Rodent's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Review #31: Critters.

Low budget horror flick that was part of the 1980s Puppet Creature Feature market. Other favourites include Troll, Ghoulies, Gremlins and Munchies.

A handful of tennis ball sized aliens known as ‘Crites’, who have escaped from their space prison, crash land on earth just outside a small town called Grover’s Bend.
They then make their way to the nearest farm (owned by the ‘Brown’ family) and cause them a whole night of havoc and terror. Hot on their trail though are two Intergalactic Bounty Hunters.
Upon eating various farm animals and the occasional person too, the Critters start growing in size and become a more formidable foe.

It’s a brilliantly made movie that uses the ‘people trapped in house’ plot as it’s basis.
The movie also heads out into the town too when the Bounty Hunters arrive and the ‘fish out of water’ premise is utilised when they can’t seem to find the Crites and the town’s folk don’t take them seriously.

There are elements of all sorts of genres too. Many regard the movie as either sci-fi or horror.
It’s actually a modge of all sorts: Tongue in cheek comedy, gory horror, shocker, claustrophobic haunted house style and sci-fi.
It mixes all the elements really well too.

I wouldn’t say the shooting style is any better than any other movie of it’s type but it’s very well put together in terms of action, shocks and acting.

Scream-Queen Dee Wallace Stone and Billy Green Bush as the wife and husband Heads of the Brown family are very well played by both. They have an on-screen chemistry and a homely comfortableness about them.
Nadine Van Der Velde as the daughter is spot on as the teenage daughter and beautiful Damsel in distress (sort of).
Billy Zane makes his second ever movie appearance as Nadine Van Der Velde’s new squeeze. Being that he’s on screen for a short time, he’s actually a memorable character.
Scott Grimes plays the main part of the cast as the youngest of the family. Even at such a young age Grimes really shines in the role as the mischievous scamp who’s got an old soul about him. You knew even back then that Grimes has a long career ahead of him.

The effects of the movie are a touch dated by today’s standard but they work with the low budget shooting style of the film really well.

The characters too are well realised, especially the Crites (who are also ''puppeted' brilliantly too) and the Bounty Hunters are brilliantly original.

The only thing that lets the movie down is the pretty weak writing for the ending, but for budget constraints and the feel of the movie, it does kind of work.

All in all it’s a funny, shocking, mildly gory but relatively standard sci-fi-comedy-horror and is a very close runner up to Gremlins in the Creature Feature genre.
My rating 89%

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I just rewatched Critters 1 & 2, I haven't seen them since I was like 12 so it nice see them again. It's always funny to watch stuff like that and see what you thought was so scary when you were a kid is now just funny and Critters is just so bad that it's good, nice review.

Review #32: The Matrix Trilogy.

The Matrix.

An original take on alternate realities, The Matrix revolves around a computer hacker calling himself ‘Neo’, who feels that something isn’t right with the world he lives in.
A group of strangely dressed and oddly acting people appear in his life and explain that they can ‘free’ him from the constraints of a humdrum life and can explain to him exactly what this concept of The Matrix is.

He takes up their offer and falls into a world of intrigue and mystery and super-human powers.
Eventually he unwillingly realises that he will become the most powerful of these people and will lead them to victory in an ongoing war that’s taking place in another reality between man and machine.

The movie as a whole is very well put together. It keeps the air of mystery going throughout the entire running time. The audience follows Neo’s journey of discovery brilliantly. The ideas of the discoveries are kept under wraps until Neo discovers them, putting the viewer on a par with the character’s surprise and shock.

The effects too are fantastically developed. The first movie of it’s kind, on a par with Jurassic Park, the filmmakers actually invented certain technologies to make their vision come to life and in the process they coined the phrase "Bullet Time".

The filmmakers went toward a lot of practical effects too, rather than just full on CGI.
The entire film is also cutting edge in its design, especially some of the plotlines.

The acting is absolutely bang on too.
Keanu Reeves really hits his role with perfection. With the movie being such a far out idea, he really encapsulates the lost-puppy persona needed for Neo.
Lawrence Fishburn is marvellous as Morpeus. The leader of the group who take Neo on his journey. He’s the epitome of cool.
Hugo Weaving is fantastic as the otherworldly and emotionless villain Agent Smith. He made it to #33 in my Top 40 Villains.

