My 450 Favorite Films Ever-A List I'll probably Never Finish

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
Nearly two years later, but the list shall continue. Without further adieu...

349 The Sacrifice
The final film from legendary filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky. Worth viewing solely for the haunting final image, but the entire film provides moments forever etched into my memory, never to be forgotten.

348 Dangerous Game
Abel Ferrara's bleak drama about the relationship between art and the artist. One of Keitel's greatest performances.

347 Le Révélateur
Stunning black & white compositions from Garrel. One of the most stunningly photographed films I've ever seen.

346 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her
Hated during initial watch, loved upon reflection. Godard at his most experimental.

345 Hail Mary
Another Godard. I'd argue that this is one of his late-career masterworks.

344 The King of Comedy
A chilling film and one of DeNiro's best performances.

343 The Dead
John Huston's career comes to an end with an elegiac, poetic film about death. A remarkable work.

342 City of Pirates
Dreamlike, otherworldly atmosphere unlike any I've ever encountered before. One of those films that only gets better, never worse, upon reflection.

341 Lolita
One of Kubrick's best character-studies. It's not nearly as refined as some of his later works, but still...one helluva film.

340 There Will Be Blood
Paul Thomas Anderson's epic about greed, family, and the battle between religion and capitalism.

Only seen Lolita and There Will Be Blood from that set, the latter I consider a masterpiece, and the other one ain't to shabby either.

Glad you're resurrecting this thing.

339 La Collectionneuse
Ah Rohmer, how I love thy films. He's a filmmaker that reveals so much truth about human interaction in each of his movies. They may appear simple on the surface, but they are infinitely complex beneath the surface.

338 Knight of Cups
One of Terry's most experimental, and divisive, films. Malick's films connect with me on an audiovisual level; this one is no different. Absolutely hypnotic.

337 Welcome to New York
Another gem from Abel Ferrara. A grim, unflinching character-study of a vile man without a sliver of morality.

336 Stars in My Crown
The most John Ford-ian film that John Ford didn't actually direct. A delicate portrait of a small-town community, but also an examination of the relationship between faith and reason.

335 Voyage to Cythera
What a uncultured list this would be without a hint of ol' Angelopoulous. Again, another one of those films that I felt indifferent towards initially, but grew to love upon contemplation. It's one of Theo's more opaque films, but definitely worth the viewing.

Only seen Lolita and There Will Be Blood from that set, the latter I consider a masterpiece, and the other one ain't to shabby either.

Glad you're resurrecting this thing.
Thanks! Yeah, I was planning on resurrecting this behemoth for a while now. Finally found the time--and enthusiasm--so finally continuing on. Will not give up this time...hopefully.

The following sets will be more detailed...just felt too lazy to write anything for this one.

334 The Leopard Man

333 El Dorado

332 Everybody Wants Some!!

331 Showgirls

330 Three Colors: Red

329 Nosferatu (1922)

328 They Were Expendable

327 Body Double

326 Late Autumn

325 Osaka Elegy

324 Day of Despair

323 Stromboli

322 Nightcrawler

321 Age of Innocence

My favorites in that set are Body Double, Nightcrawler, Nosferatu, and Everybody Wants Some. I've also seen and like El Dorado, Showgirls, and Late Autumn.

320 The Neon Demon
Refn is a pompous director and it's not hard to see why someone would entirely loathe his brand of filmmaking. That being said, I can't deny what an experience it was to see this at the cinema. A bold, eerie, & gorgeous exercise in style. And those colors.

319 Vampires
One of John Carpenter's most underrated efforts, I think.

318 The Prefab People
I love me some Tarr. This is one of his earlier films (alongside Autumn Almanac, so the photography isn't as refined as it would be post-Damnation. Still, a really excellent family drama, filled with Tarr's black humor.

317 Triumph of the Will
As vile as a propaganda piece it may be, I can't deny the mastery of Riefenstahl's direction. Definitely shows what a powerful format--and tool--the visual medium can truly be.

316 Exodus: Gods and Kings
A proper modern epic. It does so much wrong, but the unprecedented scale of the film recalls the classics of bygone Hollywood.

