Fatal Attraction (1987)

→ in
Tools    

The erotic thriller genre is where this starts, 1987, we get a hollywood release if this film
A romantic drama turning into a thriller that everyone likes and enjoys
After a few rewatches, u see how good this movie is.
A married man meeting a woman who he gets attracted to and gets involved while she grows conscience and she wants to be in his life, things go hectic when micheal douglas refuses and shuts her off while still being attracted to her.
The cinematography here works great and the camera work gives that uneasy feel that something bad is gonna happen at every move, thing is you really feel for glenn close s character, i mean what would happen to any girl who gets attached after sleeping with a guy she likes, not saying that it happens a lot, it depends on the girl in the end, if she s serious or not, you can t blame a serious girl who wants to take the next step with a man and then being refused for whatever reason, but here you know micheal douglas s character isn t attracted anymore to his wife and his sexual fantasies are all focused on his lover( Close)
It s a kind of dilemma , but anyway, this is what being unfaithful is all about.
Brilliantly directed by Adrian Lyn, we get our first erotic thriller /drama romance thriller in a series of films that starts with this film and ends around 1993 with Dino De Laurentis's Body of evidence.
Have your say

"How tall is King Kong ?"
[url=https://ibb.co/YXPrHQh]
The erotic thriller genre is where this starts, 1987,
But Body Heat is from 1981. And De Palma was kinda spamming them since the 70s (with Body Double itself in 1984).

Yeah but i guess u should suspend disbelief with how did she manage to get the rabbit and fo inside the house.....

But Body Heat is from 1981. And De Palma was kinda spamming them since the 70s (with Body Double itself in 1984).
The trend started with fatal attraction, with Body heat being the odd exception, the other films were just thrillers and not of the erotic genre.

Yeah but i guess u should suspend disbelief with how did she manage to get the rabbit and fo inside the house.....

I don't care about those kinds of things. Fatal Attractions positive qualities pay no mind to realism. It's a paranoid, hysterical psycho-sexual horrorshow. The more absurd it gets the better it is.

The trend started with fatal attraction, with Body heat being the odd exception, the other films were just thrillers and not of the erotic genre.
Nah. Not even just Body Heat, but several early-mid-80s erotic thrillers, with much of the same style - blue night lighting, constant smoke machine diffusion, saxophones and synths, gauzy-filtered sex scenes. Attraction wasn't even Glenn Close's first erotic thriller, with Eszterhas' Jagged Edge a couple of years prior. Even No Way Out was released months before Attraction. There's a whole thread from a few days ago on 80s thrillers with maybe a dozen titles that pre-date Attraction. The basis for claiming Fatal Attraction as a precedent is its supposed respectability, with Oscar nods, huge box office and stuff. It's when this kind of erotic thriller could no longer be ignored.

Fatal Attractions positive qualities pay no mind to realism. It's a paranoid, hysterical psycho-sexual horrorshow. The more absurd it gets the better it is.
As long as we can agree that the film is super absurd. I'm not a fan myself, and that's probably because of the supposed respectability I mentioned above. I can think of about ten other films from 1987 that coulda shoulda had its Oscar slot. It's a ridiculous piece of sensational sexual hysteria. Maybe if the film flew under the radar, I could appreciate it in a Showgirls kind of way. But I think Adrian Lyne is a trash filmmaker (except maybe Jacob's Ladder) who basically does Zalman King-level sexy melodrama for booger sugar boomers. Or basically the quintessential Michael Douglas vehicle.

IMO, the glory of Fatal Attraction comes from a realistic first-half of a simple secret affair with an obsessive woman that turns into something psychotic based on that small chance that your affair is a nutcase. The realism it plays with paired with Close's acting made it a 9.5 in my book.

