MoFo Movie Roulette II (a movie watching participation event)

Tools    

I take that back. I found some thanks to letterboxd.

A Visitor to a Museum (1989; Konstantin Lopushanksy)

Divorce Italian Style (1961; Pietro Germi)

The Night of Counting the Years aka Al-Mummia (1969; Shadi Abdel Salam)

I think very highly of all three of these films and they are all very different from one another. I don't know if you would like all three of them, but surely at least one of these would do you right.

@Allaby
All three sound interesting. I haven't decide yet which I will watch.
For you, @jiraffejustin, I recommend:

Sleepaway Camp (1983)
Fargo (1996)
Annette (2021)

Hopefully, one of those will work for you.

Let the night air cool you off
I’ve seen Fargo before, but I have it in my watchlist because it’s due a rewatch. Not gonna ask for a replacement pick tho cause I’ll watch Sleepaway Camp

I’ve seen Fargo before, but I have it in my watchlist because it’s due a rewatch. Not gonna ask for a replacement pick tho cause I’ll watch Sleepaway Camp
Hope you enjoy it!

I need to work on my rating system. A lot of my scores are skewed towards the lower end of the scale because I was using 2.5 as a baseline for an all-around average film I liked. So now there are films I only rated say, a 2 that I actually found quite entertaining and would happily watch something similar.

When I have the time I'll probably go through and re-rate all my films within the context of their own genre or something, maybe base it more on pure enjoyment, even if the film has technical flaws.
There's no perfect rating system, just whatever works for someone. I just assumed that a 2 rating meant you hated a movie. I can see it would be a challenge to rate everything one has seen at Letterboxd, not sure if I could do it.

@Citizen Rules
Here are your options from me this round:

Another Round (2020)
Directed by: Thomas Vinterberg
Notes: Pacing and tone are similar to films you've enjoyed in past HoFs, so I think you might like this.

Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
Directed by: Isao Takahata
Notes: In case you're looking for some heartbreak.

The Producers (1967)
Directed by: Mel Brooks
Notes: This really feels like the kind of film you would've seen already, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if you just forgot to mark it off the site lists.
All solid choices and I would be happy to see any of them be nominated in a HoF. I hate to be predictable but I'll go with The Producers...and nope I haven't seen it before but yeah it seems like I should've by now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal

And here are your picks for this round! If the last one is too new let me know and I can replace it.

District B13 (2004)
Directed by: Pierre Morel
Notes: You said you've been meaning to check this out, so here's a chance. I actually just rewatched it and it's still a fun, fast-paced action flick I'd recommend. As a bonus, you can practice your French (though this isn't québécois haha)

Ikiru (1952)
Directed by: Akira Kurosawa
Notes: Am I just picking films you already showed interest in earlier in the thread? Maybe. I do think this is the kind of sad you'll enjoy though!

Nobody (2021)
Directed by: Ilya Naishuller
Notes: I wouldn't normally have gone with something so new, but your 2021 challenge "Nightmare Mode" still has a few slots for 2021 films and this is a great John Wick-like film that's worth a watch if you're in the mood for it.
Really great choices. I was bummed this summer when I missed checking out Nobody at the theater and if I was capable of finding a link for it, THAT would have been my choice. And I AM curious about B13 and, like Nobody, could not locate a link.
Leaving me with one that, when I remarked on it, was very curious to see who would jump on it, so I will happily go with Ikiru.
THANK YOU COSMIC!!

@edarsenal

Space Station 76 (2014) Yes, it's only rated a mere 4.9, but those people missed the point of the movie! It's not a sci-fi blockbuster action movie, it's more of a commentary on life in the 1970s. I do think someone who experienced the 1970s would get the most out of the movie. Just don't let the opening credit scene, throw you for a loop.
In the first 1 minute of the film, I formed an opinion that turned out to be 180 degrees wrong and I ended up really liking it.

