Movie Forums Top 100 of the Aughts (the 00s) - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Why does the header say "The deadline for the Top Films of the 2000s list is TODAY!" I thought it was due Dec. 2 (tomorrow.) We need all the votes we can get.

Ballot breakdown:

English: 20
'Foreign': 5

Drama: 3
Action: 3
War: 3
Comic book adaptation: 3
Mystery/Thriller: 2
Romance: 2
Crime: 2
Comedy: 1
Fantasy: 1
Adventure: 1
Musical: 1
Horror: 1
Sci-Fi: 1
Martial arts: 1

'00 - 5
'01 - 3
'02 - 4
'03 - 3
'04 - 2
'05 - 1
'06 - 2
'07 - 2
'08 - 2
'09 - 1

Features 9 Oscar winning movies.. with a combined total of 19 Oscars.

I tried to do a genre breakdown, but I nearly broke my brain while determining if movies on my list are crime dramas, crime thrillers, mystery thrillers or neo-noirs. Just label them as "crime," you say? Not good enough! Anyway, what we can take from this conundrum is that it was a good decade for all of them.

I tried to do a genre breakdown, but I nearly broke my brain while determining if movies on my list are crime dramas, crime thrillers, mystery thrillers or neo-noirs. Just label them as "crime," you say? Not good enough! Anyway, what we can take from this conundrum is that it was a good decade for all of them.
Yeah, I just looked at my Top 5 and didn't even know how to label them so I gave up

I can say I have...

3 "foreign" films
1 "romcom"
2 musicals

After that, genre definitions get a bit fuzzy.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
When is the Countdown scheduled to begin?

When is the Countdown scheduled to begin?
It depends on a couple of things, but hopefully, next Monday. We'll let you all know once we get all the ballots.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I think I have my list mostly sorted. Just need to go back through tonight. Like Mark asked, is the deadline TODAY as the menu shows? or tomorrow? What time/time zone (for any others like me straggling).

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

PST - Procrastinator Sweating Time?
Oh, I'm sure there'll be a good dose of that from now to then

Re: deadline. I actually wasn't positive whether today was the last day or not, and I had to update the header before going into work quickly, and I figured better to be wrong about it being earlier rather than later, since if I mess up the other way people miss the deadline entirely!

But yeah, I think tomorrow technically works, too. Sorry for any confusion.

Joking aside, while I didn't watch anything new for the countdown, my list is primarily personal favourites from the decade that I have watched multiple times each over the years, and still very much enjoy. That is, until I got to the last couple slots, which were a bit of a struggle to fill honestly, but they are films I'd happily watch again.

Decade breakdown:
'00 - 0
'01 - 4
'02 - 3
'03 - 5
'04 - 3
'05 - 1
'06 - 3
'07 - 1
'08 - 2
'09 - 3

Non-English language films: 13.5