The erotic thriller genre is where this starts, 1987, we get a hollywood release if this film
A romantic drama turning into a thriller that everyone likes and enjoys
After a few rewatches, u see how good this movie is.
A married man meeting a woman who he gets attracted to and gets involved while she grows conscience and she wants to be in his life, things go hectic when micheal douglas refuses and shuts her off while still being attracted to her.
The cinematography here works great and the camera work gives that uneasy feel that something bad is gonna happen at every move, thing is you really feel for glenn close s character, i mean what would happen to any girl who gets attached after sleeping with a guy she likes, not saying that it happens a lot, it depends on the girl in the end, if she s serious or not, you can t blame a serious girl who wants to take the next step with a man and then being refused for whatever reason, but here you know micheal douglas s character isn t attracted anymore to his wife and his sexual fantasies are all focused on his lover( Close)
It s a kind of dilemma , but anyway, this is what being unfaithful is all about.
Brilliantly directed by Adrian Lyn, we get our first erotic thriller /drama romance thriller in a series of films that starts with this film and ends around 1993 with Dino De Laurentis's Body of evidence.
Have your say
My review of the film:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...ttraction.html

Nah. Not even just Body Heat, but several early-mid-80s erotic thrillers, with much of the same style - blue night lighting, constant smoke machine diffusion, saxophones and synths, gauzy-filtered sex scenes. Attraction wasn't even Glenn Close's first erotic thriller, with Eszterhas' Jagged Edge a couple of years prior. Even No Way Out was released months before Attraction. There's a whole thread from a few days ago on 80s thrillers with maybe a dozen titles that pre-date Attraction. The basis for claiming Fatal Attraction as a precedent is its supposed respectability, with Oscar nods, huge box office and stuff. It's when this kind of erotic thriller could no longer be ignored.

As long as we can agree that the film is super absurd. I'm not a fan myself, and that's probably because of the supposed respectability I mentioned above. I can think of about ten other films from 1987 that coulda shoulda had its Oscar slot. It's a ridiculous piece of sensational sexual hysteria. Maybe if the film flew under the radar, I could appreciate it in a Showgirls kind of way. But I think Adrian Lyne is a trash filmmaker (except maybe Jacob's Ladder) who basically does Zalman King-level sexy melodrama for booger sugar boomers. Or basically the quintessential Michael Douglas vehicle.
Sorry but jagged edge is no erotic thriller, it s a courtroom drama with a way too conservative sex scene

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I was really liking Fatal Attraction up until the ending.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
I felt that maybe they could have come up with something more cerebral, rather than settle of the whole defending themselves from a monster/slasher, type ending perhaps?

But also, I didn't like how the wife was the one to shoot the antagonist. The way it was done while closing up on the wife's face and the look on her her face just felt off to me. It feels like the filmmakers were trying to send the message, "don't my with my man!" type ending. When really it was all the man's fault, so I feel it should have been him to kill her, as it was his mess to clean up and if there is anyone to feel guilty about having to clean it up, it should have been him, and not her therefore.

So I felt the ending kind of maybe screwed up somewhat, to what is otherwise a great movie, unless it's just me? I did also see the original deleted ending as well, but that one felt anticlimatic to me as well.

Sorry but jagged edge is no erotic thriller, it s a courtroom drama with a way too conservative sex scene
Look at this coitus cop.

Duplicate Account (locked)

I felt that maybe they could have come up with something more cerebral, rather than settle of the whole defending themselves from a monster/slasher, type ending perhaps?

But also, I didn't like how the wife was the one to shoot the antagonist. The way it was done while closing up on the wife's face and the look on her her face just felt off to me. It feels like the filmmakers were trying to send the message, "don't my with my man!" type ending. When really it was all the man's fault, so I feel it should have been him to kill her, as it was his mess to clean up and if there is anyone to feel guilty about having to clean it up, it should have been him, and not her therefore.

So I felt the ending kind of maybe screwed up somewhat, to what is otherwise a great movie, unless it's just me? I did also see the original deleted ending as well, but that one felt anticlimatic to me as well.

WARNING: spoilers below
Seems rather perfectionist since the gist of your critique is a single camera shot...based on what you're saying, it actually should be the female character who cleans up since the nuerotic trope [of mothers] is silently maintaining the family.'I guess going your way the movie could have ended in a murder suicide

How would you would have liked the movie to end?

Look at this coitus cop.
Yes i am genre police xd

I think the ending said that his wife still cared for him even after all that. Besides, I don't think Fatal Attraction requires such a deep meaning for a movie building itself on a very common human action: an affair gone wrong. The only thing movie-esque about the movie is that this affair ended up being that ONE psycho, which is entirely plausible despite its unlikeliness, which is what makes the movie work.