A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Phantom Planet?

They both got added to streaming services and I'm trying to decide if they should be on my watchlist.
Not top shelf 50's sci-fi, but upper shelves at least. Stuff happens, relatively original monster, takes place in space, etc. One I'd recommend, at least based on what I remember of it.

Also, is 1960 the greatest year in the history of Horror movies, or what?
I mean, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Eyes Without A Face, AND Psycho? Can any other year really match that, or even come close?

I mean, Black Sunday, Peeping Tom, Eyes Without A Face, AND Psycho? Can any other year really match that, or even come close?
1931 wrote the book on Gothic Horror in the Talkie Era, while also introducing serial killers into the mix.

Dracula (Melford)
Dracula (Browning)
Frankenstein
Jekyll/Hyde (best actor Oscar for F March)
M

Well, for what it's worth and to defend the credibility of the film, I have a device at work that would allow me to replace your entire blood volume in probably under 4 minutes.
And be alive at the end?

If so, please communicate this with the people at the Red Cross.

What would you all say is the highest profile and/or best-regarded horror film that you have not seen?
I still got more than a few dead spots. Most notably:

Peeping Tom
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
The Invisible Man (2020)
Us
Dawn of the Dead (original)

I still got more than a few dead spots. Most notably:

Peeping Tom
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
The Invisible Man (2020)
Us
Dawn of the Dead (original)
Which Bodysnatchers? (Or maybe both of them?)

Mine are:
Rosemary's Baby (which I'll never see, oh well)
King Kong (30s and 70s, the shame!)
The Birds (really never interested me)
Repulsion (another oh well)
The Omen (I've seen a lot of it when I was younger and maybe even the whole thing, but I just can't count as having seen it when I can't remember anything but a few moments)
Village of the Damned
Mad Love
Audition
Martyrs
The Fly
Opera
Devil Rides Out
Phenomena
Witchfinder General
Curse of the Cat People
Final Destination
Demons

I think Curse of the Demon is probably my biggest blind spot but I think I’ve covered a ton of ground.

Dead of Night, off the top of my head.
Actually, The Birds is probably the biggest one.

Which Bodysnatchers? (Or maybe both of them?)

Mine are:
Rosemary's Baby (which I'll never see, oh well)
King Kong (30s and 70s, the shame!)
The Birds (really never interested me)
Repulsion (another oh well)
The Omen (I've seen a lot of it when I was younger and maybe even the whole thing, but I just can't count as having seen it when I can't remember anything but a few moments)
Village of the Damned
Mad Love
Audition
Martyrs
The Fly
Opera
Devil Rides Out
Phenomena
Witchfinder General
Curse of the Cat People
Final Destination
Demons
I can understand Martyrs and some others on that list, but not Opera. It’s not graphic and is so gorgeous.

Also don’t you think the Polanski films are a cultural landmark of sorts that it’s a shame to miss out on? Especially on RB, it’s almost occult.

That aside, I’d have thought you would really like the original 1976 Omen and it’s kind of uncontroversial - why aren’t you keen to see it?

Actually, The Birds is probably the biggest one.
I’m going to be embarrassed for you, as I know you have no shame.

I think Curse of the Demon is probably my biggest blind spot but I think I’ve covered a ton of ground.
It is SO GOOD. Like it would probably make a top 10 horror list if I ever made one.

I can understand Martyrs and some others on that list, but not Opera. It’s not graphic and is so gorgeous.
Argento is pretty hit or miss for me. It's more a case of just not having gotten around to it.

Also don’t you think the Polanski films are a cultural landmark of sorts that it’s a shame to miss out on? Especially on RB, it’s almost occult.
Yeah, it's a shame in the sense of missing out on what is probably great art. But I would literally spend the whole runtime fuming about someone raping a child and getting away with it so . . . . well worth skipping in my case.

That aside, I’d have thought you would really like the original 1976 Omen and it’s kind of uncontroversial - why aren’t you keen to see it?
It's one of my sister's favorite films, and we keep talking about watching it together. She watched it a lot when we were teens, so I've seen it, but in that "bits and pieces" way, never start to finish. I'm not avoiding it, per se, just don't seem to get around to it.

But I would literally spend the whole runtime fuming about someone raping a child and getting away with it so
The rest of your post makes perfect sense, Argento is extremely hit-and-miss for me too - but is there child rape in RB? Where? 😱

I’m just flabbergasted as I must have seen it 60 times in my lifetime.

Rosemary herself is about 25.

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/1381592-how-old-is-rosemary-in-this-story

EDIT: okay, sorry, it just dawned on me that you mean Polanski himself. Long day. Yes, I do understand that.

It is such a unique film, I cannot imagine my film education without it. And Tippi is very sexy.
I found her kind of annoying in Marnie. But she did give the world Melanie, who then gave the world Body Double, so I suppose it evens out.

Argento is pretty hit or miss for me. It's more a case of just not having gotten around to it.
I think you might actually enjoy Phenomena quite a bit. It's got one of his better protagonists in Jennifer Connelly and a really good supporting role by Donald Pleasance. There's also a chimpanzee, who proves integral to the proceedings.

I found her kind of annoying in Marnie. But she did give the world Melanie, who then gave the world Body Double, so I suppose it evens out.
Well, that’s the point of Marnie. I love vampy bitches on screen and irl, but Marnie really was a bit much. Good chemistry with Connery, though; overall, I like the film.

She’s not a bad actress regardless.

The Birds apathy up in here is distressing to me.

Chimps > birds

Sorry, you can't argue with the food chain.