Coronavirus

Tools    

So, let's dare a daring hypothesis. Catching the Covid and surviving it is like getting one shot of vaccine. The omicron variant is super contagious. If the omicron variant is also super feeble in its effect (to what extent?), doesn't it count like a self-replicating self-spreading vaccine ?
I've heard this idea floated, yeah; the idea that if you're vaccinated (which seems to all but guarantee your symptoms will be manageable), it might actually be better, in a sense, to get it, since the immunity it provides is stronger.

Immunology is wild stuff, regardless.

I've heard that it's somewhat less deadly than the original covid virus.
Since C-19 is unique, it's difficult to predict exactly how it will behave.

But, following the patterns of other viruses; the subsequent variants (mutations) tend to grow weaker with each new one.

This is what happened with the Spanish Flu - it never just "disappeared" as some historians report, but rather it mutated & weakened, eventually becoming indistinguishable from the various seasonal flus - which themselves can still be deadly for some, but have been manageable for society (something the current administration seems to think - or seems to intend - will never be possible - or allowed to be possible - with C-19).

Since C-19 is unique, it's difficult to predict exactly how it will behave.

But, following the patterns of other viruses; the subsequent variants (mutations) tend to grow weaker with each new one.

This is what happened with the Spanish Flu - it never just "disappeared" as some historians report, but rather it mutated & weakened, eventually becoming indistinguishable from the various seasonal flus - which themselves can still be deadly for some, but have been manageable for society...
Evolution. The more deadlier strains of a virus will quickly kill off the host thus not having the chance to reproduce themselves in the population. While the less deadlier strains can spread further because the host isn't killed, but acts like a viral dispersal agent. Eventually the deadliest strains become rare while the mild strains become common.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I've heard this idea floated, yeah; the idea that if you're vaccinated (which seems to all but guarantee your symptoms will be manageable), it might actually be better, in a sense, to get it, since the immunity it provides is stronger.

Immunology is wild stuff, regardless.
I know there's been at least one (at least one!!!!!) optimistic scientist arguing that pandemics tend to die out with the apparition of fast-spreading but less dangerous strains [I mean, explicitly considering the omicron as an encouraging sign of this evolution]. But I don't follow covid news very closely, so I don't know if this counts as the one scientist saying that climate change is a hoax and that water molecules memorize everything they see. Especially given the political stakes of omicron (with South African doctors arguing that the north was overreacting). Discourses are too muddled by the usual imbecile biases - political identity, nationalism, money, etc.

Still, the best chance for this pandemic to end, given the population's unwillingness to use the tools of epidemiology and virology, would clearly be the spread of an innocuous virus, carrying antigens sufficiently similar to the rest of this coronavirus' variants. If omicron doesn't turn out to be it, let's (paradoxically) hope for a mutation that would.

Even though we know that even the common flu, which isn't generally considered alarming, induces its own share of deaths. And that no natural version of a virus would be truly harmless.

You ready? You look ready.
I hope everyone is double masking or sporting N95s this holiday season. I still gotta get my booster shot but I’ll have to wait till Monday.

I just got the moderna booster, so far no sore arm and it's suppose to be good against omicron too.
...and that booster shot wiped me out! I was fine for 24 hours then I felt crummy, the day after that I was better, but today I still feel woozy and chilled.

Still, I don't regret getting the booster as it's better than catching Omicron without any protection.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-the-pandemic

Is the virus likely to lose its power to cause severe illness?
Many scientists believe evidence is now suggesting that this idea may be correct. Recent studies in Scotland, England and South Africa all point in this direction. “My gut feeling is that this variant is the first step in a process by which the virus adapts to the human population to produce more benign symptoms,” says Dr Julian Tang, Professor of Respiratory Sciences at Leicester University. “In a sense, it is to the virus’s advantage if it affects people in a way that that they don’t get too sick – because then they can walk around and mingle in society and spread the virus even more.”

So will Covid-19 end up behaving like flu?
Some health officials have predicted that Covid-19 could end up behaving like influenza, which requires a new vaccine to deal with new strains that appear every year. However, Professor Martin Hibberd, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, argues that coronaviruses – like those that already cause common colds – do not behave this way: “They do not appear as new strains every year. The reason we get colds in winter is because our immunity to coronaviruses does not last very long. And this virus seems to be more similar to those that cause common colds. In other words, we may still need to think about giving vaccines to protect against Covid-19 every year because immunity will always slip.”

That does not mean we face “doom and gloom” for the next five years, adds Tang. “I think the virus will evolve itself out of the pandemic strain very soon and become milder, more transmissible to the point where you may only need to think about vaccinating the more vulnerable members of the population.”

Duplicate Account (locked)
I hope everyone is double masking or sporting N95s this holiday season. I still gotta get my booster shot but I’ll have to wait till Monday.

This may not make you feel any better, but stress compromises the immune system, and there are still more things to worry about than both omicron and diseases in general...

Two pieces of annoying Covid news today:

The largest Walgreens in my city doesn’t have a single mask of any kind to buy. What is this? March of 2020?