315 L'Ange
Unsettling nightmare fuel. Imagery that wouldn't feel out of place in Inland Empire.

314 L.A. Confidential
A proper film-noir from modern Hollywood. The performances across the board are lights-out good, but my favorite aspect of the film is its immaculate set & costume design. Perfectly captures the look, and feel, of classic hollywood noirs.

313 Resident Evil: Retribution
One helluva an action flick! The hate P.W.S Anderson receives is unwarranted--he's a talented stylist.

312 The Aviator
Not one of Scorsese's masterpiece, but a thoroughly entertaining film nonetheless. Expertly crafted and edited, it's engaging from start to finish.

311 The Baby of Macon
It's the type of film that disgusts and shocks the viewer at every turn. As vile as it may be, this film is still a masterclass in cinematography, production design, and mise en scčne.

Welcome to the human race...
I like how, like NedStark09's Top 500, this is taking so long to complete that films that weren't even out when the thread was started are ending up on the list. I feel like I'd have to drop the whole list in one go just to avoid that.

310 The African Queen
With two legendary actors as the leads, an exotic location as the backdrop, and master director John Huston at the helm, The African Queen is one of the most memorable classic Hollywood romances I've ever seen.

309 Skyfall
One of the most well-crafted actions films, well, ever. Deakins' ace cinematography elevates it past being just another bland blockbuster.

308 White Hunter,Black Heart
Speaking of The African Queen, this is Clint Eastwood's portrayal of what happened during its filming. It's leisurely paced, but the final act brings everything full circle. An excellent tale, if there was any, about ego and obsession.

307 Mustang
One of my favorite films from the current decade.

306 Magnolia
One of the best ensemble casts in recent memory. Every actor is on the top of their game here.

305 College
Another charming Keaton film.

304 The Shawshank Redemption
Infinitely rewatchable. It certainly isn't the "greatest film ever made," but it's well-told story with relateable characters and a very satisfying narrative.

303 A Whole Night
A dreamlike portrait of lonely souls coming together.

302 25th Hour
One of Spike Lee's best films and one of Edward Norton's best performances.

301 444: Last Day on Earth
Unlike any other 'end of the world' type film, so for that alone it deserves a spot on this list.

300 The Horse Soldiers
One of John Ford' most underrated efforts.

299 Red River
Classic western from one of my favorite filmmakers, Howard Hawks.

298 The Master
I definitely see this one becoming a modern classic in the decades to come. A career-best performance from Joaquin Phoenix

297 Michael
Tragically overlooked early classic from Carl Th. Dreyer.

296 Under the Skin
A thought-provoking sci-fi film that challenges the viewer at every turn. Hypnotic and visually arresting imagery + awesome score=GOLD.

295 The Truman Show
One of the films that helped me blossom into the film lover I am today.

294 Heart of Glass
Like most great works of art, a film that didn't resonate with me initially. Now, I'd label it one of Herzog's best.

293A Fistful of Dollars
I love me some spaghetti.

292 Inglorious Basterds
I recall few films that are so remarkable entertaining from beginning to end.

291 Daisies
One of my favorites from the Czech-New Wave.

290 City of Sadness
A perennial Taiwanese new-wave masterwork.

289 Possession

288 Starship Troopers

287 Dredd

286 Ghosts of Mars

285 Hausu

284 Green Room

283 Freaks

282 Blazing Saddles

281 The Burning

280 Gone Girl

279 American Psycho

278 Tenebre

277 The Grey

276 Angel Heart

275 The White Sheik

274 The Last Wave

273 Blood and Black Lace

272 Harakiri

271 The Double Life of Veronique

270 Electra, My Love

269 Pee Wee's Big Adventure

268 Apocalypto

267 The Passion of Anna

266 The Piano Teacher

265 The Blood of a Poet

264 india Matri Bhumi

263 The Thin Blue Line

262 Sexy Beast

261 An Affair to Remember

260 Akira

259 Cop

258 Cosmopolis

257 Horse Money

256 In the Mood for Love

255 3 Bad Men

254 Sanjuro

253 India Song

252 Scarface

251 Last Year at Marienbad

250 The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

(The 250 Mark)

Just for reference's sake, roughly how many movies have you seen ever?
Roughly 1,500 (perhaps, a little more). This list, I suppose, would be my favorite third. My list is quite scattershot right now, but after I hit the 200 mark, I'll begin writing a genuine review (paragraph-ish) for each review.

