I'm glad Will Smith is the frontrunner for the Oscar and is winning all the awards for Best Actor so far. Long overdue. He should have won it for The Pursuit of Happyness.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

I'm glad Will Smith is the frontrunner for the Oscar and is winning all the awards for Best Actor so far. Long overdue. He should have won it for The Pursuit of Happyness.
Over Forest Whitaker's Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland? Nah. I actually would have given it to Ryan Golsing's work in Half Nelson, but Whitaker was wonderful. I'd rank Smith a distant third in that Oscar heat (which also included Peter O'Toole for Venus and Leo DiCaprio for Blood Diamond).

Over Forest Whitaker's Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland? Nah. I actually would have given it to Ryan Golsing's work in Half Nelson, but Whitaker was wonderful. I'd rank Smith a distant third in that Oscar heat (which also included Peter O'Toole for Venus and Leo DiCaprio for Blood Diamond).

That was a very good year for male performances I would have gone

1. Peter O'Toole, Venus
2. Hugh Jackman, The Prestige
3. Urich Muhe, The Lives of Others
4. Forrest Whittaker, The Last King of Scotland
5. Matt Damon, The Good Shepherd
6. Matt Damon, The Departed
7. Leonardo Dicaprio, The Departed
8. Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
9. Hugh Jackman, The Fountain
10. WIll Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness

my predictions

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Tony Kotsur, CODA
Glad to see Kotsur won this...he's my choice for the Oscar too.

That was a very good year for male performances I would have gone

1. Peter O'Toole, Venus
2. Hugh Jackman, The Prestige
3. Urich Muhe, The Lives of Others
4. Forrest Whittaker, The Last King of Scotland
5. Matt Damon, The Good Shepherd
6. Matt Damon, The Departed
7. Leonardo Dicaprio, The Departed
8. Ryan Gosling, Half Nelson
9. Hugh Jackman, The Fountain
10. WIll Smith, The Pursuit of Happyness
I think bale was more impressive that huge ackman in prestige