The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Yea, I must agree on Let the Right One In and Kill Bill Vol. 1. I am late to the guess party, as usual!

Now, bring on the next 2 films from a terrible decade I can besmirch and/or ridicule... Or, more likely, just say I haven't seen.
It's like I'm psychic or something? I haven't seen them.

Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation was all the way up at #7 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium List while Polanski's The Pianist moves up five spots from its #36 position.
And look how happy he is about that? Moved to tears.

New and improved percentage totals! Not getting better...

My Ballot:  

Have seen so far: 37/ 71
Put on list for future viewing: 11
My list that ended up on the cutting room floor (dammit!): 6
Put on "meh" list : 18
Zero chance of ever watching: 11
1 Ptrs: seen 8

202 points, 15 lists
Hot Fuzz
Director

Edgar Wright, 2007

Starring

Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Jim Broadbent, Paddy Considine

208 points, 17 lists
Let the Right One In
Director

Tomas Alfredson, 2008

Starring

Kåre Hedebrant, Lina Leandersson, Per Ragnar, Henrik Dahl

Hot Fuzz and Let the Right One In are both fantastic films and deserving entries on the list. Although neither made my ballot, both are
for me.

Hot Fuzz? Strange entry although never seen it
It’s freaking amazing!

One of the best comedies ever made and peak Edgar Wright. The script is so tightly packed with jokes and subtle little details that I still discover new things even on my fifth watch or whatever I’m on…

It’s hilarious, but most importantly, it’s clever. The humor demands your attention. It demands your presence. It’s not like American comedies filled with dick jokes. This is actually well written, well structured jokes, delivered like only the British can. Beautiful.

Hot Fuzz was my #4

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hot Fuzz is really funny but I eliminated it pretty quickly.

Even though Let the Right One In is semi-blood-soaked, the heart and soul of it is the tentative, but tender relationship between two outsider loners who are allowed to feel comfortable with themselves while spending time with each other. The snowbound Swedish landscape is also an important "character" in the film. Allegedly, the title of this film comes from a Morrissey song about letting the right one into your heart, but I prefer to extend that to let the right vampire into your home so that being can get in and stay in your heart. it remains the most-original, evocative horror flick of the 2000s. Cut it from my list near the end.

A system of cells interlinked
Color me surprised. I never even considered Hot Fuzz as something that would make this list.

Meanwhile, Let the Right One In was my #12. Something must have happened as I was putting my final list together, as I like The Descent more than this film, but somehow managed to place it 2 spots lower. If I redid my list today, I would swap those two flicks. That said, Let the Right One In is fantastic, and one of the best modern horror films ever made.

Hot Fuzz? WTF? I haven't seen it and have no desire to see it but I had no idea it was this loved on the forum.

I've seen Let the Right One In twice and twice I didn't care for it.

Hot Fuzz, what in the heck is that? Never even heard of it, it sounds like an Adam Sandler movie.

Let the Right One In was one of PahaK better HoF noms, I respected it and see why it's loved.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who knows me even a little that Let the Right One In was my #1. It was at the top of my Foreign ballot and #3 on my All-Time ballot. On this decade list, no other movie threatened its position. The best vampire film ever made, and an excellent bleak coming-of-age story. A perfect blend of horror, drama, and romance.

I haven't seen Hot Fuzz.

Seen: 34/72

My Ballot:
1. Let the Right One In (2008) [#29]
5. Watchmen (2009) [#87]
8. The Descent (2005) [#80]
18. Battle Royale (2000) [#77]
25. Harry Brown (2009) [1-pointer]

Hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Blood, blood everywhere (both films deal with blood and violence)
Guns, stabs, bites (HF with guns, LTROI with bites)
You can lay low (reference to characters hiding, taking cover in both)
or knock my door at nights (very direct reference to LTROI)

Outside is cold (reference to the climate in LTROI)
Inside is not (not cold = Hot, get it?)
I'll keep you safe (both films deal with protection, but specifically LTROI)
Just don't get caught (both films have characters trying not to get caught)

Whether by pool (reference to the climax in LTROI)
or up the steeple (and the one in HF, where a character gets impaled in a miniature steeple)
It's full of blood (both scenes are full of blood)
From many people (in LTROI, from many people)

Reply to Topic