The Matrix: Resurrections

Tools    

I watched it again last night and it’s a lot better upon a second viewing. I will never not hate that White Rabbit montage tho. Just like the rave scene.

But the story fits great and extends canon. I liked the self-reflecting humor but felt it did a disservice at times.

I truly think Smith is the strongest and smartest part of this particular chapter. Solid writing around his character.

EDIT: starting a third watch now
is it good? i heard it has low ratings 🤔

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

It's going to be a gamble with how much anyone likes it. Personally, I liked it enough. I thought it was better than the last two and it was very different from what I expected so that helped a lot. There are a handful of scenes that were pretty goofy but overall, I think it does pretty good for a new Matrix flick. If you liked the other movies you really should watch it.

You ready? You look ready.
So after a third viewing I gotta say it’s a lot better than the reviews going around. It’s the smartest of the sequels and definitely the best looking. The CGI will age well. The story does grow on you.

I would have given it a 2 upon my first viewing but I’d say it’s a solid 4. It’s going to benefit from being on streaming. It’s a dense watch. But it’s all surface like the sequels.

So after a third viewing I gotta say it’s a lot better than the reviews going around. It’s the smartest of the sequels and definitely the best looking. The CGI will age well. The story does grow on you.

I would have given it a 2 upon my first viewing but I’d say it’s a solid 4. It’s going to benefit from being on streaming. It’s a dense watch. But it’s all surface like the sequels.

Yeah I got that feeling too. Weird, ain't it?
@Sedai

okay that good cause i uselly watch good movies at the cinema with my support worker so i dont waste my money if it not good ,i uselly watch them online if they have low ratings. i prob gonna watch it online then that it release on HBO max

It's going to be a gamble with how much anyone likes it. Personally, I liked it enough. I thought it was better than the last two and it was very different from what I expected so that helped a lot. There are a handful of scenes that were pretty goofy but overall, I think it does pretty good for a new Matrix flick. If you liked the other movies you really should watch it.
well i do like other matrix movies always loved the first one

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Honestly, it wasn't that bad. I think I kind of liked it but I'm feeling like 7/10 ish.

I had predicted from the trailers that they looked like they were sorely lacking a legendary fight choreographer like Yuen Woo Ping from the previous movies, and I feel like this was spot on. I don't think any fight has any replay value like several of the others, and it's always better having real wire work when the actors are performing flips and jumps rather than the glaringly obvious CGI, learn from your past successes for heavens sake!

They learned that we don't want to spend time in the real world city, we want the Matrix, so full marks for both trips to the human city being remarkably brief!

Jessica Henwick's character Bugs is great, can't believe I didn't recognize her from GOT playing Nymeria Sand.

I was definitely expecting a lame cash grab like other dredged up franchises with an awful story but it kind of worked for me. My opinion may change for better or worse when I see it again.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
By the time the HBOMax app started working, it decided it was gonna change the spoken language.

Maybe that’s what ruined the experience.

There’s a scene in a white room when Morpheus started explaining stuff. Except it was in Spanish. We thought it was part of the movie, until everybody spoke in Spanish.

The app just changed it, for that movie specifically. Picked another movie, all english.

There’s a scene in a white room when Morpheus started explaining stuff. Except it was in Spanish. We thought it was part of the movie, until everybody spoke in Spanish.

The app just changed it, for that movie specifically. Picked another movie, all english.
wait u serious? i think im gonna rewatched other 3 before i watch the new one.

(Vague spoilers ahead.)

Agree with @gandalf26, the fight scenes were incredibly lackluster. Just a handful of noteworthy/memorable moves the whole movie.

The story was an absolute mess. It's almost never clear why people are fighting/what they want. And their single best idea--the swarm--is only really used once near the end. Coolest moment in the whole film, and should've been the centerpiece, the "agent replacement" in the way each new Terminator film has some new ability they (at least try to) explore.

The Matrix is a classic for lots of reasons, but the stark simplicity of people's motivations, and the clear setting of stakes and goals for every conflict, is probably the most important of them, and that's almost entirely missing here. And since 90% of the fights are standard "my arm blocks your arm and then one of us tries to kick" that you might see in any CW DC show on a Tuesday, there's just not a lot to redeem the film.

I'm not sure they even explained what the current state of affairs between humans and machines are! And there's some great stuff just sitting there. Like maybe it's an uneasy truce, where humans have essentially allowed some people to be enslaved to be left alone. Or it's a Cold War and the free people are less okay with the enslavement than they are worried about sparking all-out war (which Neo will do when he attempts to rescue Trinity). Maybe they have a choice not between freedom and slavery, but between freedom and "safety." These are all great, nuanced, topical themes that come to mind and could've been used to great effect in this film.

Bleh.

I think this suffers most from the decade or so of endless video essays dissecting every layer of meta in the original movie and to a lesser extent it’s sequels. If Warner Bros. is the machine, this new movie certainly rages against it… but we’ve all heard the song before.

Well said @ Yoda

Short of T2 or Aliens, when do these things ever work. Add to that the weight of the original and the influence it has had on the past 20 years of film.

The more I think, the more this seems that Wachowski was given an ultimatum, “make it or we make it without you.” Serious Ridley Scott protective vibes.

Okay, I’ll make the movie, but I’m going make however I see fit, regardless. The story is one thing, but the action really suffers. Recycled scenes, punching through columns, woof.

Then it had what I liken to the Altered Carbon effect, more commonly known as SyFystylized. The sets all felt like sets, small, no scope. The final scene just felt like a treadmill of the same setting.

And the Swarm. Really lazy. They already did that in the other movies, they just didn’t give it a name. And Mrs. Red Table’s makeup wouldn’t even make the cut for STNG.

Had high hopes for this, but I’m not buying the internet talking heads saying, “This is some meta-masterpiece you don’t get.”

She had to be talked into coming back and finishing a movie she didn’t want to make in the first place. It’s math.

Re: meta stuff. I mean, there's something there, with the way they subsume Neo's memories and stuff. I kept wanting them to get all mind-bendy with that, explore it more. It could be good. But it's kinda just used as a handwave.

The lore of this universe is good (which is either because of The Animatrix, or why The Animatrix is good, or both?), so they should've spent more time describing what happens between the films so we have some vague idea of what the state of relations is now and why.

Also, I'm sorry, but if I can buy a motion sensor for my back porch for $50, the machines would freaking know all the shenanigans they're getting up to anywhere in those structures, let alone the super special protagonist tower thing they'd built. Silly.

A system of cells interlinked
[font=century gothic]

Short of T2 or Aliens, when do these things ever work.
Things being...sequels to sci-fi flicks? if so, I can think of several more that worked pretty well...

I saw it today and liked it. I can get why some people don't like it and why the story might not work for some people, but it worked for me.

Things being...sequels to sci-fi flicks? if so, I can think of several more that worked pretty well...

5 bucks says Neverending Story II is on that list.

Sorry.
I read that expecting a pun on "things being ...equal" and realized I was mistaken.

Really can't get my head around The Neverending Story having a sequel ..... it's just ...... so ....... inappropriate.

Or is it

Sorry, blame Yin.

Iggy this - as you were...