The one fault with the movie is that it’s extremely serious. There’s little in the way of humour or respite in the depressed feelings of the characters.

All in all it’s a brilliant sci-fi-mystery ride into a different yet also very recognisable world.
My rating 90%

----------

Matrix Reloaded.

This is where things already started to go awry for the Matrix franchise.

The movie revolves around Neo again. This time he’s become an all-powerful super human and has unlocked his mind from ‘reality’.
Agent Smith is up to his old tricks and has learned a few new techniques for defeating Neo from within The Matrix and outside of it too.
The premise is that of the first movie, an ongoing war between man and machine and a twist in the story for the human city called Zion.

The movie is orientated toward action and flashy imagery more than anything else.
There is expansion in the storyline with Neo’s new missions and an introduction to the human city of Zion and new characters are introduced to the story but it feels extremely linear.

The special effects are an improvement to an extent but a lot of it has been turned from practical camera use, into full on CG scenes that show a lot of break up as they’re not rendered brilliantly. Some of it is, but most of it isn’t.

What made The Matrix such a success was the development of things the audience had never seen before. This movie just feels like a typical Hollywood sequel: Flashy and hollow.

The action is exciting though, it’s well choreographed, but it’s just too CG to be anywhere near as exciting as the more practical first movie.
The martial arts scenes with Neo are probably the best part of the whole movie though, a lot of work went into the fights and Reeves really shows his worth as an action star.

The acting again though is bang on the money. The addition of the new characters and new sub-plots broadens the scope of the movie.

All in all a vast and sprawling action-up with a stretched out story that is exciting at times, but it’s just too much like an expensive cartoon.
My rating 69%

----------

Matrix Revolutions.

The third of the franchise revolves more around the war outside of The Matrix, rather than Neo and the group’s interactions within The Matrix.

Neo’s new mission is to take on Agent Smith’s new found super powers and make a pact with the machines, as Smith is now becoming a serious threat to them too.
Cue a big showdown both inside and outside The Matrix that lasts most of the movie’s running time.

The problem is that the movie has no real mystery to it anymore.
The plotline is very, very linear: The characters have an idea, they make it happen, then move onto the next idea and so on. After the first half-hour you feel bored with it all and are hoping for the ending to come along.

The CG is extremely heavy again but this time it’s utilised with much more thought. It’s more reality based than being an expensive cartoon, so thumbs up for that.

The action too, though heavily CG is actually very entertaining and much more exciting than the second movie, especially during the fighting in Zion.

The Neo/Smith CGI laden showdown however is a bit of a letdown. The filmmakers went for style rather than substance and it feels very hollow.

The actors are starting to look a little tired of it all too. They do there jobs well, but the charisma and energy they had in the first two movies has somewhat diminished.

All in all, better effects than the first two, a few extra sub-plots and much more exciting in the action scenes, but not really a great end to what started out so promisingly.
My rating is the same as the second movie at 64%

Review #33: Arachnophobia.

Implausible comedy horror revolving around a Venezuelan super spider that escapes its surroundings and ends up in a small American town and mates with a house-spider and creates a pile of deadly offspring.
The town is then subjected to jumpy terror and painful death and Jeff Daniels and John Goodman have to do what they can to find the spider’s nest and kill the main mating pair.

The movie, for what it’s based on is actually very entertaining.
Some of the jumpy bits are well conceived and would certainly put an Arachnophobe on the edge of their seat. Everyone else just gets the jitters watching the creepy-crawlies hiding under various things and jumping out at people, including toilet seats.

The acting is about as standard for the type of low budget horror movie it is. Jeff Daniels plays it relatively serious and hits the odd piece of subtle comedy brilliantly.
John Goodman in particular is funny. More in a subtle way rather than his usual wacky outlandishness and it’s a shame that he’s not seen on screen more often.

The effects of the film are at times extremely poor. The giant animatronic/puppeted spiders aren’t very convincing and there are a lot of mistakes with the puppetry.
However, the work the filmmakers put in when using real spiders is well choreographed. A lot of the time you wonder how they did it.

There's not much else to say on the film really.

If it weren’t for the mistakes and puppetry, the movie would rate a lot higher, though still, all in all it’s a cosy night in with the girlfriend cuddling your arm.
My rating 68%

Saw Arachnophobia at the movies, went with my friend and her children, they were very scared

I like Arachnophobia, but then, I like a lot of those disaster/nature against man films. If you do, I'd recommend this beauty.