Alice's Restaurant (1969) This is truly a one of a kind movie, made in 1969 about young people 'hippies' and featuring Arlo Gutherie who so fits this movie, he's good in it too. The movie making itself feels like a free form 'hippie' type movie (I mean that in a good way). I think you'd dig it! I sure did. A happy film.

I Love You to Death (1990) Filmed in the city I grew up in, with some cool local landmarks like Bob's Java Jive, oh and Phoebe Cates never looked cuter, though she only has a cameo.
LOVE Love You To Death. Seen it so very many times since it came out and for a long time owned a copy. Great film with a great cast. Always a great laugh.
I checked out Space Station 76 and really liked the cast and I do admit being VERY curious, but Alice's Restaurant seemed to call out to me, a little louder than the others.
I think I might have seen this on Local TV Night at the Movies as a tiny whelp and throughout my life I've been curious to watch a film about the excellent Arlo Guthrie song about having a Thanksgiving dinner that can't be beat and being arrested for littering that would play every Thanksgiving on the Radio well into the nineties.
THANKS CR!!

I'll get some nominations up in a bit for ya both

@CosmicRunaway

For you:

Memories of Murder (2003) returning the favor for Ikiru and knowing how much you will most likely enjoy this when I saw it on your watchlist, it was an instant addition.

The Assassin (2015) This is actually from my watchlist on Hulu and while I haven't seen it yet, I will be so it's a bit of a blind grab.

Robin and Marian (1976) This final one is an endeared rarely known gem of a film that I had as a One-Pointer in the Seventies Countdown. Robin Hood (Sean Connery) and Maid Marian (Audrey Hepburn) are middle-aged and Robin has just returned from The Crusades for the past twenty years with King Richard (Richard Harris). She is over him and has taken up a life as a nun. It also stars Robert Shaw as The Sheriff of Nottingham, seeing that his old nemesis has returns looks to finish old quarrels. It's fun, amusing with a great play on legendary heroes who have gotten a bit old in the tooth.

and @Citizen Rules

For You:

Le Deuxième Souffle (1966) A Melville crime noir that I can't remember if you've seen, but definitely need to if you haven't.

Rango (2011) an incredibly well-done animation with some truly excellent world-building that give serious props to a number of old westerns as well as Chinatown. Admittedly, a bit of a long shot, but one I've been tempted to shoot your way in the Personal Rec HoFs because I have a strong suspicion you may truly enjoy it.

A Taste of Honey (1961) If I remember correctly you were intrigued to see this when it was nominated for me in a Personal Rec HoF. So. . .

I checked out Space Station 76 and really liked the cast and I do admit being VERY curious, but Alice's Restaurant seemed to call out to me, a little louder than the others.
You chose wisely I don't think anyone would rate Space Station 76 above a 3.5, well except for me, my review spoiler free.

and @Citizen Rules

For You:

Le Deuxième Souffle (1966) A Melville crime noir that I can't remember if you've seen, but definitely need to if you haven't.

Rango (2011) an incredibly well-done animation with some truly excellent world-building that give serious props to a number of old westerns as well as Chinatown. Admittedly, a bit of a long shot, but one I've been tempted to shoot your way in the Personal Rec HoFs because I have a strong suspicion you may truly enjoy it.

A Taste of Honey (1961) If I remember correctly you were intrigued to see this when it was nominated for me in a Personal Rec HoF. So. . .
Nice choices! and would be happy to see all of them. I will go with the 'long shot' Rango. The screen shot of the chameleon seems to be calling to me and I need a light, fun movie right now.

The Producers (Mel Brooks,1967)

Every time I looked through my MoFo movie list, I would see this movie and wonder about it. Now I know! I'm hungry and dinner is awaiting (me to make it that is)...so I'll get right to the point. I liked this. I'm glad I watched it. I think the movie nails it for the intended audience...but I've never been a fan of Mel Brooks' style of bawdy, slapstick, loud comedy. I mean he does it so well, but it's just not my gig. After we watched this I asked my wife what she thought and she said the first part in the office was too long and the second part about making the play 'Springtime for Hitler' was too short, and the ending was too rushed. Yeah I agree with that and would add that while I loved the cast, Kenneth Mars was too over the top and I hardly knew what he was even saying. Not his fault, I'm sure Mel Brooks told him to go all out crazy.

