Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I just think we deserve better, from the forum's nr.1 reviewer, at least as far as quantity is concerned.

Time for that overhaul.
Pfft, he only became #1 when I was MIA for four months.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
LOL. I'm totally lost because I also thought that.

Welcome to the human race...
No, it's because I was the one who actually managed to follow through on reviewing one movie a day for a full year.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore -

About what I expected from the guy who was in Blue Ruin.

Live By Night

Didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did, the best thing Affleck has ever done imo, loved it.

I watched this movie because it had good ratings, and the subject matter seemed interesting. It was nicely done, with first rate cinematography and believable dialogue.

IMO John Hawkes stole the show as the protagonist's backwoods uncle, "Teardrop". Jennifer Lawrence was mostly not believable as "Ree Dolly". She gave it a helluva try, but she's too pretty, and she couldn't speak in a convincing Appalachian accent. There are dozens of actresses who would have been much better cast.

The rest of the cast seemed natural, and reportedly many locals were used in key roles. The story itself was simple and linear, with no surprises. The film almost lost the battle with stereotyping, but because the story was within the setting of backwoods, drug-dealing Hillbillies, it pretty much overcame the tendency.

Released in 2010, I'll definitely be looking for more of Hawkes' work. Doc's rating: 6.5 of 10.

~Doc
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winters_bone_poster.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	31049  

Now that's a giant family size cup of wonder and beauty. I needed that.

I saw this a few months ago and it was on again today: Spare the Rod (1961). Very good film and I love watching Donald Pleasence with all the quirks he gives the headmaster.

7/10

Finished here. It's been fun.

Cracking Up aka Smorgasbord
+

It's painfully unfunny most times, almost unbearably so, but that might have been Jerry Lewis's intention...maybe. Despite it being unfunny, It is pretty entertaining, especially to see how Lewis takes gags past their logical end-point. Hmmm definitely an interesting movie, that's for sure.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore -

About what I expected from the guy who was in Blue Ruin.
I liked it less than you judging by the rating but I have no idea what you mean by the comment.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) -
Well that looks promising, yam. I'm tempted to give it another go.

Wonder Woman
(2017)
First 2/3 -
+
Last 1/3 -

I had some issues with Wonder Woman at the start, mainly the overuse of slow-motion combined with horribly fake looking computer-enhanced movements, but it was a perfectly fine piece of entertainment. The costumes were great and the acting was good, but then it took a huge nosedive in the final act that managed to sour me on everything that came before it.

On my walk home, the more I thought about the film and discussed it with my room mates, the less I liked it, and it's mainly to do with that last part of the movie that just reeks of studio interference. It's really a shame, because the film had the potential to be so much more than it was, but instead just turned into another Batman v Superman. If you liked that film, then maybe you'll like this too, but it's not to my taste.

Welcome to the human race...
I liked it less than you judging by the rating but I have no idea what you mean by the comment.
Macon Blair starred in and executive produced Blue Ruin, plus he wrote and directed I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore. Both films are about small-town Americans trying to get revenge on criminals who have wronged them only for things to violently spiral out of control, so I'm effectively saying that it's about what I expected.

Dead Ringers -

Call me crazy, but I reckon there's something not quite right about this Cronenberg fella.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
No, it's because I was the one who actually managed to follow through on reviewing one movie a day for a full year.
This is true.