Kingdom Of The Spiders

Review #34: Super 8.

Small change in the above list I posted before. I’ve decided to review Super 8 instead of Gremlins.

Based on the premise of a train crash caught on camera by a bunch of school kids in the late 1970s.
A creature of some kind, being transported on the train, has now been released into a nearby town and is causing the disappearances of people and animals and even more strangely, the disappearance of electronic gadgets, from microwave ovens to air-conditioning units and power-lines.

On the creatures heels are Army and Government types who (unbeknown to the group of kids), are also after whoever filmed the crash as one of the head-honchos has found a film box left behind at the crash site.

What starts off as a promising mystery horror/shocker, sadly turns very, very slowly into a sci-fi thriller and then drops it’s clever build up and turns into full on CG sci-fi and extremely quick successions of explanatory dialogue.

The writing is pretty simplistic and the story is very linear too.
It’s a simple ABC-123-set-of-events and circumstances that grow larger as the film progresses, eventually the simplistic climax of the movie arrives and isn’t exactly as grand as the viewer would hope.

There are the usual Spielberg-esk family-life subplots going on between the characters: Broken homes and divorced parents, other parents that are dead, various kids all fancying the same person, etc, etc, with all the various different characters having to reconcile all of the various differences between them all.

There are some well-conceived jumpy bits and occasional hits of family orientated humour mixed in though, another Spielberg-esk touch.

The effects of the movie reminded me a lot of Cloverfield, keeping the creature in the shadows with only the occasional glimpse, but sadly, unlike Cloverfield, this creature doesn’t give the viewer a thrill once it’s revealed. It’s designed very much like the Cloverfield monster too, just smaller.

Don’t get me wrong, the CGI is well rendered, really well rendered, it’s just a very bog-standard creature for such a well put together build up.

The acting in the film is probably the best part of it all.
The kids used as the main bunch of characters are all non-actors. They play their roles really well too. They’re believable and carry the story and emotions fantastically. There are scenes of genuine upset and emotion that the audience can’t help but feel too. The kids’ acting is brilliant.
The adult cast all carry their various roles well too, but it’s the kids that make the film worth watching.

It’s sad really, being a sci-fi fan, I so wanted to like this film.
However it feels too much of a rip of various ideas from various other films, E.T, Close Encounters, Cloverfield etc. Even the music reminded me of J.J Abrams' Star Trek.

A lot of the homage paid to other films made me think I was watching a bigger budgeted version of Paul, only without the comedy. There's just nothing really new about the film.

All in all it’s entertaining and flashy on the outside, but feels a little too hollow and linear to make the ranks of classic film in ten years time from now. To be honest, I think it’ll be long forgotten well before then.
My rating 33%

Review #35: The Shawshank Redemption.

Another fantastic movie appearing in my reviews, based on Stephen King novella, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.

It revolves around a banker, Andy Dufresne, being incarcerated in Shawshank Prison for murdering his wife and her lover.
He’s subjected to beatings and rape by other inmates and eventually finds friends in some of the other inmates and even a few of the Guards due to his financial knowledge, eventually becoming a well known and respected inmate himself. Eventually he’s caught up in a money-laundering scam with the prison Warden.

Every day, he defends his innocence for the murders, claiming that he loved his wife.
After 30 years of imprisonment, possible evidence appears that he was actually telling the truth all along.

It’s a wonderfully shot and beautifully written movie, if at times very disturbing and brutal.
The story telling is extremely well put together. Some might say it’s a basic sequence of events but the little twists and turns and the occasional surprise in the plot make the movie a joy to watch.

The character writing is also absolutely well executed. They’re funny, rude, stupid at times, depressing, violent and very, very real.
You really care about the main group of characters and the odd hit of tragedy really hits the viewer hard.

At times the movie can be hard to watch because of the nature of nature and the human psyche that the movie delves into throughout the running time. Not hard in a boring way, hard in an emotional way, the movie encapsulates human nature better than any movie of its kind.