As a plus I did think the actual play they did was funny as hell! I would have loved to seen more about that.

You chose wisely I don't think anyone would rate Space Station 76 above a 3.5, well except for me, my review spoiler free.

Nice choices! and would be happy to see all of them. I will go with the 'long shot' Rango. The screen shot of the chameleon seems to be calling to me and I need a light, fun movie right now.
And then this should do the trick --- I hope! lol

Sorry I didn't respond sooner guys, but I've been busier than usual the last couple of days. So glad the weekend is almost here!
As Far as My Feet Will Carry Me 'So weit die Füße tragen" (2001) I've seen this twice and really liked it.

The Blue Light 'Das blaue Licht' (1932) I thought this was kinda cool especially the cinematography for 1932.

Giovanni's Island 'Jobanni no shima' (2014)
I seen this in a HoF and was impressed.
I don't think I've even heard of any of these before. Finally had a chance to watch some trailers, and I think I'm leaning towards Das blaue Licht, but I'll have to see what I'm in the mood for this weekend. If there's one you have a hunch that I'll like more, feel free to let me know!

Memories of Murder (2003) returning the favor for Ikiru and knowing how much you will most likely enjoy this when I saw it on your watchlist, it was an instant addition.

The Assassin (2015) This is actually from my watchlist on Hulu and while I haven't seen it yet, I will be so it's a bit of a blind grab.

Robin and Marian (1976) This final one is an endeared rarely known gem of a film that I had as a One-Pointer in the Seventies Countdown. Robin Hood (Sean Connery) and Maid Marian (Audrey Hepburn) are middle-aged and Robin has just returned from The Crusades for the past twenty years with King Richard (Richard Harris). She is over him and has taken up a life as a nun. It also stars Robert Shaw as The Sheriff of Nottingham, seeing that his old nemesis has returns looks to finish old quarrels. It's fun, amusing with a great play on legendary heroes who have gotten a bit old in the tooth.
I think I've seen some clips from Robin and Marian, or maybe I caught part of it on tv before, since it looks quite familiar. I was really hoping someone would pick Memories of Murder for me at some point during the roulette, since I've been meaning to watch it for awhile now. I recently added The Assassin to my watchlist too (after stumbling upon it on a letterboxd list), so I'll almost certainly go with one of those. Definitely leaning towards Memories of Murder though.

As a plus I did think the actual play they did was funny as hell! I would have loved to seen more about that.
Definitely agree! Also, the amount of times I've caught myself humming "Springtime for Hitler" at work over the years is pretty ridiculous. At least I'm not singing the lyrics, in case someone unfamiliar with the film hears me.

Anybody have any idea what's going on with BooBoo?
He said he was going to be gone for awhile but I don't think he said when he'd be back?...
Hey guys, should be good to do this next film for this week. The following week I will either be late or won’t be able to do it.

Taking a trip up to Boston from the 31-5.

Definitely agree! Also, the amount of times I've caught myself humming "Springtime for Hitler" at work over the years is pretty ridiculous. At least I'm not singing the lyrics, in case someone unfamiliar with the film hears me.
Have you seen the 2005 The Producers with Matthew Broderick? Think I'll watch that one too.

I watched Divorce Italian Style (1961), as suggested by @jiraffejustin. Directed by Pietro Germi, the film stars Marcello Mastroianni as a man who wants to marry his hot young cousin. The problem is he is already married and divorce is illegal. He comes up with a scheme to get his wife to cheat on him so he can have an excuse to kill her. This was well made film with a smart and witty screenplay. Mastroianni is quite good as the horny rascal. Cinematography was very nicely done too. Good recommendation, jiraffejustin.