Stopped by Subway after church as I do every Sunday. Nobody there. (It’s inside a Mobil station.) Talked to the franchise owner just now: it was closed because they all had Covid, including the very nice young woman who always serves me. Turns out they’re all unvaccinated & they all infected each other.

Franchise owner seemed very unfazed by this, but I was alarmed because I haven’t worn a mask in there. Next Sunday (and maybe for the next few weeks) I’m going to the Subway at the railroad station.

You ready? You look ready.
Got boosted this morning at 10am. I am starting to feel the effects now. Can’t get warm and I’m sore all over. At least I know it’s working. J&J, baby!

Got boosted this morning at 10am. I am starting to feel the effects now. Can’t get warm and I’m sore all over. At least I know it’s working. J&J, baby!
The only “reaction” (and I use that term lightly) was to the booster. Not even worth mentioning.

Glad you’re fully boosted. Horrifying that so many hospitals’ Covid patients are unvaccinated. In some hospitals that’s all the Covid patients. Never did I think our country would be so divided over this.

The only “reaction” (and I use that term lightly) was to the booster. Not even worth mentioning.

Glad you’re fully boosted. Horrifying that so many hospitals’ Covid patients are unvaccinated. In some hospitals that’s all the Covid patients. Never did I think our country would be so divided over this.
I felt crummy for almost a week from the booster. Unless I caught a cold at the same time and just don't know it.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Naw. They’re just using the dregs from the initial batches of vaccines for the boosters. Stuff’s expired, but that’s just a date they put on stuff…

Just found out a couple of days ago that my best friend's dad and 90-something-year-old grandma have Covid. My friend lives with her parents, her grandmother, and her youngest brother. Her other brother has been visiting for the holidays. The whole family got the initial two vaccines and everyone but her dad has gotten the booster. Her dad refuses to get the booster. He's also been going around maskless when shopping despite state mandates requiring masks indoors. My friend's grandma and youngest brother both have heart problems and her mom has a laundry list of health problems and is currently recovering from a stroke. My friend is overweight, but otherwise healthy. Her dad used to be obese, but over the last year has been dieting and has drastically slimmed down. He has no other health issues to my knowledge.

My friend and the visiting brother have not had any symptoms, but have not been tested. Her mom and youngest brother both tested negative. Her grandma has had only mild symptoms. Her dad has been pretty sick, though thankfully not severe enough to require hospitalization. And despite how well everyone else has been, her dad is still anti-booster and she said that just yesterday he was telling one of their other relatives not to get the booster.

So frustrating. I spent some time with them on Christmas eve and was hoping to see them again while her brother was still visiting, but now I won't be going anywhere near that house or that family for awhile.

Please get vaccinated, people. And wear your mask in public. And if you're vaccinated but haven't had your booster, get your booster.

Have my booster scheduled for Monday afternoon, and my wife had me add flu and pneumonia. I'm a little nervous because I don't remember ever getting those before and it seems like a lot. Will I be able to work Tuesday or should I just schedule a sick day? For those who don't know I drive a truck and do physical work.

Edit: it's the following Monday

Have my booster scheduled for Monday afternoon, and my wife had me add flu and pneumonia. I'm a little nervous because I don't remember ever getting those before and it seems like a lot. Will I be able to work Tuesday or should I just schedule a sick day? For those who don't know I drive a truck and do physical work.

Edit: it's the following Monday
I got my COVID booster shot and my flu shot on the same day, and I had zero side effects aside from a sore arm on the side with the COVID jab.

But I should also say that I didn't really have many side effects from any of the COVID shots and I almost never have side effects from the flu shot. If you had bad effects from the second COVID shot, that seems to be a decent predictor of how the booster will go (based on anecdotal evidence from friends/family).

I got my COVID booster shot and my flu shot on the same day, and I had zero side effects aside from a sore arm on the side with the COVID jab.

But I should also say that I didn't really have many side effects from any of the COVID shots and I almost never have side effects from the flu shot. If you had bad effects from the second COVID shot, that seems to be a decent predictor of how the booster will go (based on anecdotal evidence from friends/family).
I had neck pain for the first shot but they told me it was probably given a little high. For the second shot I was a little weary the next day but pretty much OK.

Yeah, I think it depends on what taking a day off looks like for you. If you've got extras and it won't set you back, probably smart to do it preemptively.

Anecdotally, my wife and I both felt kinda "bleh" but weren't miserable (we got Moderna the first time). I've heard that one's generally the worst in a vacuum, even though individual reactions vary a lot.

We both got boosters (Pfizer) earlier today, so I guess I'll report back on that shortly.

Yeah, I think it depends on what taking a day off looks like for you. If you've got extras and it won't set you back, probably smart to do it preemptively.

Anecdotally, my wife and I both felt kinda "bleh" but weren't miserable (we got Moderna the first time). I've heard that one's generally the worst in a vacuum, even though individual reactions vary a lot.

We both got boosters (Pfizer) earlier today, so I guess I'll report back on that shortly.
Taking a day off for me is nothing, it's just not something I normally do. Looking forward to your report.