The acting is absolutely bang on the money from all parties, Tim Robbins excels in his best role I’ve ever seen him play as Dufresne. As the movie progresses his character changes incredibly, he even physically ages as the movie progresses.
Morgan Freeman as Ellis Boyde Redding, Dufresne’s best friend and cohort in the prison is brilliantly wise and yet approachable and friendly. The friendship between him and Dufresne is almost a kinship and the acting really shows their connection.
Clancy Brown is again the ‘hard case’ Guard who’s not afraid to dish out the occasional beating, typecast maybe but Brown is actually at his best. The brilliant writing of the characters gives him a human side, which makes you like his character to an extent.

All in all, it’s a very low key movie and feels low budget in the way it looks but don’t let that put anyone off, Shawshank is a movie that should be, no, must be viewed by anyone who enjoys movies. It has absolutely everything and certainly surprised me when I saw it for the first time.
My rating 100%

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Agree almost totally with your last two reviews. While I'd rate Super 8 slightly higher I did find it incredibly disappointing. And Shawshank is just wonderful!

Kingdom Of The Spiders
Is that film as gloriously dreadful/awesome as it looks?

Review #36: The Abyss.

Another change in movie, I was going to write up a review for Walking Tall, but decided that The Abyss was a better choice.

A team of underwater oil-drillers using a sophisticated underwater rig is called in by the Navy to salvage nuclear warheads from a sunken submarine.
Hesitant at first, the team decide to help with the recovery and find themselves plunged (excuse the pun) into a world of wonder, terror and amazement when they’re cut off from their company’s ship and the rest of the Navy fleet during a sudden storm.
With two of the crew having seen strange lights outside in the ocean depths and the Navy Seals who have come aboard starting to show signs of pressure induced psychosis, life for the drill team is going to get a whole lot more interesting than just the normal day-to-day drilling for oil.

James Cameron’s underwater epic is an absolutely magnificent piece of filmmaking.
It utilises every trick in the book, from shocks, violence and claustrophobia to wonder, amazement, mystery and even comedy.
It’s exceptionally well written.
The underwater and flooding scenes are brilliantly choreographed too, I couldn't help but gasp for air while watching.

The twists and turn in the story telling (and there are several) keep the audience on the edge of their seats as you never know where the story is going to go next.
A lot of the plot devices and ideas seen in the film are very original too.
The special effects in the movie are, even today, fascinating. The water tentacle especially, is one of the highlights.

ILM paved the way for films like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park and pretty much every other CG movie since with the technology created for the movie.

Maybe one thing that lets the movie down is that there is some puppetry used at the end of the film that is quite obvious, but it does work with the film’s several subject matters.

The acting is also brilliant.
The entire cast are extremely comfortable around each other, giving the effect needed of people who have spent a long time with each other in their work and the uncomfortable feelings they get when the Navy arrive on their rig is felt by the viewer.
Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio are wonderfully comic as the feuding soon-to-be-divorced husband and wife Heads of the drill team.
Michael Biehn as Lt. Coffee is an absolute joy as the Navy team leader whose character changes rapidly over the film. Biehn made to the top 10 in my top 40 villains for his role in the film.

All in all a near perfect thrill ride of CG wonder and claustrophobic fear.

My rating 98%

Review #36: The Abyss.

Another change in movie, I was going to write up a review for Walking Tall, but decided that The Abyss was a better choice.

A team of underwater oil-drillers using a sophisticated underwater rig is called in by the Navy to salvage nuclear warheads from a sunken submarine.
Hesitant at first, the team decide to help with the recovery and find themselves plunged (excuse the pun) into a world of wonder, terror and amazement when they’re cut off from their company’s ship and the rest of the Navy fleet during a sudden storm.
With two of the crew having seen strange lights outside in the ocean depths and the Navy Seals who have come aboard starting to show signs of pressure induced psychosis, life for the drill team is going to get a whole lot more interesting than just the normal day-to-day drilling for oil.

James Cameron’s underwater epic is an absolutely magnificent piece of filmmaking.
It utilises every trick in the book, from shocks, violence and claustrophobia to wonder, amazement, mystery and even comedy.
It’s exceptionally well written.
The underwater and flooding scenes are brilliantly choreographed too, I couldn't help but gasp for air while watching.

The twists and turn in the story telling (and there are several) keep the audience on the edge of their seats as you never know where the story is going to go next.
A lot of the plot devices and ideas seen in the film are very original too.
The special effects in the movie are, even today, fascinating. The water tentacle especially, is one of the highlights.

ILM paved the way for films like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park and pretty much every other CG movie since with the technology created for the movie.

