Ozark

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I believe I am on the eighth episode of Ozark, while I really enjoy Jason Bateman as an actor, and think he's a perfect fit for this type of character, I found the show itself to be rather ho-hum. I don't find myself really caring very much about all the moving cogs and find that it often moves very fast, but I never really feel invested into where it's headed. It has good in it, but I don't think every really found the rhythm or means to dignify itself as great. I've heard a lot of comparisons to Breaking Bad, a series, for which, I consider myself a big supporter of, but I find that, beside the initial surface similarities, the shows feel very different from one another, and as a fan of Breaking Bad, I did not find myself to be a fan of Ozark.

Finished it last night. The Finale was a stunning piece of TV. It's not going to be on a par with The Sopranos, The Wire etc. The bodycount is large, and there are some WTF moments. But as a piece of fast moving, entertaining tv it does the job.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've heard a lot of comparisons to Breaking Bad, a series, for which, I consider myself a big supporter of, but I find that, beside the initial surface similarities, the shows feel very different from one another, and as a fan of Breaking Bad, I did not find myself to be a fan of Ozark.
Yeah I actually said quite early on it;s nothing like BB. Chalk and cheese with some drugs and money thrown in.

My gf wanted to watch this so we just watched the first episode. Solid start, nothing amazing but very few shows are right away. Big fan of Bateman and i think Laura Linney is one of the best working actresses. Will probably finish this over the next week or so.

Episode two was solid again. Not 100% on board yet. Think it's mainly shaking the image of Michael Bluth and just Arrested Development in general. The part when he buys the five catfish and the guy asks "aren't you going fishing?" "well now i've got a good head start" was a total Arrested Development bit to me haha, felt weird that we didn't hear the music and Ron Howards narration. Should be able to get over that though, same sort of thing has happened with other shows. It's also that he is kinda like Michael so far, the first two episodes are basically him floating about fixing his family and colleagues mistakes just under a serious tone and with actual consequences.

Ewww. Anyone for a friday eve (sat morn) cocktail?

WARNING: spoilers below
Now that Del is history, it will be very interesting to see which badass actor gets to play his boss, the head honcho of the cartel.

Question about the bobcats - why did redneck psycho chic want them to have tackle?
The brothers bought the bobcats to breed them. They were so dumb they bought two females. Ruth immediately saw that.

Good time to start a rewatch.

My wife found this today and we're going to start it. I have always liked Bateman and the synopsis is very appealing to me. I'm not going to read through the thread yet.

My wife found this today and we're going to start it. I have always liked Bateman and the synopsis is very appealing to me. I'm not going to read through the thread yet.
Enjoy, Cricket.

3 episodes in. I like it and my wife likes it more. I do think it's pretty dumb with average to mediocre acting. I can't picture it getting great but I think I'll enjoy the whole season.

I was the opposite - probably the first time I've liked Linney, and really took notice of Bateman who I really liked in this. Liked the kids as well, and Esai Morales. Infact I didnt have an issue with any of them. Hope you both continue liking it.

The main actors are mostly fine but I think some of the supporting performances are lacking; the Feds, rednecks, real estate agent, etc.
Yeah I really liked Julia Garner (redneck chick) and cant remember which episode is a reveal so I'll reserve for later, and also really liked Jason Butler Harner who is one of the feds, but no one else stands out as super good or bad to me which is a good thing for my viewing. Mother redneck was pretty good I thought. Looking forward to see where season 2 goes.

This might just do nobody any good.
I watched a bit of this. My dad was really into it but all I could think was that Peter Mullan was playing his exact same character as Top of the Lake.

It might be a while before I give this a serious go. I got The Crown to finish up and i don’t get to sit down and commit to shows during Christmas/New Year’s.

I hvent seen TofL yet so dont know how they compare.

I watched episode 1 again just for the flying scene. Ouch.