249 Utamaro and his Five Women
248 Wings of Desire
247 El Topo
246 Boyz n' the Hood
245 It's a Wonderful Life
244 Unforgiven
243 Close-Up
242 Evil Dead 2
241 Sisters of the Gion
240 Se7en
239 Santa Sangre
238 Atlantic City
237 City of God
236 The Gospel According to St. Matthew
235 The Adventures of Robin Hood
234 The Red Shoes
233 Through a Glass Darkly
232 The Golden Coach
231 The Blob
230 The Birth of a Nation
229 Prisoners
228 Vampyr
227 Kill List
226 Almanac of Fall
225 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
224 Modern Times
223 Dead Man
220 The Merchant of Four Seasons
219 The Importance of Being Earnest
218 Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages
217 Kagemusha
216 Mouchette
215 Yi Yi
214 Lost Highwayr
213 Mr. Arkadin
212 The Holy Mountain
211 Son of Saul
210 Beware of a Holy Whore
209 Playtime
208 Network
207 Inside Llewyn Davis
206 the River
205 Sicario
204 A Clockwork Orange
203 Late Spring
202 The Devil, Probably
201 The Rules of the Game
200 The Terminator

(199) La Ronde

Gorgeously photographed and oozing with sensuality, La Ronde shows Max Ophuls at the height of his powers, not just as a filmmaker, but as an artist. The camerawork in his films is always spectacular, yet never flamboyant; it's always integral to his storytelling. After viewing this film, it isn't difficult to discern why filmmakers like Martin Scorsese & Paul Thomas Anderson owe so much to Ophuls. Simply put, a masterpiece.

198 Bad Lieutenant
Gritty, unrelenting urban drama about faith and redemption. Keitel bares all--*literarally*--in his career-defining performance as a volatile sinner who seems to lack any moral compass. One of Ferrara's best.

197 All About Eve
What can I say about this film that hasn't already been stated a billion times before. In short, one of the best scripts ever written.

196 To Kill a Mockingbird
A wonderful adaptation of the classic novel.

195 His Girl Friday
What wit!

194 Incendies
A modern Greek tragedy, and also proof that Denis Villeneuve is one of the most talented filmmakers working today. *crosses fingers for Blade Runner 2049.*

193 The Wrester
The defining performance from Mickey Rourke, and, to me, the best film in Aronofosky's career (thus far).

192 Phoenix
Beautiful cinematography, excellent performances, & a deeply moving narrative rounds out one of the best films from the 2010s.

191 To the Wonder
I've yet to see a Malick film that I've disliked--and this is no different.

190 The Life of Oharu
Unflinching character-study of the cruelty inflicted upon women. One of Mizoguchi's most heartwrenching films.

(189) The Tree of Life
If someone were to tell me this was Malick's magnum opus, I wouldn't put up much of a fight. It may not be my personal favorite, but the unprecedented ambition on display here brings me to tears.Tree of Life captures the beauty of life, in all its sadness and beauty. In fact, it's one of the few films that showcases what a miracle it is to be alive in the first place. Magical stuff.

(188) King Kong (1933)
I hate using the term "ahead of its time," but...

There's something magical about practical effects that could never be captured with computer graphics & animation. The use of models, sets, and camera tricks is something that always appeals to me. King Kong was, in brief, a game-changer, blowing open the world of cinema to reveal the infinite possibilities of what lies ahead. Just as entertaining now as it must have been back in 1933.

(187) Hard to be a God
The type of film that can't really be described in any other way than 'vile.' Aleksei German transports the viewer into a world where civility is burnt toast, and where chaos of the filthiest kind reigns supreme. The type of film which literally has a smell of its own. There hasn't been anything else like this in cinema history--and there never will be.

(186) Winter Sleep
Leisurely paced yet wholly engrossing examination of a man who's completely unaware that his condescension alienates everyone around him. Is quite effective as a class commentary, and the oh-so-beautiful images are some of the loveliest of the 21st century.

(185) Freedom
Bartas' film is so slow it makes Bela Tarr look like Paul Greengrass. That being said, not a bad thing!