Maybe one thing that lets the movie down is that there is some puppetry used at the end of the film that is quite obvious, but it does work with the film’s several subject matters.

The acting is also brilliant.
The entire cast are extremely comfortable around each other, giving the effect needed of people who have spent a long time with each other in their work and the uncomfortable feelings they get when the Navy arrive on their rig is felt by the viewer.
Ed Harris and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio are wonderfully comic as the feuding soon-to-be-divorced husband and wife Heads of the drill team.
Michael Biehn as Lt. Coffee is an absolute joy as the Navy team leader whose character changes rapidly over the film. Biehn made to the top 10 in my top 40 villains for his role in the film.

All in all a near perfect thrill ride of CG wonder and claustrophobic fear. My rating 98%.
Ahh.... the rat turned into a prince ( refering to your avatar )
Which Walking Tall were you going to do, the Joe Don Baker one or The Rock re-make?

It was going to be The Rock (aka Dwayne).
Decided not to. Might do it later at some point. Anyways, here's two more for the collection.

Review #37: Troll Hunter.

A third change from the above list. I saw Troll Hunter when it was first released but saw it again the other day and had to let everyone know what I thought.
I’ve watched the movie in both formats i.e.; In Norwegian with English subtitles and also in redubbed English.

Another movie based on ‘found footage’ reveals three 20 somethings making a documentary about a hunter who is illegally shooting bears in Norway find themselves thrown into a world of Norwegian mythology when they decide to follow the hunter in question.
It turns out that this hunter is actually a troll hunter working for a secret government system and he takes the three filmmakers on a trip of terror and discovery in the wilderness of northern Europe.

The films premise is sound, basing it in real life situations is a mark of originality by the filmmakers but the movie itself mainly falls flat after that.
The only other redeeming features of the film are the CG trolls. Though the movie is relatively low budget, the CGI is exceptionally well rendered and very original. They utilise existing mythology too with the look of the creatures which adds authenticity as well.

The acting in the film is sadly, lacklustre at best. It’s very wooden and obviously scripted. There’s no naturalness with the dialogue either.

The physical reactions of the cast are also very scripted which is another sad part of the film, it destroys the aura of reality that the film is trying desperately to build.

There are also sections of the plot that are based on what the filmmakers had to work with due to low budget.
A side effect of this is that certain plot elements are unintentionally laugh-out-loud funny, anyone who has already seen the movie will know what I’m talking about when I say "Electrical Pylons".

All in all a well rendered CG film when the CGI is actually used. Sadly, it’s unintentionally funny, badly acted and certainly not worth the £16 that I paid for it on DVD.

My rating 11%

Review #38: John Carpenter’s The Fog.

As a small American fishing town prepares to celebrate the 100th anniversary of it’s completion, strange and disturbing things start occurring just after midnight on the anniversary when a strange glowing fog rolls in from the ocean.
Car alarms start going off, animals become disturbed, gold coins transform into pieces of wood and a fishing boat is found adrift at sea with all the crewmembers either dead or missing.
During the incidents’ occurrences, a Priest finds a diary that was written by his Grandfather at the time of the town’s completion. It contains disturbing and upsetting stories of murder and theft that lead to the town’s beginnings 100 years before.

The movie is an absolute entertainer. Carpenter’s writing is extremely well put together.
His take on a simple ghost story is incredibly original.

The effects are very rudimentary, it’s mainly fog and lights, but work absolutely brilliantly. Rob Bottin’s creations are simple, gory, dark and at times are quite disturbing when seen. They’re kept to the shadows and are hidden behind fog most of the time too, which gives the scary moments more impact.

The acting too is top notch. There’s no actual lead role as such, it’s more along the lines of various town’s folk in their own survival story.
An incredibly sexy Adrienne Barbeau, Scream-Queen Jamie Lee-Curtis, John Houseman and Janet Leigh are all on top form as the runners, screamers and hiders.
The thing that let’s the movie down? Not a lot really, as usual with Carpenter he makes his own soundtrack for the movie and it’s far from being his best.

All in all a cracking little horror that keeps things small-scale and is very atmospheric.

My rating 74%

Review #39: Dog Soldiers.

