R.I.P. Sidney Poitier

Tools    

To Sir With Love has been a dearly loved film by me for most of my life.

And while I'm not a great fan of Norman Jewison's work, Poitier is great in Heat, even if I'm mixed on the actual movie.

Steiger and Poitier are both so dynamite in this--the heat just crackles between them--that I still give the movie a pass. But I just find everything Jewison touches to be profoundly flat and undynamic, even when his leads are generating this kind of electricity.

It's almost certainly his best movie though... of what I've seen.

The trick is not minding
Steiger and Poitier are both so dynamite in this--the heat just crackles between them--that I still give the movie a pass. But I just find everything Jewison touches to be profoundly flat and undynamic, even when his leads are generating this kind of electricity.

It's almost certainly his best movie though... of what I've seen.
I agree with a lot of what you have said here. I’m not a huge fan of Jewison either, although I’m a little less enamored with Steigers slight over acting in Heat, it does come together pretty well at the end. I’d probably agree with it being his best film, as well, from what I have seen of his.

Edit: actually, that would be Moonstruck as his best.

Yeah, he was up in years, but it's still sad to mark the man's passing. So many great films that he did, and so many that I still want to see. I love In the Heat of the Night but To Sir, With Love is still my favorite of his that I've seen and one of my favorite all-timers as well. Godspeed, Sidney.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
He was in so many great movies. I just rewatched Guess Who's Coming to Dinner a few days ago. He was an amazing actor, and a classy person.

R.I.P.

The skill of Poitier I think is about as close as America will ever come to a Shakespearian actor.

Dude was gifted. Great actor, fantastic human being.

Repoze anpè, mesye.