A small group of British Squaddies on a training programme in a forest in the middle of Scotland’s nowhere, is thrown into a night of horror survival when they find themselves preyed upon, by what they perceive as a pack of giant wolves.
They happen upon the gruesome remains of another group of soldiers and immediately take ammo and weapons and head for a way out of the forest.
Eventually they find themselves trapped in a farmhouse and have to spend the night defending their stronghold against an inhuman and seemingly invincible enemy.

The low budget horror movie makes a welcome return to the screen.
Dog Soldiers starts out as a normal, funny buddy movie and rapidly nosedives into a genuinely funny, gory and shocking horror movie with gun-action thrown in for good measure.

The writing is pretty simple, it’s the bog-standard ‘trapped in house, monster trying to get in’ thriller in a similar vein to Romero’s Zombie movies. It’s kept small scale and utilises suspense perfectly.
But the addition of the prey being a bunch of Squaddies gives the movie a much broader range with the action and especially, the comedic elements.

The characterisation of the soldiers is absolutely spot on, especially with the attitudes and dialogue, they’re funny, pally and also know how to kick @rse and take orders when needed.

The main sense of realism incorporated into the movie is with the cast that were picked for the various roles, they’ve all got different accents and are in their late teens and early 20s, with only the Sergeant and Corporal being older than the rest.

The cast doesn’t disappoint either.
They’re funny, engaging, serious and tough and are believable as British Soldiers. They all hit their lines with professionalism and never miss a beat during action scenes.
Jon Pertwee as the Sarge is particularly good, he’s extremely believable and well cast in the role.
As too is Kevin McKidd who takes charge when the Sarge is injured.
Liam Cunningham adds a touch of British Villainy to the mix and has an air of campness about him too.

The effects of the movie are, for a low budget film, extremely well made. The creatures are kept to the shadows until the end and when revealed, certainly don’t disappoint. They’re men-in-suits, but with a difference and there’s no CGI contained in the movie either, which gives the whole thing a grounded feel.

The only thing that lets the movie down is the running time, it’s just not long enough.
100 minutes? I wanted at least another hour.
Still, that doesn’t remove the fact that it’s an extremely good piece of writing, acting and shooting.

All in all it’s a thrill-ride of comedy, horror and realism, in a set of unreal but still, oddly believable circumstances.

My rating is an easily given 95%

Review #35: The Shawshank Redemption.

Another fantastic movie appearing in my reviews, based on Stephen King novella, Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption.

It revolves around a banker, Andy Dufresne, being incarcerated in Shawshank Prison for murdering his wife and her lover.
He’s subjected to beatings and rape by other inmates and eventually finds friends in some of the other inmates and even a few of the Guards due to his financial knowledge, eventually becoming a well known and respected inmate himself. Eventually he’s caught up in a money-laundering scam with the prison Warden.

Every day, he defends his innocence for the murders, claiming that he loved his wife.
After 30 years of imprisonment, possible evidence appears that he was actually telling the truth all along.

It’s a wonderfully shot and beautifully written movie, if at times very disturbing and brutal.
The story telling is extremely well put together. Some might say it’s a basic sequence of events but the little twists and turns and the occasional surprise in the plot make the movie a joy to watch.

The character writing is also absolutely well executed. They’re funny, rude, stupid at times, depressing, violent and very, very real.
You really care about the main group of characters and the odd hit of tragedy really hits the viewer hard.

At times the movie can be hard to watch because of the nature of nature and the human psyche that the movie delves into throughout the running time. Not hard in a boring way, hard in an emotional way, the movie encapsulates human nature better than any movie of its kind.

The acting is absolutely bang on the money from all parties, Tim Robbins excels in his best role I’ve ever seen him play as Dufresne. As the movie progresses his character changes incredibly, he even physically ages as the movie progresses.
Morgan Freeman as Ellis Boyde Redding, Dufresne’s best friend and cohort in the prison is brilliantly wise and yet approachable and friendly. The friendship between him and Dufresne is almost a kinship and the acting really shows their connection.
Clancy Brown is again the ‘hard case’ Guard who’s not afraid to dish out the occasional beating, typecast maybe but Brown is actually at his best. The brilliant writing of the characters gives him a human side, which makes you like his character to an extent.

All in all, it’s a very low key movie and feels low budget in the way it looks but don’t let that put anyone off, Shawshank is a movie that should be, no, must be viewed by anyone who enjoys movies. It has absolutely everything and certainly surprised me when I saw it for the first time. My rating 100%.
Very nice review. Shawshank Redemption is probably the best prison movie ever made.
Quite a while back (1969) there was a gritty prison movie you might find interesting called Riot. Jim Brown and Gene Hackman head the cast. Other prison theme movies I liked:

Bruebaker ( Robert Redford )
Dead Man Walking ( Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon)
The Green Mile ( Tom Hanks )
An Innocent Man ( Tom Selleck )
Monster Ball ( Billy Bob Thorton, Halley Berry, Heath Ledger)
Penitentiary I,II,III ( Leon Isaac Kennedy )
Runaway Train ( John Voight, Eric Roberts )
Undisputed I (Ving Rhames, Wesley Snipes), II ( Ben Cross ), III ( ScottAdkins)

Thanks for the list. Green Mile was good, might take a look at An Innocent Man though, I like Selleck.

Review #40: The Shining.

Based on Stephen King’s novel.

Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) takes a job at the Overlook Hotel when everyone has left during the winter closing season. His job involves taking care of the grounds and the inner workings of the hotel’s systems, including central heating, maintaining the electrics and basically keeping the hotel in one piece while nobody is there.

Stories about the last caretaker of the hotel murdering his family and then killing himself are ignored by Jack and he takes the job without much hesitation, bringing with him is his wife, Wendy, and their young son, Danny, to the hotel to stay with him over the winter months.
After only a short time the family are snowed in and Jack starts having bad dreams and behaves erratically, scaring Wendy and Danny.

When Danny too starts having nightmares and says there are strange people in the hotel with them, Wendy realises there’s something very wrong with Jack, Danny and the Overlook Hotel and has to fight for her and her son’s life to get away.

It’s another well-made horror movie from me, The Shining is one of the all time greats that shows exactly how to make a horror work.
The movie is exceptionally well put together in terms of writing and scene placement. As too are the sets used for the film, they’re claustrophobic at times with the long, thin, winding, identical corridors and extremely atmospheric and spooky when the movie extends to other parts of the hotel, including the outside maze in the hotel gardens.

The scenes of horror and violence in the film are also extremely well played by all the actors.

The movie also contains a lot of unanswered questions and leaves the viewer in a mild state of confusion at the end, which makes the movie all the more haunting.

There aren’t any special effects per say in the film but occasionally there are spooky flashbacks containing disturbing scenes, which are handled extremely well.

As for the acting, Nicholson is an absolute joy as the twisted Jack Torrance. He made it to #3 in my Top 40 Villains list. He’s edgy, twitchy and Nicholson even manages to get some (albeit satanic) humour out of the character.
Shelley Duvall as Wendy is more of a scream queen in the film. Hats off to Shelley though, she cries pretty much throughout the entire film and handles the quieter scenes with a motherly care, she is at times a little wooden though, which is probably the only bad thing in the film.
Danny Lloyd as the son, Danny, is another marvel. At only 7 years old he really hits the role with the professionalism of much older actors.

All in all a marvel of horror, gore and spooky thrills. An exceptional piece of work from Stanley Kubrick.

My rating 96%

All in all a well rendered CG film when the CGI is actually used. Sadly, it’s unintentionally funny, badly acted and certainly not worth the £16 that I paid for it on DVD. My rating 10%.
I'm with you(the acting didn't bother me though), really don't get the praise Troll Hunter has been getting. My blu-ray was only £9... I feel your pain.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I like your review style-- to the point and reasonable. And I find myself agreeing with much of your take on things, so you must be right!

I like your review style-- to the point and reasonable. And I find myself agreeing with much of your take on things, so you must be right!
I'm with you(the acting didn't bother me though), really don't get the praise Troll Hunter has been getting. My blu-ray was only £9... I feel your pain.
Cheers guys. Glad I'm doing a good job and you're enjoying my writing.

Coming up for reviews 41-50 are going to be mainly franchises and sequels and only three completely original movies (be prepared though, some of these are going to be torn apart).

41: Indiana Jones Foursome.
42: Rodriguez Predators.
43: Raimi's Spiderman Trilogy.
44: Rocky 1-6.
45: The Lost Boys.
46: Evolution.
47: Alien Franchise (including my review for Alien 3 from an earlier review).
48: The Lost World: Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 (plus a runover from my earlier Jurassic Park review).
49: Gremlins 1 & 2.
50: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original).